Solar Powered Cell Repeater For Off Grid Cabin..

ywhic
ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
Has anyone used a mini-repeater to get cell service out in the 'sticks'..

I was looking at the Wilson AG SOHO 65.. with upto 65db gain and 1500 milliwatt output.. its like $350.. though the Wilson DB Pro has the same 65db gain for about $250..

I then tripped over the smoothtalker and some other ones that say like 50-60db gain..

I can get coverage on the high side of my property, and know that my cell tower is about 15 miles NORTH (as the crows fly)..

I can put a single panel, battery, controller, and antenna (YAGI from what I read is best) and the unit which is 6v and low draw up on the hilltop and put a receiver side antenna to point toward the cabin (maybe another YAGI)..

Anyone done this with good results.. suggestions and tips ?? i'd like to stay under $450..

Comments

• Ken Marsh
    Ken Marsh Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Powered Cell Repeater For Off Grid Cabin..

Am also interested in this.
    I have looked at the small ones, wall wart powered, that are intended to fill in inside dropout places.
    Our off grid cabin is located somewhat down a mountain does not have cell service.
    The whole valley which we can see many miles of from the cabin does not have service.
    But there is service on the top of the mountain and we own the land up to the top.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I used a Wilson repeater/amplifier for years on the old CDMA network. It worked great, coupled to a high gain Yagi. I have not tried it on the new HSPA/GSM net work. One thing I will say about Wilson is that in my experience, their customer service is fantastic. The first unit I bought was a indirect coupled repeater, that i bought used. I blew it up, not knowing that the indoor antenna needed to be shielded from the outside antenna, so it fed back on itself. I looked all over for someone who could repair it, finally called Wilson. I talked to an engineer who explained what had happened, and why, and he said, "what's your address? I'll send you a new one!"

I think that they are well engineered, well built and pretty heavy duty. In the CDMA it took a hand held flip phone with virtually no service, and gave it 4 bars.

Tony
  • PorkChopsMmm
    PorkChopsMmm Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am using a zBoost with a directional yagi and flat panel antenna. I wish I would have gone with Wilson if that helps any. Your setup sounds robust enough -- they draw little power. My only concern is with my zBoost I have had to "reboot" the unit sometimes to have it continue boosting signal. Not often, but maybe once a week, twice a month, etc. I have pulled the power and when it was doing coming back online it continued passing traffic. Just something to keep in mind if this is located far away.

http://www.amazon.com/zBoost-YX-510-Signal-Booster-Dual-Band/dp/B000J2XZ1K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1345821052&sr=8-4&keywords=zboost

Be patient with positioning the antennas. I have read lots of reviews online that even with directional antennas, if they are in a close proximity, they can bleed some interference and cause the base station to not relay signal well. I am not a wireless engineer, so just an FYI.

Good luck!
  • pythagoras
    pythagoras Registered Users Posts: 1

I set up a wilson repeater with a yagi antenna 5 miles into the buckskin mountains down by parker; no cell towers visible, no bars on phone. after setup 4-5 bars.
    5-10 users! Great stuff!
    thedesertbar.com is where; I'm in prescott.
    /pythagoras
  • 241comp
    241comp Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm interested in the same thing - I have decent signal at the peak of my property, but a valley with no signal. Distance to the towers from the ridge top is ~8mi and distance to the location in the valley is ~400ft. Looking to mount a repeater, antennas, battery and solar panel to an antenna tower up on the ridge in order to provide signal down in the valley with a budget under $500. One concern I have is that the Wilson repeaters say the "indoor" and "outdoor" antennas need ~40ft separation and I definitely won't have that on my tower. Does anyone know if the antennas can be significantly closer (~3-5ft) if they are directional (eg. parabolic or yagi)?

I'm currently looking at the Wilson SOHO 60 (http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/store/display/17/45/ag-soho-60) with a parabolic antenna to the tower and yagi antenna to the valley.