MC4 Cable Alternatives

Steve961
Steve961 Solar Expert Posts: 93 ✭✭✭✭
I'm looking for an alternative to the usual MC4 connectors. I'm trying to design a quick detachable panel and mount system so I can easily remove a single panel and lock it up when I leave my cabin. I see that the MC4 connectors require a tool to disconnect, and I was wondering if there was a connector that would be easier to work with. This is an off grid cabin so there aren't any regulations that I need to follow, so anything that is safe, easy, and weatherproof would be OK. BTW, the panel is 190 watts, 36 volts, and 5 amps.

Thanks.

Steve

Comments

• peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    Re: MC4 Cable Alternatives

The tool is piece of plastic with two tangs on it. I would expect they give them away at trade shows but for us consumers I think I paid $12 per pair. I expect the licking tabs could be disabled quite readily with a jackknife
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭

The male and female MC4 connectors can be disconnected by hand-no tool needed.

The special tool comes in handy when assembling or disassembling the connector from the wire. This tool is not necessary though - pliers can used.. An appropriate crimping tool is needed to put a new MC4 connector onto bare wire end.
  • Steve961
    Steve961 Solar Expert Posts: 93 ✭✭✭✭
    mtdoc wrote: »
    The male and female MC4 connectors can be disconnected by hand-no tool needed.

This makes my day. Thanks.