Dump load operation

Kretz
Kretz Registered Users Posts: 3
I am in the process of trying to set uyp a off grid system. I have put up a 7.5Kw einf generator and a 1000 watt solar array. I have a coleman C440-HVA controller and two frok lift battries of 660 amp hours at 24 volts each. I was going to set it up as a 24 volt system but have found out I must go to a 24 volt system. I have a 6000 watt Aims inverter that I now have to discard and get a 48 volt inverter. I have been trying to make my own dump load out of 410 stainless steel to handle 10Kw. My math shows that if I use 12 feet of the stainless steel I should have a little over 11Kw of sump load at .31 Ohms or I can add another 12 feet and it will be .6 ohms and 22Kw of dump load. Will this work using stainless steel? This is my first try at the alternative power. I am retired and trying to do something.

Kretz

Comments

• gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    Re: Dump load operation

I don't know about the stainless steel for dump load. If you wanted to research you could look at what they have done at the "otherpower" web site or "the backshed" site and then you wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel. I also don't understand why you have to go to 48 volts. I always just try to copy what others have already made work.
    Good luck
    gww
  • Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭

Why do you need a dump load?
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭

11kW is about the same amount of heat as a cooking range produces when all burners are on. With so much heat dissipating through the load, it'll be a huge fire hazard.
  • Kretz

The wind turbine is set up for 48 volts. I tried to run it on 24 volts but it dragged it down as if it had a brake dragging. When I put it on 48 volts it ran like is should. I would have perferred to use the 24 volt system as I have the inverter for it and it is going to cost me to change inverters. I have read quite a bit about stainless steel dumps and have been doing the math to see if I can have as small a dump load as possible. The cost of buying the coils for a dump load needed is high compaired to the stainless steel.
    Kretz
  • Kretz

The wind turbine produces much more voltage then needed for the battries and keeps dumping when they are full are the voltage gets to high. I seem to produce more power then needed.
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

Kretz
    I mentioned the other site cause they used things like electric oven and hot water heating elements that can be picked up from the junk yard and they had directions on how to use them and the math. I don't know if it would be better then what you have read on ss or not. I don't know your turbine or much about your controller. I know Chris on this site puts load on his turbines using an oppertunity load with a relay through his inverter. At some point and time when the batteries get full you may need a switch that will shut the turbine down compleetly. The other power wind forum has may people who have faced simular problims and may have good guidance. This by no means means the guidance here is bad. I have got a lot of help on wind at otherpower.
    Cheers
    gww