Nothing to do with solar

john p
john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
Recently bought a step ladder on top step it says"DO NOT STEP ABOVE THIS STEP" Must have had a lot of injury claims from people doing that ??
On a set of christmas lights I bought" FOR INDOOR OR OUTDOOR USE ONLY" People have been using them where previously"?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Nothing to do with solar
    john p wrote: »
    Recently bought a step ladder on top step it says"DO NOT STEP ABOVE THIS STEP" Must have had a lot of injury claims from people doing that ??

Yes; people who attempt to walk up a ladder into thin air frequently find themselves being injured.
    On a set of christmas lights I bought" FOR INDOOR OR OUTDOOR USE ONLY" People have been using them where previously"?

Underwater, outer space ... they just won't work there.

Remember; these safety warnings are for your protection.
    And reassurance that you, at least, are not a complete idiot. :D
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    On a set of christmas lights I bought" FOR INDOOR OR OUTDOOR USE ONLY" People have been using them where previously

Chances are that the label was really supposed to be placed one step down from the top, and they will end up getting sued anyway. :-)
    (More likely it was supposed to read "ON OR ABOVE")
    UL probably has a problem with running one string from inside to outside, since it would have to go through a window or doorway.

My personal favorite is the knife set with the label "Do not use to cut children."

--Advocatus Diaboli
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭

Not for internal use?
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

The RD Werner co made millions of WERNER ladders till a couple years ago in Greenville PA. Now they make them in Mexico and China. A thousand american jobs gone. If you look at one of them you will see all kinds of warning labels because someone sued them at one time or other. Most warnings are common sence that shouldn,t need to be pointed out but if they don,t put the decals on them someone will sue them. :Dsolarvic:D
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

"Warning Labels" should really be called "liability disclaimers". The intent is not to make the product safer, or easier to use, etc - it is to limit the manufacturer's liability. Products have so many b.s. labels on them that the regular user tends to disregard them and may well miss the few warnings that are actually important making the product in fact less safe. Once again, the effects of a dumbed-down, litigious, greedy, 47%, dis-educated population are controlling "modern" society.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    solarix wrote: »
    "Warning Labels" should really be called "liability disclaimers". The intent is not to make the product safer, or easier to use, etc - it is to limit the manufacturer's liability. Products have so many b.s. labels on them that the regular user tends to disregard them and may well miss the few warnings that are actually important making the product in fact less safe. Once again, the effects of a dumbed-down, litigious, greedy, 47%, dis-educated population are controlling "modern" society.
    The Achilles' Heel of Democracy.
  • inetdog
    solarix wrote: »
    " dis-educated population
    A reference to coming out of school knowing less than when they went in?
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting facts dealing with the McDonalds 'Caution HOT Coffee' warning now on the cups...http://josephzasa.hubpages.com/hub/-Behind-The-McDonalds-Coffee-Spill-Incident-The-Unheard-Truth

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cariboocoot

We need one universal warning label that can be put on everything:

"If you haven't got the sense God gave a cow that isn't our problem."

Or for the lawyers:

"Anything resulting from the use, misuse, abuse, or non-use of this product is not our fault."

You guys know we really should delete this thread because it's exactly as the title says. I just figured we all need to vent a bit about a world that generates operators' manuals that are 45% safety warnings. :roll:
  • inetdog
    ... a world that generates operators' manuals that are 45% safety warnings. :roll:
    Actually for small power tools, particularly electric ones, I have seen as much as 80% warnings. Very disappointing, since as I paged quickly past the warnings I almost missed the real info. I ran right through into the same warnings in another language.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

sort of like buying a Lead Acid Battery with the warning....
    Caution: Contains LEAD or Contains ACID!
    DUH?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cariboocoot

We'll know it's really gone too far when they put warning labels on nuclear warheads that say "Do Not Take Internally".
  • wild01
    wild01 Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

A while back I was in Harbor Freight and came across this warning on A CAST IRON FRYING PAN Warning: do not use without gloves and proper eye protection.

"hey honey here's a pair of safety glasses and and a face shield, can I have some eggs over easy, oh and don't forget your welding gloves!" they forgot hardhat and steel toe boots, probably more necessary if you perturb SWMBO
  • inetdog
    wild01 wrote: »
    A while back I was in Harbor Freight and came across this warning on A CAST IRON FRYING PAN Warning: do not use without gloves and proper eye protection.

"hey honey here's a pair of safety glasses and and a face shield, can I have some eggs over easy, oh and don't forget your welding gloves!" they forgot hardhat and steel toe boots, probably more necessary if you perturb SWMBO

And if you strike one cast iron frying pan against another, or use it as a hammer, fragments may fly from it.

(what this forum needs is a General Topics subforum rather than just a General Solar Power Topics one.)
  • Cariboocoot
    inetdog wrote: »
    (what this forum needs is a General Topics subforum rather than just a General Solar Power Topics one.)

Actually we're not supposed to wander even this far off the path.
    We've discussed the idea of a "general" section before, but it just becomes too difficult to moderate. This thread, for example, has already had to be edited for language content. Too often on-topic discussion of RE draw in the political angle and can easily be derailed into mudslinging as a result.

Any moment now I'm going to get a 'nudge' from Niel or Bill ...
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

Ah, leave it alone! The exception that proves the rule! :cool:

My favorite (don't think that's the right word...) labels / disclaimers are the ones where, after you parse through the legalese, they effectively state that the product is in fact not intended for the purpose for which they sell it! I most often see that with software EULAs but have occasionally seen something on hardware like that.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

solarvic,
    i didn't know that's where they made my ladders. i haven't bought any now for at least 20yrs so i got the usa made ones. exception might be my 6ft step ladder, but even that is at least 15yrs old.