Solar for scooter?

Options
berrabri
berrabri Registered Users Posts: 1
Hello I am NEW member how do you post A new thread here . i have a electric scooter i would like to put a 40w solar panel on the back and was wondering if this will charge my 48 v battery pac . opr how long it will take Thankyou bye Berrabri

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar for scooter?

Welcome to the forum.

I've moved this to a new thread all its own. :D

To start your own thread you select an appropriate section such as "Solar Beginners Corner". On the first screen in that section there's a blue 'button' in the upper left that says "+Post New Thread". Click that to begin a new thread.

A single 40 Watt panel isn't going to do anything for your scooter battery for two reasons: it won't be high enough Voltage (a panel that size is typically for 12 Volt systems) and even it if were it wouldn't produce much current to affect the charge (a 40 Watt panel @ "48 Volts" would be a mere 0.5 Amps).

People have speculated on the efficacy of putting panels on golf carts (36 Volt systems, more room for panel) but at best it would slow the discharge only slightly. The scooter application would be far less effective.