Charge controller

2»

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Charge controller

I would set the dump load to a higher voltage (14.6 volts or so) for calm conditions... You could always drop back to 14.4 during windy weather.

Can you set the Steca to a longer absorb time--Or possibly just set float voltage to 14.2 or 14.4 volts (your absorb voltage)... For your system, you are not charging 24x7 on a UPS system with rare/random power usage.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • rake1
    rake1 Solar Expert Posts: 173 ✭✭

The Steca is a pain I can't change it to 14.4 I already tried this. It is sensing the batteries are charged because I see it at 13.3 volts on the display and it is cutting back amps to the battery. At 14.2 it pretty well stops charging the batteries completely even though ther is still 15 amps coming in. The TS 60 is great I can adjust it and have on occasion when windy but it doesn't do any good to adjust it when the sun is doing the job because the Steca has already cut the power way back before it even gets to the TS-60.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Wire the TS controller up for now and see what happens?

Does the TS controller have any programmable outputs? (don't think so).

There is an integrated set of relays for TS family devices (I think)--Perhaps that can be set to turn on resistor bank?

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/relay-driver

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • rake1

Does the TS controller have any programmable outputs? (don't think so).
    Only programmable input. I am going to look into bypassing the Steca and see if the TS-60 will do both jobs Solar and wind I think it will.
    Either that or a solar controller that will let me adjust up the voltage to keep it in absorb longer. Surly other are having the same problem with
    going into float before the batteries are up high enough in the absorb state.I will contact Morning star see if I can get a wiring diagram straight to the TS-60.
    thank for all your help.
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭

In addition to changing output with the Dip switches, I'm pretty sure you can program the TS outputs with their MS view software (at least that is what the manual says). I recently bought a used TS45 and downloaded the software but I haven't tried it yet.

I don't think you're going to want to use the same controller for both wind and solar.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    rake1 wrote: »
    I am going to look into bypassing the Steca and see if the TS-60 will do both jobs Solar and wind I think it will.

This is exactly what I was about to suggest. As long as the combined output of the wind + solar won't exceed 60A and your dump load can handle the combined output then you're good to go. If you check the wiring diagrams for the TS in dump load mode you'll see that the TS is connected across the battery, so it should already be configured to dump surplus battery power, it doesn't specifically know anything about wind or solar, it just starts dumping when the battery volts rise above the charging limits.
    All that should be required is to bypass the steca and connect the solar directly to the battery bank.
  • mtdoc
    stephendv wrote: »
    This is exactly what I was about to suggest. As long as the combined output of the wind + solar won't exceed 60A and your dump load can handle the combined output then you're good to go. If you check the wiring diagrams for the TS in dump load mode you'll see that the TS is connected across the battery, so it should already be configured to dump surplus battery power, it doesn't specifically know anything about wind or solar, it just starts dumping when the battery volts rise above the charging limits.
    All that should be required is to bypass the steca and connect the solar directly to the battery bank.

He'd have to have a very small wind turbine, wouldn't he?

His diversion load looks to be 1200 watts so I believe this can more than handle the full 60 amp output of the TS60 at 15 Volts.

Actually - if I'm looking at his picture right - (4 X 300 watt resistors?) then this exceeds the maximum diversion load for the TS60 on a 12V system.
  • stephendv
    mtdoc wrote: »
    He'd have to have a very small wind turbine, wouldn't he?
    Actually - if I'm looking at his picture right - (4 X 300 watt resistors?) then this exceeds the maximum diversion load for the TS60 on a 12V system.

The lowest voltage the TS will be dumping at will be float voltage, so about 13.4V, which is 800W. He only has 265W of solar, so can have about 540W of wind, both dumped through the same controller.
  • mtdoc
    stephendv wrote: »
    The lowest voltage the TS will be dumping at will be float voltage, so about 13.4V, which is 800W. He only has 265W of solar, so can have about 540W of wind, both dumped through the same controller.

I don't know much about wind power but won't gusty winds on a sunny day with an oversized diversion load mean the possibility of overcharging and possibly ruining his AGMs. Even worse, possibly an unloaded turbine that could result in some turbine parts being carried off in the breeze... Just sayin'

I'm a newbie when it comes to diversion loads and have no experience with wind power, so I very well could be wrong. Just trying to learn more.

From the TS manual:
    If the diversion load is too large, it will draw more current than the rating of
    the TriStar. The controller’s overload protection may disconnect the diversion
    load, and this will result in all of the source current going to the battery.

CAUTION: The diversion load must be able to absorb the full power output of the
    source, but the load must never exceed the current rating of the TriStar controller.
    Otherwise, the battery can be overcharged and damaged.
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭

Already having the TS-60 controller and 4 wind turbines I do the following:

Don't hook up the turbines to the controller at all. Instead, hook their DC wiring, if that's the case, directly to a buss block + & - on the battery bank (in parallel one hopes). All 4 of mine are hooked up this way except they're ran 3 phase AC to their rectifiers, then to the buss bars. That way, all the batteries can absorb the load easily and your dump load remains minimal.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • rake1

Mtdoc you are correct about the dump load being to large and cause a disconnect and over charge the battery. But if you look at the Picture closely you will see I only have the top two resisters hook up for that reason. Also the TS-60 does dump when the solar is putting in to much. Doesn't happen often because the solar charge controller restricts the amp to the batteries quick quickly so they don't get over charged.It has been a couple of years since I wired this so it is not that fresh in my mind, i will have to dig out the TS-60 manual again see if I can by pass that solar charge controller.
    I was thinking about replacing the Steca with a Xantrex C35 it has an adjustable input up to 14.4 v. My current one stops at 14.2 v. The TS-60 can go to 15Volts I believe. Just trying to find one at a reasonable price shipped to Canada.
  • stephendv

Here are some details on how to run everything off the tristar: http://scoraigwind.co.uk/installing-and-configuring-a-tristar-controller-for-a-wind-system/