Help with 4 position DC switch

Options
H2SO4_guy
H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
I would like to have a 4 position DC switch that will let me choose where the power from 4 strings of panels go. The strings are voc 88 VDC and there are 4 charge controllers dedicated to a specific battery pack. The goal is to switch strings go to any of the 4 charge controllers. The Blue Sea switches will handle the voltage and amperage, but are only a 2 position switch so it would take 3 of them per string. A less expensive way would sure be better.
Any suggestions?

Thanks for any input,

Skip
12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    Re: Help with 4 position DC switch

Are you trying to test different charge controllers?

Would using a patch panel/large plugs (such as Anderson Connectors) work?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    Options

I have seeen switched rated for DC at Boat supplier. Possibly Hamilton Marine http://www.hamiltonmarine.com/ dearch for Guest battery switch
  • H2SO4_guy
    Options

There are 5 battery packs, each with their own charge controller complete with BTS and sense wires for the Morningstar controllers. 4 of these controllers can use the the strings of 4 panels. I am working on inexpensive battery packs and kind of distribute the loads between them. That means I can easily equalize with nothing else in the circuit so the charge controllers actually get the amperage correct and it all goes into the battery pack. At the beginning of a charge low packs can get more watts, and after they taper off on charge current the available power could be used on other packs.

I want to select which charge controller the strings go to, so therefore the switching. Trying to get ready to move into this barn in March and wanted the electrical to be ready. It sure is a process!

Thanks,

Skip
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 
  • H2SO4_guy
    Options

peakbagger:
    Those switches are 2 position switches and I am wanting 4 position. They could be used if they will handle the voltage, but 12 would be needed and I would rather not have to use multiple switches due to voltage loss and cost.

Skip