Newbie From Down Under - New Zealand

nut17
nut17 Registered Users Posts: 5
Hi, I stumbled on this forum when trolling Google for info on maximum recommended load on AGM batteries.

Since 2004, we have purchased three new caravans, each one larger with more mod cons and greater reliance on battery power and solar.

Our current rig is a 24' Australian built Jayco, and as of April this year when the 15 month old pair of 100 amp/hr AGM batteries began to seriously loose capacity, our system is now as follows.

Battery: 200 Amp / Hr Lithium Iron Phosphate Yttrium 13.2v

Solar: 330w (3x 110w) Monocrystaline panels flat mounted on roof.

Controller: Blue Sky Solar Boost 2000E MPPT

Monitor: Votronic with 200Amp Shunt.

Mains Charger: 25 Amp C Tek Marine 8 stage smart charger. ( this unit is also powered up by a dedicated 600w inverter with 12v current supplied
directly from the tow vehicle (2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0 CRD) Auto switching from mains supply in van.

In the summer we find this set up more than adequate even with quite serious loads used by the 1200w PSW inverter running Nespresso coffee machine, pop up toaster, TV water pump, electric blankets (winter;)) and sundry phone and computer charging duties. All lighting is LED and the fridge is three way and runs on LPG when not on a powered site.

The lessons learn't from setting up this system have got me very keen to build a new retirement home and have it completely "off grid". Solar panels seem to be still spiralling down in price and the efficiency and ability to deep cycle Lithium batteries down to 20% SOC is definitely making this plan quite feasible. I have another three years before making this plan a reality, so that gives me plenty of time to soak up all the knowledge on this forum

118yd.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cheers Chris

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Newbie From Down Under - New Zealand
    nut17 wrote: »
    The lessons learn't from setting up this system have got me very keen to build a new retirement home and have it completely "off grid". Solar panels seem to be still spiralling down in price and the efficiency and ability to deep cycle Lithium batteries down to 20% SOC is definitely making this plan quite feasible.

Welcome to the forum. To design a system you must know what your loads are (maximum watts, and daily watthours). Second step, and the most difficult, is to choose a system voltage and battery. Third step is easy... just buy enough panels and electronics to keep your batteries happy.

Since you have three years, spend a couple of years reading about batteries. Concentrate your studies on Flooded Lead Acid (FLA) batteries. Compared to Lithium they are big and heavy and cheap. In a home (as opposed to a caravan) minimizing the size and weight of the batteries is not a priority. Most off grid homes use FLA batteries. One of their greatest advantages is that you can measure the specific gravity, which is the key to knowing whether you are maintaining your batteries properly.

By the way, running batteries down to 20% SOC is not unique to Lithium. Forklift type FLA batteries are also designed to be discharged to 20% SOC.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin

The issues with discharging too deeply for any rechargeable battery is the issue of taking one cell "dead" while the others still have available charge (unmatched cells can vary in capacity by 10% to even as much as 20%)... The once cell goes to zero volts and even begins to "reverse charge"--Which is a killer for virtually any battery chemistry.

And taking a battery down to 20% SOC is always an issue in load management--And even knowing that you are at 20% SOC and not 30% or 10% SOC instead. Lead acid batteries will typically lose a lot of life if taken that low (and non-deep cycle type batteries will be toast if taken this low).

Generally, our rules of thumbs are 1-3 days of storage and 50% maximum discharge. So, for a nominal system design 2 days of storage and 50% maximum discharge would point to a battery bank being ~4x larger than your daily load. You typically want to cycle deeper than 10% (lead acid batteries do better if cycled) and it gives enough battery bank size to support heavy surge currents (like starting a well pump). Also, lead acid batteries tend to sulfate faster the deeper discharged they are and the longer they remain discharged. So you don't want a very large battery bank to slowly discharge over 7 days of bad weather before recharging--That type of service will knock years off the life of a Lead Acid battery bank.

For AGM and Lithium type batteries--They can supply tremendous amounts of surge currents (some AGMs upwards of C*4 vs a typical deep cycle flooded cell of C/2.5 recommendation). But you still need AH capacity to supply those 2 days of "no sun" loads--So unless you have loads with high surge/low average power draw (HAM transmitter, well pump, etc.)--You still need a fairly good sized battery bank to manage the base loads too.

For RV type applications (and seasonal/vacation cabins) where weight and size are critical and you have a backup genset anyway--AGM or Lithium batteries can be much smaller/lighter and can cycle deeper for many users (i.e., weekend use--50 cycles a year, 500 cycle life is 10 years--And batteries will probably "age out" faster than that). Small AH capacity battery banks can be just fine for the application.

Otherwise, we still try to suggest battery systems that are not "over sized" for the application... This can push solar array size requirements way up (to meet 5-13% rate of charge). And when it comes time to replace the battery bank--You have to spend a lot of money to replace. Also, if there is an "oh heck" moment (kids/guests leave lights on when leaving for the season) and kill the battery bank--You have more money "at risk".

In the end, as vtMaps asks--Learn your load requirements and design your system around those loads (after you have spent your money and energy on conservation--it is almost always cheaper to conserve than to generate extra power). Towards that end, we usually suggest using cheaper batteries at first (training batteries). It allows you to see what your real loads are and get everyone trained. Then a few years down the road, when the first set eventually dies, you can size the new battery bank to your now known needs.

Having a Battery Monitor (like you do) will help you a lot to better understand how all this works together.

Keep us up to date on your Lithium system... You are using a standard solar battery charging system. What sort of battery/cell balancing system are you using? Any issues with over charging yet? How much of your power loads are supported by the solar array vs the other charging sources? Those can be a lot of loads for just a 330 watt array.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

The SB2000 has 3 selectable battery types for charging. which one are you using? what voltage(s) is the unit set for?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • nut17

Hi Bill,

Thankyou for your informative comments. When we build our new home, it will be built as energy efficient as economically possible and all high energy consumption devices, such as cooking and heating will be LPG powered. Lighting will be LED so washing machine, dish washer, TV, Hi Fi system, vacuum cleaner, electric blankets, coffee machine, computer and cell phone charging etc will all need to be added to the mix. We spend around five months each year in our caravan and most of that time is spent "off grid" so we are used to managing our power resources.

At this stage, I have no automated cell balancing system, but have regularly checked them manually and have always been all but perfect (max 0.01v variance) The Blue Sky Solar Controller and C-Tek mains charger both had their outputs adjusted to suit the lithium battery. The supplier was adamant that the 10 year warranty would only be valid if they were able to check my whole system which was given the big tick. I was also advised that "cell balance" is no longer an issue with his current supply of cells.

Cheers Chris
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. Gordon on the outback forum is installing some lithium battery's in Aussie, Maybe follow his posts on that. I have an off grid home noth of auckland. Works well. On my second batterys, Both flooded.
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • nut17
    westbranch wrote: »
    The SB2000 has 3 selectable battery types for charging. which one are you using? what voltage(s) is the unit set for?

My unit has a small pot for adjusting charge voltage - set to 14.6v as per battery suppliers recommendation. It has a second pot for optimising the MPPT gain value. The dip switches are used for temperature compensation adjustment, and as I do not use a temp sensor are set to the default guide.

With my 330w solar I have regularly seen 23 and 24 amps being delivered to the battery when power generation conditions were ideal. The float voltage does worry me as it never seems to go below 14.6v but charge current drops to less than 1.0 amp in float. The battery never gets above ambient room temp.

Cheers Chris