RV Solar Calculations to recharge electric scooters

Options
soylentgreen
soylentgreen Solar Expert Posts: 111 ✭✭
Proof my calculations please? Be nice! :p

System:
Batteries: 2 X Trojan T145s in series (approx 220A x 6V *2) = 2640Wh
Solar: 3 x 85w solartech spm 85s (3*85 = 255W nameplate)

Load:
Recharge 2 currie ezip 750 electric scooters once per day?
battery packs: 24v*12AH = 288Wh

Scenario:
Desert Southwest in August (PVWatts suggests 7.0 hours of insolation). Panels on tilted roof (south facing at just about latitude angle)

Question:
How many times can this system recharge the scooters per day?

Calculations
Power: 7.0 hours * 255 W = 1785Wh nameplate. Derate by 85% = about 1500Wh/day.
Load: 288Wh * 2 scooters = 576WH. Derate by 80% (???) for charging inefficiencies = 720Wh/day.

Answer 1: this could recharge each scooter as many as 2 times per day if no clouds, indefinitely.
Answer 2 : if willing to discharge the RV battery system to 50% this would give another 1000WH-approx, so could still manage about 1 (maybe 2) days of overcast?

Questions:
1. I'd guess the scooters stop working before exhausting their battery packs fully, so the 24*12 estimate is conservative.
Any ideas what a normal "full discharge" of an electric scooter is? (These use SLA 12V batteries)

2. Is my 85% derating for the solar system realistic (this is a PWM charge controller, not a MPPT)

3. My 80% estimate at charge efficiency is a SWAG.

4. Ambient temperatures may be in the 90Fs or 100Fs - does this monkey-wrench anything?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: RV Solar Calculations to recharge electric scooters

Let's see ...
    Panels on a PWM controller means about 4.8 Amps each * 3 = 14.4 Amps * 12 Volts = 172 Watts.

12 Amp hour 24 Volt batteries? How are you getting the 12 Volts from the panels up to 24 Volts for the batteries?

Do you have the recommended charge rate from the manufacturer? Like the power info of the standard (plug in) chargers?

Why are you using the Trojans at all? Can you not put two of the 85 Watt panels in series to get 24 Volts & 4.8 Amps and run that through the PWM controller directly to the scooter batteries? It would still be quite a bit of current (even for two). They probably would only need (be able to take) half that.

Got to get the Voltages lined up first or else it won't work at all. Then bring the current in-line.
  • soylentgreen
    Options

Good questions. I neglected to mention the middle part:

Solar panels are in parallel, and go to 12V battery bank via the PWM charger controller. 12V battery bank is connected to 120VAC inverter (not true sine wave) which goes to the battery charger that comes with the scooters. I believe the battery charger takes 8-10 hours for a full charge.

The RV system (solar + batteries + charge controller + inverter) are already installed, so please consider those as fixed variables in the equation.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Okay, that makes more sense.

Now, how much power does the scooter charger actually use? Plug it in through a Kill-A-Watt and run charge cycle and you'll know for sure.

Another possible issue is that the scooter charger may not take kindly to the MSW inverter's output. It may also just not recharge fully.

Otherwise the 255 Watts of panel would probably provide 928 Watt hours AC. If the usage is 50% SOC that's 288 Watt hours for both scooters so it's about 3 "fill ups". The charger efficiency/profile and battery Peukart curve will affect this in somewhat unpredictable way. But 2 recharges per day should certainly be possible on a practical basis.

Do the Trojans run nothing else? Because anything powered will take away from the power potential and reduce the recharging of the scooters. You might want a couple of 40 Watt panels and an MS 4.5 Amp PWM controller to charge them directly. Or you might not. Whichever. :D
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

Hi Sovlentgreen,
    Proof my calculations please? Be nice! :p

System:
    Batteries: 2 X Trojan T145s in series (approx 220A x 6V *2) = 2640Wh

That is good--Note that is at a (typically) C/20 or 20 hour discharge rate. Or ~22 amp discharge (264 watt) rate of discharge. If you discharge faster, your battery bank will appear to have less capacity.
    Solar: 3 x 85w solartech spm 85s (3*85 = 255W nameplate)

The "typical maximum" charging current during the middle of the day will be:
    • 255 Watts * 1/14.5 volts charging * 0.77 panel+controller derating = 13.54 amps

The rate of charge for this battery bank:
    • 13.54 amp / 220 Amp*Hour = 0.062 = 6.2% rate of charge

We typically recommend charging at a 5% to 13% rate of charge--So your current array is a bit on the "small" side--But will work fine (ideally, you recharge the T145 batteries during the day and recharge the scooters at night). If you want to recharge a lot/mostly during the day, you should have an array that is larger by the charging current for the scooters (i.e., 5% minimum charge + XX amps for scooter charging--To make sure the battery bank is correctly recharged).
    Load:
    Recharge 2 currie ezip 750 electric scooters once per day?
    battery packs: 24v*12AH = 288Wh

Scenario:
    Desert Southwest in August (PVWatts suggests 7.0 hours of insolation). Panels on tilted roof (south facing at just about latitude angle)

That 7 hours sounds a bit on the high side (except for a couple months a year). But using your numbers, assuming you use an AC inverter + AC battery charger (guesses at typical efficiency):
    • 255 Watts * 0.77 panel+controller derate * 7 hours sun * 0.80 flooded cell eff * 0.85 inverter eff * 0.85 scooter charger eff = 794 Watt*Hours per day (summer?)
    • 794 WH per day / 288 WH to battery pack = ~2.8 charges per day (charge T145 during day, recharge scooters at night)
    Calculations
    Power: 7.0 hours * 255 W = 1785Wh nameplate. Derate by 85% = about 1500Wh/day.
    Load: 288Wh * 2 scooters = 576WH. Derate by 80% (???) for charging inefficiencies = 720Wh/day.

There are lots of deratings--And it it is not unusual to derate from solar array to 12 VAC output (through inverter) of 0.52 (52% efficiency). You can look at my above equation and change it based on your setup (i.e., if you charge direct from 12 VDC--no AC Inverter, and your scooter charger is more/less than 85% efficient, etc.).

And--if you charge during the day, you could save much of the 80% of T145 battery losses.
    Answer 1: this could recharge each scooter as many as 2 times per day if no clouds, indefinitely.
    Answer 2 : if willing to discharge the RV battery system to 50% this would give another 1000WH-approx, so could still manage about 1 (maybe 2) days of overcast?

Depending on your location/weather (much of Arizona has the summer Monsoon season). Typically we use 4 hours of sun for 9+ months of the year. Few places are >6 hours of "noon time equivalent" sun per day during the summer.

Solar panels only work well in full sun/no shade. If you have a week of cloudy weather, it is very possible to have 50% or less energy collection... Very dark/stormy days, you can be less than 5% of rated winter output.

So--either you have to assume that you will not recharge during extended bad weather--and/or use backup power sources during this time (grid, backup genset, etc.).

Worst case, no sun:
    220 AH * 12 volts * 0.85 inverter eff * 0.85 charger efficiency * 1/ 288 WH per charge = 6.6 charges to drain T145 by 50%

Of course, you probably will get some sun, so you will recharge when the sun pokes back out. Note that Lead Acid batteries should be recharged back over >~75% state of charge after a couple of days. If you let lead acid batteries sit for weeks/months/etc. below ~75% state of charge, they will sulfate and lose capacity (and fail after a few months or year of such cycling).
    Questions:
    1. I'd guess the scooters stop working before exhausting their battery packs fully, so the 24*12 estimate is conservative.
    Any ideas what a normal "full discharge" of an electric scooter is? (These use SLA 12V batteries)

2. Is my 85% derating for the solar system realistic (this is a PWM charge controller, not a MPPT)

3. My 80% estimate at charge efficiency is a SWAG.

4. Ambient temperatures may be in the 90Fs or 100Fs - does this monkey-wrench anything?

Your best bet--Get a Kill-a-Watt type meter (if doing AC charging) and/or a DC Watt*Hour/Amp*Hour meter for DC charging (and measuring battery charging numbers directly). If you are going to be doing a lot of DC off grid/battery charging--I would also suggest an inexpensive DC Current Clamp / DMM (much safer and faster than measuring current with a typical DMM where you have to "break the wire" to insert the meter).

I would use ~0.82 derating for solar panels, and 0.95 derating for charge controller.

PWM vs MPPT, for a first approximation with properly selected solar panels (Vmp~17.5 to 18.6 volts or so), there is not a huge difference in "efficiency". The operational details of the controllers are quite different, if you want to discuss them more.

Regarding high temperatures--A couple of issues. Vmp for the panels "falls" as temperature rises... Can drop as much as 20% in very hot/sunny weather. In some cases, the "low" Vmp may not be high enough to full charge/equalize a battery bank. If you are operating in very hot temperatures--Using a higher voltage Vmp-array with a MPPT type charge controller can take care of the low Vmp / battery charging voltage issue (MPPT controllers take high voltage/low current and efficiently down-convert to low voltage/high current for the battery bank).

The other issue is batteries are usually rated (life time, voltages, etc.) at ~77F. Hot batteries will "age" faster--Approximately 1/2 life for every 18F over 77F). Also, there are remote battery temperature sensor options for many charge controllers--Reduces the charging voltage set point for "hot" batteries. For fast charging, a RBTS can be a good safety device (prevent thermal run away).

I will stop typing here--Don't want to go too deep on the first reply.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • soylentgreen
    Options

Great (and fast) answers, thanks to you both - this forum rocks as usual :)

It sounds like my original calculations are in the ballpark, which is reassuring.

More comments/questions:

* if the Vmpp falls 20% due to temperature, does this kill the Wmpp also? Or does it actually help since it drops the voltage from 17.5ish down to 14ish which is better for the batteries, so the PWM charge controller can just basically shunt the PV directly to the battery w/o doing any PWM at all? Or is it bad, and actually causes a 20% loss of wattage?

* Issues such as battery degredation, 7 hours of sun. etc : I'm really talking about one week in the high summer which is almost always hot & sunny. If I slag the batteries that's not a giant worry.

* I don't actually own the scooters, this is recon / research, but I agree that kill-a-watt is the way to go to figure out what a "full charge" actually takes.

* I'd love to get a true sine wave inverter - any ideas if this would matter with these sorts of 120VAC to 24VAC battery chargers?
  • soylentgreen
    Options

Another idea: have extra battery packs, so the scooters can be driven during the day while the extra batteries are charging. That would reduce the round trip losses from PV to battery back to inverter.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Temperature will bring the panel Voltage down and thus the calculated panel Wattage, but it has little effect on the current. Since panel Voltage is higher than battery Voltage anyway (you hope) you aren't really dealing with Vmp * Imp on a PWM controller anyway. As long as the panel Voltage doesn't sink below the charging point it still works. There would actually be a greater effect on an MPPT controller, because one of those scrapes up extra charge current from the higher Voltage that the PWM simply "ignores".

The PWM function, by the way, occurs at the Absorb and Float stages; the controller switches the panels on and off (rapidly) to maintain the Voltage set points.

I don't know about those chargers specifically, but notoriously battery chargers are one of the things that have trouble with MSW. I found my NiCad tool charger worked, but would not bring it up to full charge (V-reference is based on input Voltage which it read incorrectly because it can't read true RMS).

The extra battery packs that can charge while others are in use is always a good idea. :D
  • soylentgreen
    Options

A note for posterity: I claimed that PVWatts was giving me 7 hours full-sun equivalent in august in the desert. I was wrong : it was giving me 7.0 kWH/m**2 of insolation for a 1KW panel. Back calculating, this turns out to be only 4.67w*h per day per W of panel. However, the PVWatts calculator uses a .77 derate by default, so I was double-derating in my calculations. If I remove the .77 derate then I end up with about 6.3 full-sun-equivalent hours / day. About 10% lower than I thought.

However, the actual spot is about 4000 ft of elevation - is there a rule of thumb for how altitude affects PV capture? I would assume that higher = less atmosphere = more sun, all things being equal?
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    A note for posterity: I claimed that PVWatts was giving me 7 hours full-sun equivalent in august in the desert. I was wrong : it was giving me 7.0 kWH/m**2 of insolation for a 1KW panel. Back calculating, this turns out to be only 4.67w*h per day per W of panel. However, the PVWatts calculator uses a .77 derate by default, so I was double-derating in my calculations. If I remove the .77 derate then I end up with about 6.3 full-sun-equivalent hours / day. About 10% lower than I thought.

However, the actual spot is about 4000 ft of elevation - is there a rule of thumb for how altitude affects PV capture? I would assume that higher = less atmosphere = more sun, all things being equal?

Yup. About 1% more irradiation per 1,000 feet of elevation, assuming everything else is equal (temp, cloud cover, humidity).

That's why my system runs 82% efficient and not 77%; higher altitude and cooler temps. :D