'trickle charge' set up on generator battery...

Options
alyaz
alyaz Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭
I currently have two 'trickle charge stations,' each consists of a 40 watt solar panel and a morningstar sunsaver 10 amp charger. On the two stations I currently have they charge the batteries for our UTV and our SUV. The third 'trickle charge station' I'm working on now will charge the diesel generator battery. It also consists of a 40 watt solar panel and a morningstar sunsaver 10 amp charger:

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/sun-saver

My question is, (since the trickle chargers are disconnected on the utv and suv when starting/driving them) is there any concern with leaving the diesel generator battery 'hard-wired' to the trickle charge station while the generator runs? It would be impossible to disconnect the trickle charge connections each time the gen runs as the gen is set to auto start/stop. I'm thinking the small amount of current provided by the trickle charge should not be harmful (if it's even producing anything at this time of year) if the gen runs. Or.... does a person just plug the trickle charge in during the summer when the gen typically does not run and the battery needs the charging??? I'd prefer to leave it wired year round if possible. Thanks.
3.3 kW solar.  3 Midnite Solar controllers; 5 lightening suppressors.  Magnum’s inverter; auto gen start, BMK.  Davidson 2 v FLA’s - 24v bank.  Perkins diesel gen.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: 'trickle charge' set up on generator battery...

No worries; leave it connected.
    The charge controller will 'look' at the battery Voltage and control the panel output as needed, regardless if the Voltage is being boosted by the running gen. This is just like most off-grid situations where a generator is available to charge when the solar isn't: they play well together 90% of the time. There is a possibility that they will both put out max current, but that means the gen has to be running on a sunny day which it usually isn't. In your case the max current from the trickle charge will be barely a blip compared to the generator output so there should be no trouble at all.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

Just monitor the battery water level (if not sealed AGM/GEL type)... Even with a charge controller, sometimes the voltage is high enough to cause more battery water use than you would normally see (even maintenance free batteries can require water added a couple times a year with many "float" chargers).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • alyaz
    alyaz Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭
    Options

thanks guys... appreciate it.
    3.3 kW solar.  3 Midnite Solar controllers; 5 lightening suppressors.  Magnum’s inverter; auto gen start, BMK.  Davidson 2 v FLA’s - 24v bank.  Perkins diesel gen.