Wind Turbine

quique
quique Solar Expert Posts: 259 ✭✭
I bought a chinese made wind turbine and it comes with 3 cables from the turbine to the inverter it came with. I have worked with solar panels, DC, positive and negative, but the turbine has 3 cables, each one is indistinct and the terminal connections to the inverter it came with have only a wave marking on each one of the three (wave symbol = sideways S).

Do wind turbines produce AC current instead of DC?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Wind Turbine

Wind turbines typically produce 3 phase AC power. There is a rectifier that will convert the 3 phase AC to DC. The rectifier may be inside the turbine or the rectifier may be installed at the base of the tower/in front of of the Grid Tie Inverter (this what you have?). It is even possible for the GT inverter to have a rectifier in the front end if designed for Wind Turbine use.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • quique

Ok so is the 3 phase AC power the reason why it doesnt matter which of the three cables from the turbine connects to which of the three terminals in the inverter?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

In general, yes, it would not matter the order of the three wires. In 3 phase utility power systems, if you install the wires out of order, it can cause a 3 phase motor to run "backwards". Just swap any two wires, and the motor will run forward again.

Here is a simple diagram on connecting a 3 phase alternator to a rectifier block. Many/most wind turbines use permanent magnets instead of a rotating field coil (with brushes and slip rings).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Hairfarm
    Hairfarm Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    I bought a chinese made wind turbine ...

Can you please provide a link to the product you purchased? I'm interested in wind power because we have a lot of it in the high desert.

thanks,
  • quique

Sure, ill get the link tomorrow but i can tell you the brand is HYENERGY. Ill try to get the contact info tomorrow.