New Apple Patent = Solar + Touch

Options
RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
The idea of charging a smartphone with solar energy isn’t new, but Apple*plans to take it*a step further by building solar charging capability directly into*the iPhone. Apple’s patent, which integrates touch sensor and solar assembly, has just been approved by*the US Patent and Trademark Office. The innovative devise, which will be used in future iPhones [...]The post New Apple Patent = Solar + Touch appeared first on Solar Feeds.

go to solarfeeds for the rest of this story>>>>>solarfeed?d=yIl2AUoC8zA solarfeed?i=NWyBOvr89v0:QbhfI7-HHnE:gIN9vFwOqvQ solarfeed?d=qj6IDK7rITs solarfeed?i=NWyBOvr89v0:QbhfI7-HHnE:V_sGLiPBpWU solarfeed?d=dnMXMwOfBR0
NWyBOvr89v0

More...

Comments

• stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: New Apple Patent = Solar + Touch

Well they had to do something to top patenting the rectangle: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/08/apple_rectangle_rounded_corners/
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

It will have to be pretty amazing technology to charge the battery while your phone is in pocket or purse or covered by your hand holding it up to your ear. :roll:
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It will have to be pretty amazing technology to charge the battery while your phone is in pocket or purse or covered by your hand holding it up to your ear. :roll:

Just leave it sitting on the table or park bench, or whatever, and hope nobody steals it.
    Probably will not charge too well behind the windshield of your car, but it will stay toasty warm.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    Options

Kind of like how my Citizen Eco-Drive watch works by having the panel behind the faceplate, but hard to see.

Inetdog brought up some good practical points about unattended theft. And unless the panels are amazingly efficient, most will probably be instructed to prop it at an angle, and track the sun - for which a 50% DOD will mean about 2 or more days to charge. :) I currently do the same with an external Solio Classic 2 charger.

The other issue is heat - one reason I went to a 2-step charging process of solar charging a large agm during the day, and then charging all the toys at night from the agm is that in the summer, the toys get incredibly hot in direct summer sun. I wonder how the iPhone screen will take the constant UV and heat issues for those of us in the desert....

By far the simplest solution would be to allow consumers to change the internal batteries *themselves*, and just keep a spare handy, but nooo...
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe there will be trackers and tracker apps... --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Eco-marketing: you see a lot of it these days. It doesn't have to be practical or true or even work. You just have to be able to justify the label. Glue some insignificant-sized solar panel on and 'whatever' becomes "solar powered".