The United States Army: Embracing Solar

RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
Most people realize that a main benefit of using solar panels to generate energy is the ability to decentralize power production, but have you ever imagined what those implications could mean in an overseas defense scenario? A recent report states that U.S. soldiers have been utilizing solar power in the Afghanistan War for around two years. Their solar power equipment ranges stationary solar arrays to solar backpack kits, and includes 38kW...

go to solarfeeds for the rest of this story>>>>>solarfeed?d=yIl2AUoC8zA solarfeed?i=x-gC-qJ7EvE:FdG_87fbI58:gIN9vFwOqvQ solarfeed?d=qj6IDK7rITs solarfeed?i=x-gC-qJ7EvE:FdG_87fbI58:V_sGLiPBpWU solarfeed?d=dnMXMwOfBR0
x-gC-qJ7EvE

More...

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: The United States Army: Embracing Solar
    RSSfeed wrote: »
    Most people realize that a main benefit of using solar panels to generate energy is the ability to decentralize power production, but have you ever imagined what those implications could mean in an overseas defense scenario? A recent report states that U.S. soldiers have been utilizing solar power in the Afghanistan War for around two years. Their solar power equipment ranges stationary solar arrays to solar backpack kits, and includes 38kW...

When your fuel costs are high enough, almost anything becomes economical!

I really like the idea of the flexible panels attached to canvas in the picture. You are not looking at terribly long life, and you have lots of area so the disadvantages of thin film are not so important anymore.

I bet that they are using low weight batteries too.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.