VERY small system

simagic
simagic Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭✭✭
I have a larger system ( than what i'm doing now), but I am putting together a very very small system to demonstrate to students in an ''introduction to solar power" course. I've read the whole 5% / 10% / 13% thing but get a little confused. So here's what I'm asking . I have a 12v 10w panel . Short circuit current is .61A.. IMP is .57A. I ran it thru a morningstar sunguard 4.5 amp controller ( I had it laying around). It's connected to a small "universal" 12v, 9AH battery ( specs say AGM). Soooo , will this panel charge that battery????? I wont run it down past 50% ( I'll check voltage with a MM). If I attempt to charge a phone ( via cig lighter) or run a light ( via a small cheap ($18.00), inverter) and I run down the battery ( to no less than approx 50%) , will that 10w panel recharge it and at what % am I charging it. ( 5%-10% 13% or??? )

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin
    Re: VERY small system

Another way to look at the charging--Since you know the Imp is 0.57 amps and are using a PWM charge controller:
    • 0.57 amps charging / 9 AH battery = 0.063 = 6.3% rate of charge

So, from a current point of view, this will charge the battery OK. You probably would want to buy a small 1 amp clip on AC battery charger so you can recharge over night rather than leaving the solar panel+battery sitting outside for two to three days to fully recharge:
    • 9 AH * 0.50 max discharge * 1/0.57 amps Imp = 7.9 hours of "full noon time equivalent sun"

For much of the US, you can expect around 4-6 hours of day of sun during the non-winter seasons. You should also count on continuing the charging about another 2-4 hours to finish the battery charging (or about 2-3 days of sunny weather).

One thing to look at, many 10 watt "portable" panels do not have Vmp in the range of 17.5 to 18.6 volts or so (the optimum panel rating for use with a PWM charge controller), but instead are around 15.5 volts or less--That level of voltage is designed to connect directly to the battery for recharging (too much voltage drop for use with charge controller)--especially when the panels get hot under normal sunlight conditions (Vmp falls with heat).

Two other suggestions--You use some sort of polarized plug between panel and battery--Connecting the battery backwards to the solar panel will immediately toast the panel. And second, A DC Current Clamp meter will be much easier to measure the current in the wiring buy just clipping the current clamp around the wire--no cutting of wire/putting meter in series with the load is required. This meter from Sears is an AC/DC current clamp DMM (digital multi meter) that works pretty well.

AGM batteries can usually sit (after they been fully charged) for 1-3 months between recharging. Another way I use to "maintenance" charge a small battery + AC cube charger is to put it on a lamp timer set for around 15 minutes to 1 hour per day--That will usually keep the battery charged without over charging it (or having to remember to recharge the battery every month or so in storage).

-Billl
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Skippy
    Skippy Solar Expert Posts: 310 ✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    You probably would want to buy a small 1 amp clip on AC battery charger so you can recharge over night rather than leaving the solar panel+battery sitting outside for two to three days to fully recharge:
    -Billl

If you are doing the whole teachers aid thing with this setup, may I suggest getting a properly sized panel for comparison ? You could still have the too small of a panel to show how it would work / wouldn't work - and explain why it is not enough , but then you could show that you would need *this much panel* to recharge that size of battery properly. . . It would also give you a chance to explain how to set up a system for really cloudy days - versus nice sunny days. . .

Just a thought. . . all those kids who would not - fire - ready - aim - :p;)
    2 - 255W + 4 - 285W PV - Tristar 60 amp MPPT CC / 3 - 110W PV -wired for 36V- 24V Sunsaver MPPT CC / midnite bat. monitor.
    1 KW PSW inverter 24V / 2.5 KW MSW inverter-24V ~ 105 AHR battery.
    3 ton GSHP.- 100 gallon warm water storage / house heat - radiant floor / rad
    9 -220W PV - net meter - Enphase inverters and internet reporting system.
    420 Gallon rain water system for laundry.***  6" Rocket Mass Heater with 10' bed for workshop heat.
    Current project is drawing up plans for a below grade Hobbit / underground home.
    Google "undergroundandlovinit" no spaces.
  • simagic

I already have the 10w panel, the controller & the battery. "AND" they are small and very easy to carry. I 'originally' was just going to draw things on the blackboard but thought it might be nice for them to actually see something. I can turn on a 500w light and aim it at the panel (I already have the 500 watt light) and they can "see things" happening as opposed to just seeing it drawn on a blackboard. Kinda like when you go to a car show and one of the manufactures has their car split in half. Not a "PROPER" car. Just for demonstration. It's just to show stuff. I will explain proper panel wattage to battery ratios as we progress. The battery will be fully charged before I get there ( so things will work). It will show that light can produce electricity. I will plug in a 12v cell phone and show them that it charges. I also have an inverter that I purchased for this class. It was 18 dollars. I'll then plug in a light bulb. Walla...light...WOW. I can get into the trigonometry a little further into the 2-3 hour course. With all that said and if you have a larger watt panel ( that would be more appropriate for the 9ah battery ) and would like to donate it (as I am getting absolutely nothing for my time teaching this course), then I'd be happy to accept it. ( I think my 10 watt panel gives me a charge rate of .06% for the 9ah battery or did I just get myself confused?? )Thanks. Dennis
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

watch the small pvs as they tend to have small vmp points as well compared to larger ones meaning in higher heat the voltage could go too low. you will need to watch the spacing between the 500w light and the pv as well. remember the ratings on pvs is at 1000w per meter squared making 500w of directed light about 1/2 the desired intensity if directly on the pv. this could show students just how bright full sunshine actually is in comparison and the available current from the 10w pv will be significantly lower.
  • simagic

Thanks for that alert. I wasn't aware that ratings were based on 1000watts . This particular panel ( made by Instapark???) reads "MPP Voltage (Ummp)"............note sure why it says Ummp as opposed to Vmp, but it's 17.5
    Imp is ,57.....sounds ok , right???????
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

you've got it right. 17.5v for a vmp should give you a bit of leeway on the higher temps so you should be ok. some pvs have a vmp in and around 15v-16v.
  • simagic

I figured ...my 10 watt panel gives me a charge rate of .06% for the 9ah battery ........so that fits in the parameter of the 5%, 10%, 13% "rule"....... so, somewhat acceptable....or did I just get that wrong?? )Thanks. Dennis
  • BB.

0.06 = 6%

0.06% = 0.0006

The percentage.
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • simagic

Confused "again"......What is the charge rate for a 10 watt panel to a 9ah battery....... Is it 6 "percent" or less.........thanks.
    ........OK, I think you're just "telling me" that 6 'percent" is written .06 and not .06%. right??... Do I need to put the 0 in front of the decimal point (ie) 0.06 or is just .06 ok
  • BB.

Yes, just 6% or 0.06 -- Either is the same.

0.06 vs .06 are both OK--In engineering (at least) we put the "0" before the decimal point so that decimal does not get "lost" (i.e., 0.5 vs .5 vs somebody reading just 5).

-Bill
  • simagic

Thanks "as usual".... got it
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Another way to think about is with a 50% DOD limitation, out of a 9ah battery, that leaves you with 4.5ah to play with.

One of my loads during a quick outage consisted of just a 13watt cfl lightstand, connected to a Stanley 75watt msw ac inverter. With bulb and loss from the inverter, I approached 1 ah of load. Although I was using the 22ah agm battery from a Diehard jumpstarter pack, I was able to run about 11 hours during the night since I didn't want to go beyond 50% DOD. Since it was a sealed agm, after 4 hours of rest, my voltmeter measured about 12.25 volts which corresponds to near a 50% discharge. Your 9ah battery might go a bit beyond 4 hours that way with my load.

Also note that your agm *might* be able to take up to the 0.25C maximum input current (manual / docs should say), so for faster charging, you could get away with perhaps a 40 watt panel max. The Sunguard is a nice little controller, but note that it is fixed at 14.1 volts for absorb. Most agm's under cyclic use might prefer 14.4-14.7 volts for absorb, but yes, I am splitting hairs for this simple project.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    PNjunction wrote: »
    ... I approached 1 ah of load.

1 Amp please...
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • simagic

I understand the whole 5/10/13% and what I think I understand from all my reading here is that going over the 13% mark "appears" to be an economical conclusion.
    With that said, my question is....If someone (like myself) happens to have another panel or two and connecting them would bring the charge rate up to, let's say for just an example, 15-16% would there be any problem. It's an AGM battery. I would "think" not, but sometimes a persons thinking may leave out something that they don't know .......and they don't know that they don't know it. thanks
  • BB.

As far as I know, you can easily go upwards of 25% rate of charge--And some AGMs will accept a lot more (you need to check the manual).

My suggestion would be that if you go >13% rate of charge, you have a charge controller that supports a remote temperature sensor (attached to one of the batteries in the bank). The higher the rate of charge, the more chance of thermal runaway (as batteries get hot, the charging voltage drops, which can trick the charge controller into supplying more current, batteries get even hotter--repeat). The 13% (or technically C/8 = 12.5%) is the typical flooded cell maximum charge rate without requiring active cooling/temperature sensing of deeply cycled batteries such as in a fork lift, etc.

Also note that you will probably only see high current charge rates when you discharge the bank below ~80-90% state of charge--When the batteries are over 80-90% state of charge, they normally will begin to limit the charging current. The chances of the batteries over heating are more likely the deep the discharge (or if the charge controller is miss-programed or has a fault and hits the battery bank with too high of voltage).

If you have high daytime loads (say water pumping, running computers/appliances/etc.)--Then having more panels also makes a lot of sense (and reduces the available charging current to the battery bank anyway).

-Bill
  • simagic

With my (6) 100 watt panels going thru my MPPT controller, I am getting approx 42 amps going to my battery. Approx 35 entering the MPPT and 42 upon leaving the controller going to the battery ( the battery is pretty much fully charged... 90-100% SOC). It's going to my 220AH Concord AGM battery. It has the temp sensor....Are you saying that if I "DO" have a temp sensor ( which I do) , that I "DON'T" have to be concerned or are you saying that if i have the sensor then I "DO" need to be concerned?? Not quite sure?? Right now I'm running a few items off the inverter which is leaving me with about an even swap of what's coming in and what I'm using. Am I OK?? ANNNND, if I wasn't using what was coming in to the battery would that be an issue?? I read the "below" thread, but I guess I'm just looking for re-assurance.
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

Bill
    Dang-it, you just gave me another reason to worry. If I hook up the battery heat sensor I have to worry about turmal run away. Gee-wiz, I can't keep up.
    Cheers
    gww
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

'turmal runaway' can be terminal...:blush::cry::cry:

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    gww1 wrote: »
    Bill
    Dang-it, you just gave me another reason to worry. If I hook up the battery heat sensor I have to worry about turmal run away. Gee-wiz, I can't keep up.
    Cheers
    gww

GWW,

It all depends (I assume you have the sentence backwards?--Thermal sensor connected to charger to limit chances of thermal run-away). Size/type of battery, depth of discharge, rate of charge by the charge controller, etc...

Always trying to be conservative when we give advice here. Short answers tend to be error on the safe side--Longer answer runs the risk of eye glaze-over.

Big systems, large amounts of stored energy, frequently unattended for hours/days/weeks at time. And sometimes operated by casual users.

Even the stuff "done by the book" still faults/fails. Why we still have circuit breakers and I recommended non-flamable construction (wall board, concrete backer board, etc.) rather the mounting on bare plywood with exposed wiring.

So learn from this one:
    A three-alarm fire that damaged a San Carlos warehouse containing memorabilia belonging to rocker Neil Young started in a vintage car that he had converted into a hybrid vehicle, authorities said today.

An investigation determined that the fire started in a 1959 Lincoln Continental and spread to the warehouse. Young had outfitted the car with electric batteries and a biodiesel-powered generator as part of his company called LincVolt.
    "We are still investigating the exact cause, although it appears to be an operator error that occurred in an untested part of the charging system," Young said. "We do know that the car has been operating perfectly for almost 2,000 miles and the system in question would not be in use while driving the car. We are investigating the components involved with plug-in charging."

www.lincvolt.com

-Bill
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

Bill
    This is what scares me, altough I may have pulled it out of context.
    you have a charge controller that supports a remote temperature sensor (attached to one of the batteries in the bank). The higher the rate of charge, the more chance of thermal runaway (as batteries get hot, the charging voltage drops, which can trick the charge controller into supplying more current, batteries get even hotter--repeat)

gww
  • BB.

The remote battery temperature sensor reduced the chance of this happening by reducing the charging voltage set point for a hot battery bank.

-Bill
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    gww1 wrote: »
    Bill
    This is what scares me, altough I may have pulled it out of context.
    gww

The language was capable of misinterpretation. Try this instead:

"The higher the rate of charge, the more chance of thermal runaway (as batteries get hot, the battery terminal voltage drops, which can trick the charge controller into supplying more current...) When the temperature sensor is connected, the charger will see that the battery is getting hotter and will reduce its set-point voltage accordingly to avoid a feedback reaction. "

For a Lithium battery, at some temperature the charger would have to stop supplying current completely and also set off a fire alarm! If conditions other than overcharging (like load or an internal short circuit) are feeding the thermal runaway, there is nothing the charger can do to stop it.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • simagic

Hi. I'm the creator of this thread. So my question is..""With my (6) 100 watt panels going thru my MPPT controller, I am getting approx 42 amps going to my battery. Approx 35 entering the MPPT and 42 upon leaving the controller going to the battery ( the battery is pretty much fully charged... 90-100% SOC). It's going to my 220AH Concord AGM battery. It has the temp sensor.."" .............. Is that too much??? ..............Is that A=Ok??........ Is that something to be concerned about??
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    simagic wrote: »
    Hi. I'm the creator of this thread. So my question is..""With my (6) 100 watt panels going thru my MPPT controller, I am getting approx 42 amps going to my battery. Approx 35 entering the MPPT and 42 upon leaving the controller going to the battery ( the battery is pretty much fully charged... 90-100% SOC). It's going to my 220AH Concord AGM battery. It has the temp sensor.."" .............. Is that too much??? ..............Is that A=Ok??........ Is that something to be concerned about??

During the absorb stage of charging, the current that the battery will accept declines with time. When the current stops declining the battery is fully charged. The current at that time is called the 'end amps'. If your battery is fully charged then I think that 42 amps into a 220 ah battery is too much.
    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • simagic

Thanks. But isn't my controller sending less "juice" as the battery becomes fully charged???
  • vtmaps
    Thanks. But isn't my controller sending less "juice" as the battery becomes fully charged???

Apparently not. You say that 42 amps are going into the battery. Maybe the battery is not as fully charged as you think. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • BB.

Juice to the battery is current or amps. Less than 80-90% state of charge, the battery will accept upwards of 100% of the charge controller output current.

As the battery gets towards 100% state of charge, the current will back down to about 1 to 2% of the battery's AH rating. Assuming reasonable current and voltage set points.

-Bill
  • simagic

Actually when I observed those figures the battery was 100% charged ( per my meter on my Blue Sky 25ix). I was running several items in my house. ( computer, 2 TV's and a light). I observed the meter. My "net" was minus 2-3 amps. So as i scrolled thru my meter, it indicated 100% charge. Input approx 35 amps / output via MPPT approx 42 amps. So this was happening (I believe), because I was showing a negative of 2-3 amps. The light was indicating it was in Bulk mode. Does that make sense??
  • vtmaps
    Actually when I observed those figures the battery was 100% charged ( per my meter on my Blue Sky 25ix). I was running several items in my house. ( computer, 2 TV's and a light). I observed the meter. My "net" was minus 2-3 amps. So as i scrolled thru my meter, it indicated 100% charge. Input approx 35 amps / output via MPPT approx 42 amps. So this was happening (I believe), because I was showing a negative of 2-3 amps. The light was indicating it was in Bulk mode. Does that make sense??

So you are saying that your MPPT is producing 42 amps and you are drawing 2-3 amps from the battery, meaning your loads are 44-45 amps? --vtMaps
  • simagic

Yes.......... Since it was reading minus 2-3 amps, then probably in a short while it would have read 99%. I actually was "testing things'. I just added (2) additional 100 w panels that I already had 'laying around". I had (4) 100 w panels up and running. Now i have the six up and running. It was a bright sunny day and I wanted to see what I can get........... ..Thanks