2»

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Lobster boat PV and controller(s)

look near the bottom of that link, there is a 36 v version of that CC

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

I think we have seen varations of the Tektrumpcorp type controller here before--Did not appear to be a MPPT controller (at least the one in a similar package).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    I think we have seen varations of the Tektrumpcorp type controller here before--Did not appear to be a MPPT controller (at least the one in a similar package).

-Bill
    I have no claim to that link, I was looking for cheap...lol. I am sure there are 100's on ebay. This is just not a good environment for un-sealed electronics. I can envision what it'd look like in a month inside. You might be able to use a Conformal Spray Coating of some kind.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

I understand--Here is the post/thread I was thinking of:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?9482-Wellsee-MPPT&p=107296#post107296

Just look at the heat sinking on the MornignStar vs the plastic case on these small "MPPT" type controllers.... Got to get rid of the waste heat somewhere.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • EatMaineLobster
    EatMaineLobster Registered Users Posts: 15
    Options

I can't see how it could be accurate with three legs because the monitor relies on the shunt to measure power in and power out. Only one of the three legs could be wired to go through the shunt, so the state of charge would not reflect the contributions of 2/3 of the panels. Also, after shore charging the meter would consider the charge level at less than full because the affect of the missing charge would be cumulative. Each cycle would show a lower level of charge. A nightmare! As I understand it the battery monitor does not use voltage, but amps in and out to measure charge level. I had to program the monitor by putting in 200 amps at the beginning. I could re-zero it every time but why go through all that? Bruce