Charge settings on a Tristar 45 mppt

oldgearhead
oldgearhead Registered Users Posts: 4
First a big thank you to all the help I rec. from this form...THX!!!!! I have finished installing my 420W sys. on my motorhome and ready to flip the breakers tomorrow.. One question which I have tried to research w/o an answer. Under battery charging settings on the tristar mppt under flooded there is 2 choices one with 14.60 asorb stage and 15.30 equalize stage. the other is 14.70 asorb and 15.40 asorb. But I can not find any reason for the choice any help on choosing!!
Battery bank is a 2x6=12

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Charge settings on a Tristar 45 mppt

The question is: what are the batteries?
    Some brands/models prefer a higher Voltage than others, so it comes down to making the settings as close to what the battery manufacturer recommends for the particular product.
  • oldgearhead

2 in series Trojan t105's
    The question is: what are the batteries?
    Some brands/models prefer a higher Voltage than others, so it comes down to making the settings as close to what the battery manufacturer recommends for the particular product.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Trojan recommends higher Voltages for their batteries. In fact they recommend Absorb level of 14.8 on a 12 Volt system. If you can't program custom settings, pick the higher choice here.
  • oldgearhead

Got it ........A big thanks to all....
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Is there not a setting on that controller intended for "L-16 batteries? It has the higher voltage settings. I'll see if I can lay my hand on my manual.

EDIT:
    Found manual for TS-MPPT-60, which should be the same as the 45 model in this area.
    Yes, the "L-16" setting is 15.4 volts absorb, too high for your batteries, the closest setting is the14.7 volts.
    Switch 4 on.
    Switch 5 off.
    Switch 6 on.
    But I guess you already had all that figured out. :D
  • rgk1
    rgk1 Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

There is a setting for l-16's (dip 4-on, dip 5 on, and dip 6 off), but that may be a bit too high. 15.4 absorb, 13.4 float, and 16.0 eq.
    4-Risen 320 watt in series/parallel, 8-215ah 6 volt GC2 batteries in series, Exeltech 1100 watt/48 volt inverter, Tristar 45 MPPT controller.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin

Also monitor the specific gravity and water usage... If your batteries get >90% charged several times a week and need water every 2-6 months--Probably everything is OK. If you have problems getting fully charged and/or are not using much water, go with a higher voltage.

Conversely, if you never have to add a lot of water and/or SG remains high--Then cut back on charging voltage.

You might need longer absorb times/higher voltages in winter (less sun) and shorter absorb times/lower voltage in summer (more sun)... But your loads will help determine that too (parked in winter, used in summer--then you do not need much more than "float" in the winter).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset