Custom Charging settings for my AGM batteries -- let me know if I'm still too dim....

Options
cdherman
cdherman Solar Expert Posts: 32 ✭✭
OK, recently aquired a Xantrex Prosine 2.0 Charger/Inverter to use as UPS for critical loads in my home. I tend towards overkill......

Picked up a pair of Interstate AGM bats (good deal???) -- ALL I can get after hours of searches is the following details:

DCM0100 100 AH at 20 hour rate to 1.75 VPC at 77F
Equalization and Cycle Service Charging and Current Limits (from Interstate Bat website spec sheet), 14.5 V – 14.9 V 40A

From Battery label: Float Charge Voltage 13.5 to 13.8 at 77F, Cycle Charge Voltage 14.4 to 14.8 at 77F

Now, the Prosine has some generic templates for flooded, gel and AGM bats, and then some other templates that I cannot seem to get a decent overview of - I could start a spreadsheet and look at all the templates, but I figure -- the Prosine allows me to take a template and then start massaging it, so I started with the generic AGM and am trying to figure out what is best for me. My Custom is my current attempt at getting it better, based on what little I know of these batteries.

Prosine Programable parameters.
My Custom Generic AGM (edit -- the first number is always my custom number, the second is Xantrex's AGM Generic setting)

Battery Temp Coefficient -11.66mV -11.66mV
Bulk Charge
Max Voltage 14.5V 14.3V
Max Current %C 20%C 30%C
Threshold Voltage 13.9 13.4V
Threshold Timeout 3 min 3 min
Absorption Charge
Max Voltage 14.9V 14.3
Max Current %C 20% 30%C
Max Timeout 8 hrs 8 hrs
Threshold Current %C 1%C 1%C
Absp Thresh Timeout 3 min 3 min
Float Charge
Max Voltage 13.8V 13.4V
Max Current %C 20%C 200%C (edit, anyone understand this entry from Xantrex?)
Max Timeout 21 days 21 days
Threshold Voltage 12.9V 12.5V
Threshold Timeout 15 min 15 min

I also have the inverter set to shut down at 12v when drawing a constant 100w load -- that seems to result in the battery settling back to 12.3v, which is about 50% SOC for an AGM, which is where I want to be.

I think I understand the bulk phase relatively well. Give the batteries pretty much fixed amps at about 20% of the battery AH capacity till the bats get to a given threshold voltage, after which the amps are tapered in the absorption phase.

I do not understand why the max current in the absorption phase is listed as high as it is in the generic AGM settings. You would never want to be putting 30% of capacity into a bat during absorp phase. And what's more -- when I look at the Amps charging when the bats go from bulk to absorp, the A falls pretty quickly, just as one would want -- it seems to be behaving correctly, keeping the V stable during the absorp phase and backing off the A.

But the float settings have me really confused. The generic AGM seems to float at a number lower than Interstate would recomend, so I bumped it up some. And my read of the parameters is that it will not "float" the battery till the V drops to 12.5? That seems awfully low.....

Can anyone enlighten me? Am I ok with the slightly pumped up numbers I have plugged into my custom settings?

Appreciate the input....

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Custom Charging settings for my AGM batteries -- let me know if I'm still too dim...

cdherman,
    you can go off from the factory settings and it is advised that you do to configure better to the particular battery specs that you have. now keep in mind that the agm is a specialized lead acid battery and they sometimes can take up to 30%, but putting it at 20% or 10% is fine too. my agms can go several c, but most others seem to be about 20% tops and this may be good for you. also, do not eq charge your agms as that is a last ditch effort that could downgrade your batteries to achieve equalization. an extended absorb charge should be attempted first. i would enter the same number for volts in absorb and eq as you place for bulk. this prevents a voltage higher than you want there to be from occurring. this is important because agms are sensitive to overvoltage as that can cause vents to pop open and you'd lose water that you can't replace. 14.5v may be a tad on the low side being most of the time temps on batteries are a bit lower than 77 degrees f so i would guess 14.6v to be good for bulk, absorb, and eq. this is especially good is one can't disable the eq from occurring as it would then just automatically revert to an extended absorb charge. i would not go to the max of 14.8v and if you want higher than 14.6v then try 14.7v, but usually right in the middle suffices in most cases. if at any time the batteries are extra hot due to very hot weather you could lower the voltage back to 14.5v if you would like and for the record 14.5v does work too.

the same is true for the float as you will want something in the middle and my choice would be 13.6v, but you can go 13.7v too.
  • cdherman
    Options
    Re: Custom Charging settings for my AGM batteries -- let me know if I'm still too dim...
    niel wrote: »
    cdherman,
    you can go off from the factory settings and it is advised that you do to configure better to the particular battery specs that you have. now keep in mind that the agm is a specialized lead acid battery and they sometimes can take up to 30%, but putting it at 20% or 10% is fine too. my agms can go several c, but most others seem to be about 20% tops and this may be good for you. also, do not eq charge your agms as that is a last ditch effort that could downgrade your batteries to achieve equalization. an extended absorb charge should be attempted first. i would enter the same number for volts in absorb and eq as you place for bulk. this prevents a voltage higher than you want there to be from occurring. this is important because agms are sensitive to overvoltage as that can cause vents to pop open and you'd lose water that you can't replace. 14.5v may be a tad on the low side being most of the time temps on batteries are a bit lower than 77 degrees f so i would guess 14.6v to be good for bulk, absorb, and eq. this is especially good is one can't disable the eq from occurring as it would then just automatically revert to an extended absorb charge. i would not go to the max of 14.8v and if you want higher than 14.6v then try 14.7v, but usually right in the middle suffices in most cases. if at any time the batteries are extra hot due to very hot weather you could lower the voltage back to 14.5v if you would like and for the record 14.5v does work too.

the same is true for the float as you will want something in the middle and my choice would be 13.6v, but you can go 13.7v too.

So let me see if I can repeat back what I think you told me would be acceptable:

Set Bulk phase to give 20%C till bat gets to 14.6V, then switch to absorption phase once threshold voltage of 14.6 is reached for 3 minutes. Absorption phase will hold voltage constant, and decrease A accordingly for 8 hours or untill A has declined to 1%C for 3 min, at which point the charger will switch to float.

I don't have to worry about equalization settings -- when the Xantrex has the bat set as AGM, equalization is disabled.

Now for the float phase. You suggest 13.6 or 13.7. What about the threshold? If I am understanding it correctly, the Prosine sort of floats in waves, allowing the charger to shut off completely till the lower threshold is reached and then charging back up to the max float phase voltage. Seems like the threshold should be set high enough to keep the battey happy, but not so high that the charger is constantly cycling on and off. I *assume* that a relatively LOW charging amperage is what is best during a float phase, but that is not what the default from Xantrex was set to do (200%C seems crazy).....
  • niel
    Options

i'd say that's pretty close, but most don't have a 3 minute wait on the bulk reaching the 14.6v. if you can't have it switch immediately then i'd be in favor of lowering it to 14.5v just as a cushion for more voltage rise. you could then leave absorb at 14.6v or match it to 14.5v if you'd like. it's always best to err on the safe side of things.

i understand what you are talking about for the float as it is cycling, but i would take a guess at about 12.9vv to about 13.1v. on mine i have a 13.2v float and it kicks back on when the batteries are about 12.8v as observed from my magnum mms 1012 inverter. my float setting is supposed to be at 13.1v-13.2v for the record so don't make yours match mine.
  • cdherman
    Options

I got hold of Xantrex, now owned by Schneider it appears...

As to the function of their float. here is a VERY techy response that I think(?) I understood.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Max Current (%C)
    The maximum available charging current (in A) as a percentage of battery
    capacity (in Ah) for the Float charging stage.

During float mode, the charger is in Constant Voltage mode(13.4V default) and in a simple system the battery's acceptance of charge current (State of Charge) is actually what determines how much float current is being absorbed into the battery.
    A 200Ah battery bank in good health will usually have a float current well under 10A so setting the charger's Max (output) Current %C setting to 200%C will not force excess current in to the battery. In this scenario, the charger will be idling along in 13.4V float operation at <10% of it's amp capacity.
    Now, introduce a typical boat installation where there are other potentially high current 12V loads, boat winch, bow thruster etc which could easily demand an extra 30-100Adc from the battery system: when the Prosine is set to provide 200% of 200Ah it is essentially able to produce full charge power of 100A, and will support the extra DC load up to this 100A max while in float mode without significantly affecting the battery,
    By contrast if you select a much lower Max Current %C setting such as 10%C(200Ah) or 20 Amps, the charger would only provide up to 20A total to support potentially a 30-100A load, therefore the difference must be provided by discharging the battery (unnecessarily).

If the charger is overwhelmed with a large parallel DC load during float and the load demands enough current from the battery to drop the system voltage down to the default 12.5V Threshold voltage/time out limit (defaults), the limits are intended to prevent excessively frequent repeat triggers into a new charge cycle, due to minor D.O.D which could result in excessive time spent at the higher absorption voltage for a battery still at 99.9% SOC. If you set the threshold voltage higher it will retrigger into a new charge/absorption cycle sooner. These set points and decisions are best described as a grey area of compromises rather than black and white,

• Max Timeout
    This is the maximum amount of time that the charger will be in Float stage.

• Threshold Voltage and Timeout
    When the battery voltage goes below this value for the Threshold Timeout
    specified, the unit goes into Bulk charging mode.
    Hope above helps .

Thank you
    Best Regards,

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Soooo.. It would appear that the float max voltage set in the installer programming will set a fixed V for the battery that the charger attempts to maintain. Their decision to set the max amperage charge so crazy high reflects the design of the unit -- when in float, it is assumed that its got a shore power or generator working, AND that some uses of the unit include some high A draws directly from the battery at 12V.

I wish the documentation were better, but the reply from the engineer was top notch and occured less than 8 hrs after I contacted Xantrex/Scheider for their answer.

Cannot complain.....
  • niel
    Options

rare you got a quick answer. good.

i see what you were asking now as you wanted to know at what point to allow a bulk charge stage to restart. the default i think should be fine.