Can anyone guess what motor is in this turbine?

coboda
coboda Registered Users Posts: 6
I've searching online now for days and can't seem to find much info on high output wind turbines (100kwh - 250kwh) as far as specs and techinical information is concerned.

Here's one turbine I was peeping http://www.powerworks.com/250kw_wind_turbine.aspx
They claim it can produce up to 500,000kwh per year. They say technical info is available by request only ,and so far no reply.

I want to know what motors can be used to get this range of output and hopefully a schematic.

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Can anyone guess what motor is in this turbine?

Welcome to the forum.
    Very likely the only motors in this turbine would be for blade pitch control, directional control and equipment cooling.
    The company probably doesn't bother responding to inquires from the general public and concentrate instead on probable purchasers. These would be very expensive units designed for large users. If they won't answer you, I can only wish you luck in finding answers.
  • coboda
    coboda Registered Users Posts: 6
    Welcome to the forum.
    Very likely the only motors in this turbine would be for blade pitch control, directional control and equipment cooling.
    The company probably doesn't bother responding to inquires from the general public and concentrate instead on probable purchasers. These would be very expensive units designed for large users. If they won't answer you, I can only wish you luck in finding answers.

What's generating the electricity then?
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    coboda wrote: »
    What's generating the electricity then?

Large and powerful generators driven by the turbine blades.
    You could try googling "large wind turbine generators".
  • ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭

As wayne said, the motors in that turbine will be blade pitch motors, yaw drive motors on the yaw deck, and hydraulic pump drive motors for the hydraulic systems. The generators in them are geared induction type and they are usually custom manufactured by the wind turbine manufacturer because they are model specific. The transmissions are typically made by Winergy (90% market share), however in a small 250 kW turbine like this it is probably bought from the cheapest Chinese bidder.
    --
    Chris
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Too many people think "generator" and "motor" are interchangeable. They find out they are not when they follow some of those on-line plans for making your own wind turbine from a motor and are disappointed with the results.
  • ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭

The generator in the class turbine in question is indeed a "motor". It is a synchronous induction type. These turbines are not self-starting. The generator draws three-phase power from the grid to "motor" the turbine up to its design rotor operating rpm where the generator syncs with the grid frequency and then the wind drives the blades and it starts to put power back into the grid. The operating voltage of a 250-600 kW class turbine will be in the range of 2,300 to 7,200 volts.
    --
    Chris