Why aren't Wind Controllers MPPT?

Timinator
Timinator Solar Expert Posts: 32
Wouldn't the same conditions and voltages exisit while wind generators are producing power that would benefit from MPPT technology? For the most part, MPPT controllers for don't seem to be near as "popular".

Also, I asked one person regarding his MPPT controller, "you mention both PWM and MPPT in your ad, which is it?" this is the response I got back "thanks for your attention,the control mode for charging is PWM,
When the LCD shows “ABSORB” or “FLOAT”, the charging is not using MPPT,
it uses PWM to control the precise voltage to protect the battery."

Does that sound right to you?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Why aren't Wind Controllers MPPT?

Actually some wind turbine controllers are MPPT. MidNite's Classic + Clipper being the best example. It is simply cheaper and easier for most companies to use a PWM as a diversion controller.

As far as the other question, it is correct that the MPPT function of down-converting higher Voltage to greater current occurs mainly during Bulk. Once the current demands have been met and it is necessary to regulate the Voltage level of the system (backed by current capacity against fluctuating loads) the MPPT controllers turn on and off rapidly just like a PWM does.

Most companies do not use both terms in describing their MPPT controllers because it confuses people.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Re: Why aren't Wind Controllers MPPT?

All controllers are PWM in that they Pulse Width Modulate the input voltage to down-convert it to the output voltage. The reason solar PV also needs MPPT is that the voltage/current characteristic of a PV cell is non-linear and by using a smart algorithum to find the "knee" of the I-V curve significant efficiency gains can be made. The generator of a wind-turbine has a much more linear characteristic and can be operated efficiently at whatever system voltage you design it for.