MC-4 crimp tool

Options
paulskirocks
paulskirocks Solar Expert Posts: 84 ✭✭✭✭
OK, I have seen the custom MC-4 crimp tools for a few hundred dollars, but is there a cheapy out there that will actually crimp it correctly?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: MC-4 crimp tool

One option if you will only need to make a few crimps--Purchase some male/female MC4 cables and cut them in 1/2. Splice them into the rest of your system.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • paulskirocks
    Options

Well, I already have the separate wire and connectors... There are only four to do, but I still want a good connection... What about soldering them? They are just 8 amp strings...
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Here is one thread with a less expensive crimping tool (something like $30-$45 each???):

What is the fastest way to add MC4 connectors to final return lines on GT solar array?

I have soldered many connections over the years--If the cables are well supported (so they cannot flex), solder can work OK. If the wire flexes, the solder forms a fulcrum where the flexing is focused and the copper work hardens/fails. Make sure you use rosin core or "no clean" solder made for electrical soldering--not plumber's flux (which is corrosive).

It has been subject of several threads here with lots of strong opinions... From a UL point of view, soldering is not a "safe" connection if the joint melts and the wire pulls out of the connector.

And a proper crimp connection is gas tight anyway--so solder does not add anything (IMHO) to the quality of the joint.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • simagic
    simagic Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just had the same situation where I had a just few to crimp. I bought some generic crimping tool ( was on the end of a wire cutter). Then what I did was take a (** small **) needle nose pliers ( even that medical needle nose thing is good) and bent the little ends (from the mc4 connector) around the wire. after they were "kind of" around the wire, I squeezed it hard the the generic crimper. Then, just for my piece of mind, I through a little solder in there. Worked just fine and didn't have to spend as much on a crimper that would have to spend on a panel.
  • paulskirocks
    Options

OK, thanks for that link... I just ordered the Eclipse 300-176 for $45 shipped... I can see where this crimper will com in handy for other connectors, as well...

http://zackelectronics.com/tools-installation-aids/tools/crimpers/eclipse-300-176-tools-crimpro-crimper-for-mc4-solar-panel-contacts.html
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It will also work on Anderson connectors. Hope it is the ratcheting type...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada