Options
2»

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Need Advice- Upgrading my off-grid solar system in Ohio
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    Okay, So for now I will run the 6awg from panel frames/mounts to earth ground

The new inverter will be the Morningstar 300 true sine. It indicates a 3a inline fuse on the Black Ac output line, so I shouldn't have an issue wiring it to a standard plug then I assume.

Does the neutral ground/bond already exist within this (morningstar 300) inverter itself, or does that occur if and when I would connect earth ground to the neutral ac output on the inverter as the diagram indicates?

No; there is no internal N-G bond. The instructions actually say you can bond either side (or at least they did).
    What if I just earth ground the panels (frame) and do not ground any equipment? Is this what they call a "floating system"?

Yes, and for maximum safety you'd need to have parallel disconnects on positive and negative both. Otherwise either can be "hot" in respect to ground if something goes wrong. (The same is true of floating AC.)
    My solar "utility room" is approx 30ft from the ground in the cabin loft. It would get pretty expensive to "single point ground" each unit that has a grounding lug.

That's just what I meant by it being impractical sometimes. Run a single wire along the path from the 'first' piece of equipment to the 'second' and so on, ending at the Earth grounding rod.

Basically the point of Electrical Safety Ground is to create a dead short on power if something goes wrong causing circuit protection to activate and removing power at the source so that metal casings of anything that might be touched won't be energized. If they are then it is possible for a person touching it to become the new path of least resistance in the circuit. This is what is known as "getting shocked" or sometimes "electrocution".
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

My two cents: :roll:
    Okay, So for now I will run the 6awg from panel frames/mounts to earth ground

The new inverter will be the Morningstar 300 true sine. It indicates a 3a inline fuse on the Black Ac output line, so I shouldn't have an issue wiring it to a standard plug then I assume.

I don't see a need for the 3 amp fuse--And that fuse is under rated for inverter that is spec'ed for 600 Watts @ 10 minutes (~5.2 amps @ 115 VAC).
    Does the neutral ground/bond already exist within this (morningstar 300) inverter itself, or does that occur if and when I would connect earth ground to the neutral ac output on the inverter as the diagram indicates?

No--As far as I know, the output of the MorningStar 300 TSW inverter is floating... You can let it float or tie it to your "local" ground (99% of the time, it will not matter what you do--In a very few cases, you may have problems starting tube type florescent fixtures in cold weather or poor function from AC powered automatic spark ignitors in Stoves, etc. Both tend to use a Grounded Neutral for best operation).

In theory, floating AC output power supplies are less of a shock hazard. However, because a wire can be shorted to ground at any time/any where--It best not to assume "safety" of a floating AC output (in a factory, this would be "inspected" once a day or once a week to ensure the output is "really" floating).
    What if I just earth ground the panels (frame) and do not ground any equipment? Is this what they call a "floating system"?

You are "earthing" or grounding the metal frames to reduce the chance of lighting energy choosing its own path (through the wooden structure, or through your wiring). Also, during some conditions, you can have high static charges build up on the ground frames--So that can be a shock hazard (if you are working on the roof).
    My solar "utility room" is approx 30ft from the ground in the cabin loft. It would get pretty expensive to "single point ground" each unit that has a grounding lug.

Several grounds we are talking about here... First there is the "main ground" which is usually just outside the exterior wall nearest to your "main panel" (whatever that is) and where power "enters" the home.

A second ground (rod) maybe that at a solar array XX feet or more from the home that is used to connect just the solar panel frames (and metal structure) to earth ground. I like to tie a ~6 AWG wire from the remote ground rod to the main ground rod. This ground connection is to provide "solid" grounding if you have power at the array (say you brought out AC power for a local AC outlet). If there is a short to the solar array assembly, it will trip the breaker/inverter back at the home.

Next. "Single Point Grounding" may not mean what you think it does (at least to me). A single point ground is a connection from the ground rod to (for example) your battery Ground Bus (negative bus typically).

You can have a second wire from the main ground rod to the AC Neutral (either at the inverter or the main AC Panel).

The point is not to have other ground wires going to a DC ground elsewhere (say at the inverter DC negative connection or a second Neutral White wire to ground connection) back to the Main Ground Rod (as an example). This would allow parallel current paths for the return current--And grounds are supposed to be for "safety" and not a parallel current path (in normal operation).

Notice that in the above "simple" grounding scheme--The "Main Ground Rod" has three connections--One from the Remote ground rod, a second to the Battery negative bus, and a third to the AC Neutral / White Wire common/bus point.

You will probably have other safety green wires that can all run to the DC negative Bus for safety ground (say the Solar Charge Controller "earth ground", the AC Inverter's "earth ground"... And you can run other grounds (like the third green wire ground in your AC outlets) to the Neutral/White Earth Ground common / bus point.

More or less, I would suggest keeping the DC "safety ground" separate from the AC "safety round"... Generally, with batteries you can be looking at 100-400 amp circuits. And on the AC side you may be looking at 3-50 amp circuits--Much less current (you don't want to dump a Hot to Metal Case short in your AC inverter to a 14 AWG wire in your AC grounding system)... You want to take that Inverter safety ground (with 6 AWG or heavier wire) directly to the Battery Bank Negative Bus (so you an pop the inverter "200 amp" branch circuit Fuse/Breaker).

If you are in a lightning area, you may want to add lighting/surge suppressors where the DC PV wires enter the building (J box of some sort) and add some suppressors on the Inverter AC output too (watch the suppressors' ratings so that you got the AC and DC voltage ratings correct).

We do have some links on lightning control:
    BB. wrote: »
    A couple threads about Lightning:

Off Grid Grounding Technique?
    Another Question, this time about Lightning

Note, the above are discussions, not a do A, B, and C--and you will be "safe". There probably is no such thing with lightning. Several different techniques are discussed--and a few of those posters even have experience with lightning. :cool:

And our host's consolidated FAQ page:

www.windsun.com
    Lightning Protection for PV Systems

From other past posts here, Windsun (admin/owner of NAWS), he said that most of lighting induced failures he saw were in the Inverters' AC output section.

Towards the end of this thread is a very nice discussion of proper generator grounding.

Since those above posts, Midnite has come out with some newer surge suppressors which may work much better than the standard Delta brand versions:

Surge Protection Devices
    Metal Oxide Varistors mounted in PV junction box? (one of the threads where we discussed Delta/Midnite suppressors)

I am no expert at this--So, doing some research and/or finding a HAM radio person with lightning experience will be helpful.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Heisenberg
    Heisenberg Registered Users Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Options

Attachment not found.

Here's an update to what I've come up with so far. Let me know any suggestions, corrections, etc. Thanks!
    8)
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

You know, these on-line images just keep getting smaller and smaller. :blush:

From what I can see you've got two fuses on the batteries. Since these are two 6 Volts in series you only need one.
    There does not appear to be a fuse on the MS 15 MPPT's output. There should be.

Other than that it looks okay. Just small and fuzzy. :p
  • BB.
    Options

I missed the fuses... From Marc's comment, you have two 30 amp fuses mounted on the battery terminals, only only need one (usually on the last positive terminal on the right.

And you have a 60 amp breaker for the 300 watts / 600 watt surge inverter. You would need, at least, 60 amps for the battery fuse (if you use one at all). And if this is the "common positive bus" you can use a larger fuse (for positive bus) and a 20 amp fuse to the (15 amp rated) charge controller.

The Battery Fuse rating could be based on the battery wiring interconnect (as a maximum rating for battery fuse).

By the way, if you will be close to 600 watt continuous (inverter is rated for 600 watts at 10 minutes) on the AC inverter, the branch circuit should be rated:

600 watts * 1/10.5 volts cutoff * 1/0.85 inverter eff * 1.25 NEC safety factor = 84 amp minimum branch circuit

Or 80-100 amps minimum breaker.

The 6 amp fuse is not really needed on the AC output (yes, the inverter manual does call out a 3 amp fuse which is too small and not really needed either).

Will you be grounding the "white wire/neutral" in the AC distribution panel? Not required for most installations, but is "standard" for code (and many "main panel" boxes will have a neutral/earth bond in them unless "defeated").

Lastly, keep the wiring from the charge controller to the battery bank as short as practical to keep voltage drop down.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Heisenberg
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    I missed the fuses... From Marc's comment, you have two 30 amp fuses mounted on the battery terminals, only only need one (usually on the last positive terminal on the right.

And you have a 60 amp breaker for the 300 watts / 600 watt surge inverter. You would need, at least, 60 amps for the battery fuse (if you use one at all). And if this is the "common positive bus" you can use a larger fuse (for positive bus) and a 20 amp fuse to the (15 amp rated) charge controller.

The Battery Fuse rating could be based on the battery wiring interconnect (as a maximum rating for battery fuse).

By the way, if you will be close to 600 watt continuous (inverter is rated for 600 watts at 10 minutes) on the AC inverter, the branch circuit should be rated:

600 watts * 1/10.5 volts cutoff * 1/0.85 inverter eff * 1.25 NEC safety factor = 84 amp minimum branch circuit

Or 80-100 amps minimum breaker.

The 6 amp fuse is not really needed on the AC output (yes, the inverter manual does call out a 3 amp fuse which is too small and not really needed either).

Will you be grounding the "white wire/neutral" in the AC distribution panel? Not required for most installations, but is "standard" for code (and many "main panel" boxes will have a neutral/earth bond in them unless "defeated").

Lastly, keep the wiring from the charge controller to the battery bank as short as practical to keep voltage drop down.

-Bill

Thanks Marc and Bill

So.. what if I upgrade the far right (pos) terminal fuse on the battery bank to be 60A since this will be my "common positive buss" and I won't put one on the terminal that connects the batteries in series

Since I already have the Bussman 60A circuit breaker, would that still be okay to use between the 60A positive terminal fuse and the inverter, assuming I upgrade the terminal fuse to 60A? I also purchased the bussman breaker to serve as a inverter "disconnect" for when I leave the cabin.

When you reference the branch circuit, does this mean I should upgrade the AC breakers in the panel from 30A to at least 80-100A each? I have 4 circuits in the AC panel that all have 30A breakers each right now. As I mentioned before, I intend to wire the inverters AC output to a plug receptacle in which I will plug and unplug the main line to the AC distribution panel. I would assume then that I should determine if the receptacle is rated for 80-100A?

I do not intend to ground the white/neutral in the AC panel and the panel currently is wired to have "no neutral ground bond" as I had been using a modified sine wave inverter prior to this upgrade. In regards to grounding, I am still digesting all your guys info :blush: and still not sure on how and where other than I am going to earth ground the panel frames for now.

Thanks again! I'm working on making the picture a little more visible ;)

Joe
  • BB.
    Options
    Thanks Marc and Bill

So.. what if I upgrade the far right (pos) terminal fuse on the battery bank to be 60A since this will be my "common positive buss" and I won't put one on the terminal that connects the batteries in series
    What ever is the maximum current you plan on pulling * 1.25 for NEC derating (a 60 amp breaker would supply ~48 volts of 12 volt current reliably--Or 48a*10.5v minimum*0.85inv eff = 428 watts worst case)
    Since I already have the Bussman 60A circuit breaker, would that still be okay to use between the 60A positive terminal fuse and the inverter, assuming I upgrade the terminal fuse to 60A? I also purchased the bussman breaker to serve as a inverter "disconnect" for when I leave the cabin.

The battery fuse block is a bit redundant at this point. I would probably not use it.
    When you reference the branch circuit, does this mean I should upgrade the AC breakers in the panel from 30A to at least 80-100A each? I have 4 circuits in the AC panel that all have 30A breakers each right now. As I mentioned before, I intend to wire the inverters AC output to a plug receptacle in which I will plug and unplug the main line to the AC distribution panel. I would assume then that I should determine if the receptacle is rated for 80-100A?

The 12 VDC circuit to the DC input of the inverter should be ~80-100 amps if you wish to use the 600 watt rating (10 minutes)--If you use less max continuous current, you can use a smaller fuse/breaker.
    I do not intend to ground the white/neutral in the AC panel and the panel currently is wired to have "no neutral ground bond" as I had been using a modified sine wave inverter prior to this upgrade. In regards to grounding, I am still digesting all your guys info :blush: and still not sure on how and where other than I am going to earth ground the panel frames for now.

You do not need to earth bond the neutral for the AC TSW Inverter output. North American convention is to earth ground the neutral and any major metal objects (metal rails for solar array mounting, metal water pipes, breaker panels/conduit runs, appliances with three prong plugs, etc.). A bit over kill for a small cabin installation.

The earth ground for the panels (mostly lightning control)--Just a 8-10 foot copper rod (or ground plate) at the base of where ever the panels are mounted with a 6 awg minimum cable going straight from the panel frames to the local ground rod--Making "sweeping turns" (something like 18" minimum radius???) so the lightning does not "jump" at a sharp corner.

-Bill
  • Heisenberg
    Options

Attachment not found.

Okay, Thanks.

Got rid of any terminal fuse

I will only be using the AC for lights and radio so I don't think I'll ever reach the 600watt rating.

If I only ground the panel frames, therefore having a "floating system", one of you had mentioned to make sure I have a "parallel disconnect" on positive and negative both for DC and AC. Could you explain further and how and where to do this on the layout above?
  • Heisenberg
    Options

I've come to a point where I'm considering my options for battery bank location in this design. My current system has it's battery bank located outside of the cabin in a battery enclosure. When I install this new system I want to have the battery bank inside the cabin, but understand the importance of gassing and proper ventilation. I've come across this unit and wondered if anyone has any experience or advice related to proper venting.

http://www.altestore.com/store/Deep-Cycle-Batteries/VentilatorsBattery-Fans/Zephyr-Industries-Powervent-12V-Battery-Box-Ventilation/p2287/

1.) From what I can tell upon reading... this exhaust fan has a back draft damper that is regulated to open and close based on set points related to the battery banks voltage which tells it when to open and close and allow the fan to operate.

2.) My Morningstar MPPT has terminals for 12v load. I have no plans for utilizing this "option" on my controller at this time, and wondered if connecting this fan to the controller as it's source of power would be adequate...or am I missing something in regards to "relay" or "switches" that the manual discusses.

Thanks for your help as always!
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

The floating system with the parallel disconnects must have been Bill's idea. Me, I'd just ground it. Otherwise you need to be able to shut off (+) and (-) simultaneously on the DC side and both AC lines on that side (as opposed to having the negative and one AC line grounded and only needing to disconnect the resulting "hot" side on input and output).

I believe the Zephyr fan will work just as you wish. They don't draw much current, and the LOAD terminals of a charge controller can usually take the full current rating of the controller (i.e. 30 Amps on a 30 Amp controller, etc.) However, this vent fan (muffin fan in a PVC pipe) does not appear to have built-in Voltage control; note the "ADD-ONS" on the same page are V-controlled relays. Some charge controllers (high end) have built-in AUX functions which could do this directly (or through a relay - depending on current needed), otherwise you do need something to switch the fan on at 'X' Volts (Absorb stage) and off when below that.

At least one of the members here has had bad experience in buying from altE, just so you know.
  • Heisenberg
    Options

Hello again

Any suggestions on which type of fuse holder and fuse to use where the charge controller calls for a 25 amp dc rated fuse installed within 6 inches of + battery post? I will be using either 10 or 12 awg wire from charge controller to battery.

Same question for the 100 amp fuse called for on my inverter which I'm using 4 awg wire. For this I had purchased a bussman mrcb 60a circuit breaker, only to find that it calls for 100a.

Thanks for your help
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

I'll take the easy way out and point to our host's selection of standard inverter fuses: http://www.solar-electric.com/infubr.html

And MidNite's 600 VDC fuses which can be used for panels or controller output: http://www.solar-electric.com/mnatm.html

There's also the Blue Sea battery post fuses: http://bluesea.com/productline/overview/379 Which should be available from a marine or RV dealer near you.

Others will have further options for you to explore I'm sure. :D
  • Heisenberg
    Options

Attachment not found.

Quick picture of my progress on upgrading my solar system

Still some more wiring left, adding 2 more panels to the roof, and purchasing batteries for the bank