Xantrex XW development.. update, firmware dev continuing

Les Nagy
Les Nagy Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭
For those of you hoping for any new firmware updates to the Schneider/Xantrex XW line of equipment, stop hoping. I have been asking them for an update to fix the glaring omission of battery state trigger events for the AUX relays and their reply is:

"As far as I know, we have no plans on making any changes to the XW platform "

So if you want to buy an XW system component and want it to do things like divert solar collection to some other use when the batteries reach float, you will have to do it with a computer and external software (of which there is nothing available) to manage this, or rig up some kind of hardware controller that can monitor things by itself to do so.

Some of this can be done using the XW AGS generator controller, but not all.

It turns out there was a miscommunication with the engineer at Schneider/Xantrex.

I had asked for a feature, she had interpreted my request as a hardware change and I interpreted her answer as there would be no further software updates. Sorry for for the confusion. Her response in part:

"First, let me clarify that I am not part of the firmware/software team and I am not consulted or included in any decisions or upcoming changes. This is why my statement was, “As far as I know.” The XW firmware is getting an update in 2013. I have already seen the majority of the new features and am very happy with the changes. We will continue to improve the XW as is needed for our market."

I apologize to Schneider/Xantrex for the miscommunication and to all those who read this forum.

Comments

• Joe_B
    Joe_B Solar Expert Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Xantrex XW development stopped.
    Les Nagy wrote: »
    For those of you hoping for any new firmware updates to the Schneider/Xantrex XW line of equipment, stop hoping. I have been asking them for an update to fix the glaring omission of battery state trigger events for the AUX relays and their reply is:

"As far as I know, we have no plans on making any changes to the XW platform "

So if you want to buy an XW system component and want it to do things like divert solar collection to some other use when the batteries reach float, you will have to do it with a computer and external software (of which there is nothing available) to manage this, or rig up some kind of hardware controller that can monitor things by itself to do so.

Some of this can be done using the XW AGS generator controller, but not all.

Typical schneider BS,

This was sent to me on Oct. 10th. I reported this issue back in March...

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX,

The new firmware is still under development. We do not have a timeline for release yet.

Regards,

Mike Mui on behalf of Eric Bentsen.

At this point all I can say is Arduino...
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

This is the reason I am reluctant to but the 600 vdc charge controler and the high price. I hope midnight comes out with a 600 vdc controler. :Dsolarvic:D
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    solarvic wrote: »
    This is the reason I am reluctant to but the 600 vdc charge controler and the high price. I hope midnight comes out with a 600 vdc controler. :Dsolarvic:D

:DThe new firmware is still under development. We do not have a timeline for release yet. :D
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

LOL.

4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • Les Nagy
    Les Nagy Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭

Please read the updated original post. I have updated it with new information.
  • Joe_B
    Joe_B Solar Expert Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Les Nagy wrote: »
    Please read the updated original post. I have updated it with new information.

Cautiously optomistic but given their history, I would not hold my breath waiting for it or whether it will be any better....