Xantrex BTS

NorthGuy
NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
Does anyone know what is the interface of Xantrex Battery Temperature Sensor? There are 4 wires in a phone jack. I would open the sensor and look what's inside, but I don't want to destroy it. May be someone already looked?

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Xantrex BTS

Hi NorthGuy,

I have NOT looked inside the Xantrex/Schneider BTS, but it must be a thermistor, and would only use two conductors of the 4 in the Phone-style cable. With an Ohmmeter, you should be able to see which pins are used, and if you can get the BTS close to 25 degrees C, you should be able to find the nominal value of the device, and confirm its curve -- PTC or NTC.

All of these deivces that I've looked at ARE Thermistors, but guess that one could be a Diode.

Had felt that the Trace and OutBack were essentially the same, BUT never know what the blessed Schneider will do!

Probably boB or (just) HalfCrazy can chime in on this. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • NorthGuy

Hi Vic,

I thougt that four wires are too many for the thermistor. Using two-wire cable would be cheaper. Could be some integrated sensor such as DS1820.

I'll try to measure resistance.
  • NorthGuy

Yes, you're right. Only two wires are used. Thermistor, NTC.

Thank you, Vic.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi NorthGuy,

Well the Phone Cable is made in such high volume, and the connectors, also made in huge volume, are perfectly acceptable for this application, so this setup may bell be less expensive than almost anything else. And, we can go to RS , HD or a dollar style store for extra giblets for entending the leads etc, so works fairly well.

The only problem that I have seen with the phone cable is that Rodents like to eat it, and the conductors are very small, so does not take much to break the connection.

Glad that it is a simple transduces. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.