Product evaluation

Options
Hairfarm
Hairfarm Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
I've decided to do a 24 volt system instead of 12 volt. I had originally planned to go 12 volt because have a 12 volt appliance (swamp cooler) that needs to be powered with a 12 volt source. But I think I found a way to make 12 volts for the swamp cooler. Rather than add a completely separate 12 volt system (panel, cc, battery, inverter etc) next to a 24 volt system, I can use this to run my swamp cooler:
http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-PS14KX-Amp-Power-Supply/dp/B0002JTD20/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1RO50FNM3L52P&coliid=I12N8TC5DMX2T

My swamp cooler uses roughly 8-9 amps. I could plug the AC-DC converter it into an AC outlet and run the wire to my swamp cooler. I know it's not the most efficient way to make DC, but it will allow me to go to a 24 volt system which is a good thing right? Also, the unit has an on/off switch so I can simply shut it off when I'm not using swamp cooler, otherwise is draws 270 watts, unfortunately.

I just can't think of any other way to go with a 24volt system and use my 12 volt appliance.

Maybe I should just stay with my 12 volt system instead? Suggestions?

Comments