12v cigarette lighter fuses

simagic
simagic Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭✭✭
This may seem to be a little off subject, but it does indeed pertain to my system. I have "NUMEROUS" 12v cigarette adapter items that I use. ( ie 12v fan(s), 12v heated blanket, 12v frig, 12v lights, CELL PHONE and so on) . So just about every fuse that is in these 12v adapters is different. How do I figure the correct fuse size. What am I looking for?? Is the fuse protecting the appliance or the 12volt source. When i look for replacement fuse, I'm offered a choice of slow burn or quick burn. I have 3 cig adapters for my cell phone. Each one has a different size fuse. This "FUSE" thing is con"FUSE"ing........ I've looked on the internet for some guidance but with no luck. Any help is 'of course" appreciated

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: 12v cigarette lighter fuses

the fuses are actually located in the adapters just in case you aren't aware. now the sizing i'll address in generalities and note here that this is usually meant to protect the wires. the fuse is to stop current flow in excess of a wire's current rating. <(corrected by me) there is often a bit of wobble and error on this so the rating is always higher than this current draw to eliminate any false blowing of the fuses. i believe the nec goes 1.25x the current for the rating.

now a different scenario can come to pass with some loads as some will have large current spikes to start off with. these are the ones that usually take the slow blow fuses and some examples might be a fan or a compressor.

for the fast blow type this is still rated for the current, but it will melt a tad faster than the normal fuses giving a tighter time tolerance. that time tolerance is basically the difference between all of them given the same current rating as this is the amount of time before the fuse blows.
  • simagic

thanks. Do you know why each of the 3 cell phone charges would have a different size fuse. All made for a cell phone ( as clearly indicated by the male end on the other end of the wire). ( 2 fuses are long 1AL 250V), (one is short 2AL250V amp), (another is long F5AL 250v.) (I have a "Y" connector F10AL 250v)
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    simagic wrote: »
    thanks. Do you know why each of the 3 cell phone charges would have a different size fuse. All made for a cell phone ( as clearly indicated by the male end on the other end of the wire). ( 2 fuses are long 1AL 250V), (one is short 2AL250V amp), (another is long F5AL 250v.) (I have a "Y" connector F10AL 250v)

Depends on what design the manufacturer came up with, and what max current calculations they came up with for that particular charger / item.
    One charger might charge at a higher rate (for a shorter time) and would thus require a heavier fuse than a second that charged at a lower, slower rate.
  • Skippy
    Skippy Solar Expert Posts: 310 ✭✭
    simagic wrote: »

Competition.

I have the same thing. Three different cell phones, with 3 different plugs, with 3 different shaped batteries. If they made the things interchangeable, it would be alot easier for us, but then someone out there would make a replacement cheaper, and put the original guys out of buisiness. :p

I would be surprised if all the male ends were the same shape and size. ..
    2 - 255W + 4 - 285W PV - Tristar 60 amp MPPT CC / 3 - 110W PV -wired for 36V- 24V Sunsaver MPPT CC / midnite bat. monitor.
    1 KW PSW inverter 24V / 2.5 KW MSW inverter-24V ~ 105 AHR battery.
    3 ton GSHP.- 100 gallon warm water storage / house heat - radiant floor / rad
    9 -220W PV - net meter - Enphase inverters and internet reporting system.
    420 Gallon rain water system for laundry.***  6" Rocket Mass Heater with 10' bed for workshop heat.
    Current project is drawing up plans for a below grade Hobbit / underground home.
    Google "undergroundandlovinit" no spaces.
  • simagic
    Skippy wrote: »
    Competition.

I have the same thing. Three different cell phones, with 3 different plugs, with 3 different shaped batteries. If they made the things interchangeable, it would be alot easier for us, but then someone out there would make a replacement cheaper, and put the original guys out of buisiness. :p

I would be surprised if all the male ends were the same shape and size. ..

What I have is one cell phone. I have 3 cigarette lighter chargers for that one cell phone. One I keep in the car. One I use in the house for a 12v charge via my solar system. and one in my girlfriends car. 3 cigarette lighter chargers for the one phone / 3 different fuse sizes for each charger. that's my particular issue
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

are these chargers all from different manufacturers? if it is the same manufacturer/model i would then wonder about the differences. are all of the wires the same gauge? this is sometimes difficult to tell. now if the chargers themselves do differ then they can send differing amounts of current to the phone. you could try the lowest fuse rating of the 3 in the other 2, but keep the original fuse on hand just in case this does not work.