Sunny Island 5048 problem

Options
pa1ch
pa1ch Registered Users Posts: 1
Hello,

I have recently bought a SI5048 and some Rolls batteries. Everything is installed and works except I am having problems getting my generator to connect.
It seems to go out of voltage. There doesn't seem to be much I can do about this.

The menu option for changing generator voltage will not increase from it's default value. I press enter and it goes back to 249.9V. It is supposed to be able
to increase to around 270V according to the manual. I have tried altering the frequency limits of the generator up and down and these will change.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks.

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Sunny Island 5048 problem
    pa1ch wrote: »
    The menu option for changing generator voltage will not increase from it's default value. I press enter and it goes back to 249.9V. It is supposed to be able
    to increase to around 270V according to the manual. I have tried altering the frequency limits of the generator up and down and these will change.

Looking at an online copy of the manual, it shows that the external AC voltage (not specifically mentioning generator) is adjustable over the range from 175 to 250. The 250 seems consistent with the 249.9 you report.
    My guess is that you must increase this value (which is password protected, as described in the manual) before any other voltage-related parameters can be increased beyond that point.

Or possibly whatever in the documentation that gave you the impression that it could be set as high as 270 is wrong?

This may also vary depending on whether you are in the 220 volt 60 Hz or 230 volt 50 Hz mode.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    Re: Sunny Island 5048 problem

Another possibility--Get a 100 Watt filament lamp (or small resistive heater) and attach to the genset--Sometimes the extra load is just enough to stabilize the generator (alternator's) output enough for the inverter/charger to lock on.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset