Hi

Edwardo
Edwardo Registered Users Posts: 16
I've been reading posts on the site off and on for a few years.My wife and I have some land and will be building a small 480sqft place this year.
We have decided to have off-grid solar but I will need help designing a system.I will post more specific info later on in the off-grid section.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Hi

Welcome to the forum.

How's things in Sooke? Having fun in the snow? :D:p

If you've been reading the site you probably already know the off-grid litany, so I won't repeat it. ;)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Welcome to the forum Edwardo.

As always, we recommend with conservation and paying attention to details (and power usage) of your loads. First, it is almost always cheaper to conserve... And second, it can dramatically reduce the hardware and maintenance costs of your off grid power system.

As a start for comparisons... Figure on around $1-$2 per kWH for the cost of off grid power (or ~10x the cost of utility power)--And buy your appliances based on that (a more expensive, but more efficient appliance can save lots of money for the long term).

For short term power usage (such as building your home), a couple of gensets (smaller Honda/Yamaha type inverter generator and a larger/noisy/fuel hungry one for those occasional larger loads such as large saws and arc welders when needed). If you will be living on site--A small battery + solar array with backup AC charger from your generator(s) for lights/radio/tv/laptop/cell phone charger at night).

Unless you have lived off grid before--It is usually pretty difficult to predict how much power you will use before you actually move off grid and designing/building a system could be over or undersized for your needs.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Edwardo

I install power poles at work,however even building the line myself and adding in the cost of BC hydro take over fees were looking at around $8000.00 dollars.The power provider then wants an easement of 20 feet on each side of the powerline where I can't build,have septic etc.I would rather be independent and use my yard as I please.
  • Cariboocoot
    Edwardo wrote: »
    I would rather be independent and use my yard as I please.

Good luck with that. You'd be amazed (appalled) by the number of government agencies that think they have the right to tell you what you can do with your yard.

Out in the middle of nowhere at our cabin we are ruled over by Forestry, Lands, Environment, Fisheries, and the Cariboo Regional District - all of whom are simply standing there with their hand out so you can pay them to say "no". :grr

Why yes, I did just have a run-in with brainless bureaucrats recently! How ever did you guess? :p
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

You left off Health (septic) from the list...

His name didn't happen to be Chris did it?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Edwardo
    Welcome to the forum.

How's things in Sooke? Having fun in the snow? :D:p

If you've been reading the site you probably already know the off-grid litany, so I won't repeat it. ;)
    We only had one small snow fall this year:(
  • Cariboocoot
    westbranch wrote: »
    You left off Health (septic) from the list...

His name didn't happen to be Chris did it?

Don't know; he won't sign any of the forms, just makes a lot of unnecessary changes. The day one of those dimwits knows more about buildings than I do is the day I actually have died.