Make your own battery

Options
Steven Lake
Steven Lake Solar Expert Posts: 402 ✭✭
http://www.arizonaenergy.org/AltEnergyClub/homemade%20batteries.pdf

Found this while surfing. Thought you guys might like to look it over just for the novelty factor. Or maybe as a source of ideas for one of those rainy/snowy day projects to burn time. ;)

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Make your own battery

We'll go for the renewable battery with the copper and zinc plates in lemon juice!

What I really want to know is: where do you get all this "free time" for working on projects?! :p
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry but didnt get to far was a bit busy ,gave up at "1 megaohm
    resister" in series with 2x1.5v "D"cells. It says it would last for months ,mabe so but the light output would not be visible unless held at closer than 1" from your eye.
  • Steven Lake
    Options

Cariboocoot, it's called working for ourself. Free time is pretty much whenever you want it. Of course, there are some seasons (ie, post harvest/winter) that offer you a LOT more free time as there's a whole lot less work to do. My busiest times are typically spring planting, mid summer, and fall harvest. (I live in farm country and am part of a huge family of farmers despite not being one myself) The rest of the time I have long periods between projects or lots of downtime during them. So I fill up my boredom by doing odd projects like this. If nothing else they're fun and I learn stuff from them. :D
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Well I do work for myself, but it seems if I sit down for five seconds somebody around here thinks of something more I should be doing. :p
  • Steven Lake
    Options

hahaha. Yeah, that sounds like me at times. Although my family has learned not to call on me anymore unless absolutely necessary. And right now that's pretty much only during planting, harvest, or hay cutting (ie, mid summer). That's the three times of the year when it's all hands on deck. Otherwise my busy vs freetime is dictated by the projects I have on my docket, and the things my clients need from me. (I'm a professional tech head, so I go around building and/or fixing really expensive networking toys, websites and software apps.) For example, right now I'm pretty much dead work wise until after the 1st, sans something breaking down of course. Mostly because all my pre-Christmas client projects are done, their stuff is up and running, and they won't need me again until they start doing tax stuff Jan 1st. Holy cripes is that a workload. It's 31 days, from Jan 1 to Jan 31st, of OMGWTF level work loads. After that it's kinda hit and miss up until spring planting. Now obviously that's just a condensed version of a small portion of my year, as my actual work loads vary week to week, but I think it gives you an idea of my work loads. ;)

But overall, yeah, these crazy little projects, like the make your own battery thing, and others, are just ways to fill the time when there's nothing left to do but surf the internet, and when you make your living on the web, it's probably one of the least interesting things I like to do in my downtime. I'd rather be knuckles deep in 90wt oil than in front of the PC on days like that. ;)