Awesome LED Flashlights and Headlamps

feedhorn
feedhorn Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭
There is nothing like a Li-Ion 18650 powered flashlight.

The 1000 lumen Ultra Fire C8 from Amazon.com is a killer deal.

Its got the Cree XML T6 LED that rocks.

Three brightness levels saves on battery and low leakage means it works when you need it.

Then of course you need an 18650 powered headlamp too.

Comments

• jeffkruse
    jeffkruse Solar Expert Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    Re: Awesome LED Flashlights and Headlamps

You are correct, these new LED flashlights are incredible. I love the single Li 18650 form. A quality protected cell is up to 3400mAH.
    With the new XML- T6 (old) or U2/U3 emitters you can have almost 800lm for over an hour.

My favorite handhelds are the Zebra SC600w or the Fenix PD32UE. XML’s have a nice mix of flood and throw. The new SC600mkII should be coming out soon but it will not be a white version, they come months later.

I go caving and diving and love a hobby that has me use the best flashlights with the best batteries 
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    jeffkruse wrote: »

I go caving and diving and love a hobby that has me use the best flashlights with the best batteries 

I got my first LED dive light right before a trip to Cozumel last year. Aside from the slightly bluish tint, I like it a lot. I get to use it again in about 6 weeks!
  • jeffkruse
    ggunn wrote: »
    I got my first LED dive light right before a trip to Cozumel last year. Aside from the slightly bluish tint, I like it a lot. I get to use it again in about 6 weeks!

Enjoy your trip!

I mentioned the lights I did because they are the "white" versions. The SC600w is a very nice color. The Fenix PD32UE is nice but not as nice as the SC600w. I will wait for the SC600 MKII to come out with a warm color, probably in a few months since the cool version just started shipping yesterday.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I have had the Fenix, and there is these lights I really like.

https://www.foursevens.com/products/flashlights/Pro

I use the 2 cell CR123, however they do have one and two cell AA lights too (not as high of output with AA cells).

The ability to start with a low level of light (that can last for weeks on set of batteries, to a mini-spotlight for an hour or two on high--They can be used almost everywhere.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ggunn
    Enjoy your trip!
    That's the plan. You ever dive Cozumel?
  • jeffkruse
    ggunn wrote: »
    That's the plan. You ever dive Cozumel?

No, but I did do some diving in Akumal. Make sure you dive some cenotes/caverns. Either way you will have a good time!
  • ggunn
    No, but I did do some diving in Akumal. Make sure you dive some cenotes/caverns. Either way you will have a good time!
    Man, you've gotta dive the walls and pinnacles off Cozumel next time you go down there; the diving on the mainland side of the channel pales by comparison. I've been diving Cozumel every May for the past 15+ years and I never get tired of it.

I dove the Dos Ojos cenotes a couple of years ago and it was indeed very cool - in all senses of the word. I enjoyed them very much.
  • Shadowcatcher
    Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

I hate to say this but all of my LED flashlights came from Harbor Freight and are loaded with NiMh batteries that are recharged by a Maha smart charger. When boondocking the solar panel on the teardrop can recharge the batteries. Some times quantity has a quality all its own and these are free or dirt cheap.
  • feedhorn
    I hate to say this but all of my LED flashlights came from Harbor Freight and are loaded with NiMh batteries that are recharged by a Maha smart charger. When boondocking the solar panel on the teardrop can recharge the batteries. Some times quantity has a quality all its own and these are free or dirt cheap.

For 20 to 30 dollars you can get an 18650 flashlight with battery and charger. What your life is missing is the awesome joy of lighting up your camp with a light that is a good 100 times brighter than Harbor Freight. You don't know what you are missing!

Enjoy Life !
  • feedhorn

BTW: You can harvest good 18650 batteries from old laptop batteries. Laptop batteries usually fail due to 1 or 2 weak cells. Take out the cells and test them. I have some old laptop cells that are over 15 years old and still retain 1500 mah. They loose very little charge while in storage so you can expect them to be good when you need them.
  • jeffkruse
    feedhorn wrote: »
    BTW: You can harvest good 18650 batteries from old laptop batteries. Laptop batteries usually fail due to 1 or 2 weak cells. Take out the cells and test them. I have some old laptop cells that are over 15 years old and still retain 1500 mah. They loose very little charge while in storage so you can expect them to be good when you need them.

True but you should only use unprotected cells in lights that have built in protection. 18650 Li have and do blow up.
    The best NiMh batteries are the Enloops. They come in two versions. 2000mAH with many recharge cycles and 2500mAH with less recharge cycles. Do yourself a favor, don't buy anything but Official Enloops.