Transfer switch delay...

Options
fca1
fca1 Solar Expert Posts: 124 ✭✭
Hi to all i'm building a "kind" of ATS based on mechanical relays, these relay will be by default on the inverter and in case of battery voltage drop below 23.8V will trigger to the other power source,

It almost done and working fine... But

I was thinking that these relays would have a slow change speed and that i would have a drop in the output and i want that drop so that my appliances with engines would not suffer from out of phase and get some malfunction in the future..

Now even without wanting i have a ATS that does a transfer so quick that even the computer keeps working, this good that will take me out of the way an ups so that that i don't loose power on ligths and computers, but for the engine appliances i think will not make them happy ...

The secondary power source will always be on before the change (GRID for now), so will it worth to put some cut load before change source so that my engines will stop and restart from zero ?

Engines i mean freezers, washing machines etc, and the chance of the switch being made when using those are high because they are the ones that use more power...

thanks for the advice.

first prototype:
i-KCctt7P-M.jpg

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Transfer switch delay...

i'm not sure i am following you rightly as there shouldn't be any out of phase thing going on as that would only happen if both power sources were present on the wires at the same time. mechanical relays do pose a bit more of a time lag than do solid state, but both have a lag time that should not harm anything that is connected. remember, no power present means no phases present either.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fca1 wrote: »
    I was thinking that these relays would have a slow change speed and that i would have a drop in the output and i want that drop so that my appliances with engines would not suffer from out of phase and get some malfunction in the future..

You are correct that a device with some types of AC motor and a fair amount of rotational inertia will have a "memory" of the line voltage applied in the form of the internal magnetic field, and will draw a higher than normal inrush current if the new power source hits in the wrong phase relationship to the position of the motor shaft and the residual magnetism. Possibly more current than that drawn when cold starting.
    I believe that this would only be problem for a period of a few cycles, so a time lag between the time source A drops out and the time source B is engaged could mitigate that. But that could happen by incorporating a delay into solid-state switching just as easily as depending on the relay speed.

The other approach would be that taken in many UPS designs which synchronize the two source voltage waveforms before switching, usually by having the inverter running continuously even when it is not carrying load.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭
    Options
    The secondary power source will always be on before the change (GRID for now), so will it worth to put some cut load before change source so that my engines will stop and restart from zero ?

You'll probably want to put a UPS on the critical loads like computers, sensitive electronics and lighting that you want to stay on. Fast transfer switching insures almost zero chance that your backup power source is in phase with the primary, meaning huge surge amps to your running motors. Three phase motors usually can handle this in stride. But single phase capacitor start motors with a separate start winding can suffer severe damage if the motor's rotor slows to the point of engaging the centrifugal starting capacitor switch while the rotor and field is in one phase state and a different phase state power source "hits" it.

In the absence of a phase synchronized backup power source, you will need to use timed delay switching. With timed delay systems you will have to time the delay so refrigeration compressors can restart without being rotor locked due to excessive trapped pressure on the compressor head. While locked rotor amp draw on refrigeration systems might not bother a virtually unlimited backup source like the grid, it will affect standby generators because they have limited surge capacity.

Typically with standby generator systems the UPS will keep critical circuits alive while the generator is started and warmed up, and then the load transfer takes place. There are two types for standby generators so it might be worth going over that, as I suspect you are designing your system to be eventually used with a generator instead of the grid:

- facilities that operate human life support systems, like hospitals, require standby generators in dual redundant mode. Those type start two generators (typically over 1.0 MW each) that frequency and voltage synchronize with one another. Both generators synch with the UPS and both are required by law to be started, online, sync'd and accept full campus load from the UPS within 10 seconds of a power outage. These types of paralleling switch gears and gensets are very, very, very expensive. You don't even want to know what they cost. Suffice it to say we're talking in excess of $5 million just for the UPS that keeps surgery, ICU, etc powered up while the standby's are coming online.

Residential and other normal backup systems used timed delay switching. Again, a UPS can keep critical systems like computers and elevators powered up during the switch. The transfer gear waits for usually at least 10 seconds to evaluate whether or not the primary power is coming back. Then it starts the generator and warms it for usually 2 minutes or so (depending on ambient temp). This delay automatically reduces the surge load for things like refrigeration compressors because it lets them "bleed down" so their rotors aren't locked. Then the transfer gear makes the switch and the backup power source accepts the load.

I don't know the particulars of your loads and maximum surge requirement. But in the absence of a sync'd backup source I'd vote for a timed delay switch gear to prevent damage to your single phase motors and overload of your backup source if you are running refrigeration systems.
    --
    Chris
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,465 admin
    Options

And I would vote for the "don't care" about the delay/phase hit in a small backup power system...

More than likely you are using AC power supplies (computers, tv's), universal motors (brushed motors for electric drills, kitchen mixers, etc.), or induction motors (~1,725 RPM) which don't care about phase (first items in list) or are always "out of phase" (in a way) with the incoming power.

I am sure you have pulled a plug and pushed it back in, or flipped a switch off and back on again--You have random phase delays and hit the sine wave at the crest or near zero volts, etc... It just does not matter on a home scale power system.

You can have high surge current (which may cause problems with a small inverter)--Some AC power supplies use NTC MOV (negative temperature coefficient metal oxide varistors) to limit input current surge to AC power supplies (with large input capacitors). A cold NTC MOV has relatively high resistance--A little current starts to flow, charging the input capacitor for the AC to DC supply, NTC MOV gets hotter, resistance falls and begins to let "normal current flow" happen. If you quickly cut and re-establish power before the MOVs cool, then you can get a high surge current into the power supply--Should not hurt the supply, but could pop a breaker or cause a generator/inverter to sag until the input cap is recharged.

So, my argument would be to do the transfer quickly (within ~1/2 cycle is the spec. for a typical UPS) or have a 5 minute delay (let fridge pressures balance, power supply MOVs cool, etc.). I would not do a 1-10 second delay on purpose if I was trying to make the AC transfers "low stress" situations in a generic setup.

If you had large synchronous motors attached to huge flywheels (like a punch press) or were trying to synchronize multiple power sources (generators/inverters in parallel, etc.), that is a whole different kettle of fish.

Where people (with normal loads) get into trouble with switching (or short power hits) is for compressors and such motors where the starting torque requirements vary with the load/time delay...

For example, many compressors will "unload" so the motor can start turning without requiring excessive starting torque (air compressors, refrigerator/freezer motors as examples).

With a fridge, if you kill the power for over a fraction of a second, the motor stops turning but there is still pressure between the high side and low side with take minutes to equalize. If you try to restart the motor without waiting that 5 minutes or so (just a guess), the motor will instead "stall", which draws excessive current, causes the current limit/thermal sensor to trip, motor cools back down over 5-10 minutes, switch closes, motor start normally--everything is fine).

Similar issues with air compressors (and positive displacement fluid pumps). Motor stalls, trips the over current limits, and then manual or automatic reset to restart.

-Bill "my two cents worth" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • fca1
    Options

Hi there, my main worries are for thermodynamic unit that uses a compressor (its like a inverted freezer) and that engine is 1200w and has some times a startup kick of 3000W... i'm afraid of changing thr power source/ phase that quick.
    Even taking the plug in /out its not so fast as the relay...

i will test it wihout the load cut and see whats the behavior, if not good i will have to had another relay to the output of the ats and

1º cut load
    2º wait
    3º change over

thanks for all your input i will give news...
  • BB.
    Options

A few cycle cutout and non-phased sync startup--I would not worry.

For refrigerators, it is actually part of the design requirement that if they get a short power hit--The motor stalls on restart, kicks out the thermal protection device, cools (and pressure balances) and restarts in 5 minutes or so (after motor/motor starter) cool down.

I have seen worst power hits that confuse "cheaper" UPS systems--Where one out of 10 real power failures, the PC type computer still reboots. I could never reproduce the wave form in the lab to cause something like that to happen.

Real life power is going to be "uglier" than anything you are doing here.

In the end, do the transfer quick, or after five minutes (if heat pump type system--although some larger units appear to unload much quicker--you can hear the pressure dump/equalization in some units).

Unless you plan on switching multiple times per day--A once a month/few times a year power fail over should not dramatically "stress/reduce life" of your heat pump system... And if it did--I would contact the mfg. and see what they can do to reduce any power hit stress (add unloader, external cutout timer, etc.);.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • fca1
    Options
    Unless you plan on switching multiple times per day--A once a month/few times a year power fail over should not dramatically "stress/reduce life" of your heat pump system... And if it did--I would contact the mfg. and see what they can do to reduce any power hit stress (add unloader, external cutout timer, etc.);.

On the winter most sure i will switch once a day because not enough sun to charge batteries, at least until i upgrade to more PV panels...

regards
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

You can get a couple " Delay on Break or Delay on Make " timer cubes for less than $10. They would take care of any problem. Your heat pump should take care of it's self, it should already have one. If your just missing a half cycle or so they might not even trigger. These go inline, cut one wire and hook to each terminal.

These are 18-240 v ac, but you can get dc if you need them. These will handle 1 amp, but you can get them with a 10-20 amp relay built in or you can control another relay with them for big AMP's.

http://www.pexsupply.com/ICM-Controls-ICM203-ICM203-Delay-on-Break-Timer-03-10-Minute-Knob-Adjust-Delay?gclid=COCu_e3QzrMCFSemPAodykgA3Q
  • fca1
    Options
    You can get a couple " Delay on Break or Delay on Make " timer cubes for less than $10. They would take care of any problem. Your heat pump should take care of it's self, it should already have one. If your just missing a half cycle or so they might not even trigger. These go inline, cut one wire and hook to each terminal.

These are 18-240 v ac, but you can get dc if you need them. These will handle 1 amp, but you can get them with a 10-20 amp relay built in or you can control another relay with them for big AMP's.

http://www.pexsupply.com/ICM-Controls-ICM203-ICM203-Delay-on-Break-Timer-03-10-Minute-Knob-Adjust-Delay?gclid=COCu_e3QzrMCFSemPAodykgA3Q

yest that would be perfect, but i need at least the 10amp version (can't find it on the site) and also unit would need to detect the power loss and that i have doubts..
  • Blackcherry04
    Options
    yest that would be perfect, but i need at least the 10amp version (can't find it on the site) and also unit would need to detect the power loss and that i have doubts..
    Their around everywhere. You need to look at the data sheets to get their reaction time , they are fast 5-10 ms. Thats what they do, Break or Make the circuit depending on the time delay you set.

http://www.airotronics.com/site/product-delaymake_TGC.php

https://www.google.com/search?q=cube+timer+delay&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&sclient=psy-ab&q=delay+break+timer++with+10+amp+relay&oq=delay+break+timer++with+10+amp+relay&gs_l=serp.3...5392.8002.6.8382.2.2.0.0.0.0.116.219.0j2.2.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.4LoCDkAAenQ&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=ee34110729c58d3c&bpcl=38626820&biw=1192&bih=621
  • ChrisOlson
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    For refrigerators, it is actually part of the design requirement that if they get a short power hit--The motor stalls on restart, kicks out the thermal protection device, cools (and pressure balances) and restarts in 5 minutes or so (after motor/motor starter) cool down.

It depends on locked rotor amps for refrigeration systems. If this transfer switch is being designed to be used with a generator eventually, even the smallest window AC units will kill a 4 kVA generator dead in its tracks with the compressor motor stalled. With grid power it will never be a problem. But with generator transfers the timing for restart of refrigeration compressors is pretty critical to not overloading your generator and kicking it offline.

If you have several refrigeration systems going (like 'fridge, freezer, AC/heat pump) and they all happen to be running at the same time when the transfer is made, the results can be disastrous for standby generators. With a very fast transfer (<16 ms) the compressor will more than likely stay running and only take an out-of-phase "hit". But I've seen Outback FX-series inverters (that have a pretty fast transfer time when switching to gen power) running a window AC unit that wipes the generator right out when the transfer is made. Then the Outback takes over and tries to restart it, the Outback kicks out due to overload, and everything goes dead. And that's with a fast <16 ms transfer.
    --
    Chris
  • inetdog
    Options
    ChrisOlson wrote: »
    And that's with a fast <16 ms transfer.
    --
    Chris

Since a 16 ms transfer is only one 60Hz cycle, chances are good that the compressor is still spinning, but that the out-of-phase current surge is what is killing the generator. Not sure how you could avoid that, other than by stopping and waiting.
  • Blackcherry04
    Options

It can become a pernicious cycle, as the generator gets out of range the inverter drops out to invert again over and over as it resets. without manual intervention you can soon lose it all, been there before. it's more trouble, but Automatic isn't always automatic. Thats why I started using the Time delays in most circuits that would cause a problem on dropout, haven't lost a piece of equipment since. I usually stage them at different time intervals.
  • BB.
    Options

I don't know how fast the rotor field decays in an induction motor--But the field is only present if there is a rotating field from the motor windings in the first place (the rotating field induces current in the rotor which creates is own N-S field--which is "dragged around" by the original rotating AC field coils). That slip (i.e., 1,800 RPM rotating field and ~1,725 RPM and variable based on load) is the "slip" that generates the induced field in the rotor.

Perhaps it is the field coil inductance that is the killing 1/2 cycle surge for the transfer between to out of phase AC supplies... :confused:

Certainly using the timer relays to add a 5-6-7 minute delay to stage power up for major appliances is a very good plan.

If the new fridge/AC heat pumps are PM motors with inverters--Then that would be different (and I would assume the "inverter" in the unit would help to limit surges and any phase hit effects).

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    I don't know how fast the rotor field decays in an induction motor

-Bill

You can't really know it either, because it depends on the particular motor and the application.
    Worst-case scenario: the motor has enough inertial mass to retain the magnetic field and operate momentarily as a generator, forcing power back against the inverter. Not a problem with grid power which has so much electrical inertia almost nothing can affect it, but an inverter might object to suddenly finding an out-of-phase AC input on its output if only for a moment.

Used to have trouble like this with 240 VAC motors being run through step-up transformers that weren't phase synchronized. Short power outage would cause back-feed through the transformer. Most of the time it didn't cause trouble, but some more sensitive things attached to the same wiring ...

On the whole, the 'blip' of out-of-phase power from switching from one source to another won't be noticed since it will be gone in one RPM. Compressors would be most likely to 'feel' it, but even they tend to have enough inertia to keep going. Biggest problem would be if a motor tried to start just at the switch-over. Highly unlikely.
  • BB.
    Options

Usually, an induction motor cannot drive power back into the elecrical system (say other loads on the branch circuit that lost power)--Unless there are a lot of capacitors to support the temporary current needed to keep the field windings active (excited). Then you could get a real phase hit on transfer.

This is why the recommend for not "correcting" the Power Factor of a motor much past 0.95 ... The closer you get to 1.00 (or even past and over correct), the more chance the motors will self excite and cause weired power flows on shut downs/power hits.

http://www.electrical-installation.org/enwiki/Power_factor_correction_of_induction_motors
    When a capacitor bank is connected to the terminals of an induction motor, it is important to check that the size of the bank is less than that at which self-excitation can occur When a motor is driving a high-inertia load, the motor will continue to rotate (unless deliberately braked) after the motor supply has been switched off.
    The “magnetic inertia” of the rotor circuit means that an emf will be generated in the stator windings for a short period after switching off, and would normally reduce to zero after 1 or 2 cycles, in the case of an uncompensated motor.
    Compensation capacitors however, constitute a 3-phase “wattless” load for this decaying emf, which causes capacitive currents to flow through the stator windings. These stator currents will produce a rotating magnetic field in the rotor which acts exactly along the same axis and in the same direction as that of the decaying magnetic field.
    The rotor flux consequently increases; the stator currents increase; and the voltage at the terminals of the motor increases; sometimes to dangerously-high levels. This phenomenon is known as self-excitation and is one reason why AC generators are not normally operated at leading power factors, i.e. there is a tendency to spontaneously (and uncontrollably) self excite.

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Or in simple words: the bigger the motor the bigger the potential for problems.
    (Not coincidentally larger motors are the ones that tend to have both start and run caps as they benefit the most.)
  • inetdog
    Options
    The “magnetic inertia” of the rotor circuit means that an emf will be generated in the stator windings for a short period after switching off, and would normally reduce to zero after 1 or 2 cycles, in the case of an uncompensated motor.

Which is why, if the transfer is significantly faster than one cycle but the new source is out of phase with the old source, that emf generated in the stator windings may assist rather than oppose the startup current surge, causing it to be even higher than the value during a cold start. IMHO.
    A fast transfer may cause very high current, while a transfer delay of more than two cycles will just see the normal starting surge, possibly made worse (in duration, not magnitude) by the additional loading from a static head on a compressor, etc.
  • ChrisOlson
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    Since a 16 ms transfer is only one 60Hz cycle, chances are good that the compressor is still spinning, but that the out-of-phase current surge is what is killing the generator. Not sure how you could avoid that, other than by stopping and waiting.

I know it's the out-of-phase relationship of the source and load when the transfer is made in an Outback that causes this. With Xantrex inverters you never see the problem because the inverter syncs with the generator before connecting it.

I just wanted to point it out because the transfer switch being designed here by the OP will probably work perfectly fine when transferring loads from the inverter to grid with a fast switching. But I had understood that the grid backup was only for testing, and temporary. I guess I maybe assumed that the transfer switch would eventually be used for a generator. And generators, because of their limitations, pose some different challenges for transfer switch design.

Quite interesting project. Not many folks build their own transfer switches ;)
    --
    Chris
  • fca1
    Options

hi there, i can't find a delayed relay with my specs 24v coil at least 16amps 230v and being sold on ebay or other online with acceptable shipping costs to europe :(

but now i'm thinking on how those work.... will they change from nc to no after x time of the coil being activated or will they disconnect one side wait x time and connect the other side ?

Because what i really need is a relay with "off" position.... because i may transfer between sources with both available only based on battery voltage...

i can find manual switches like this (its what i use now)
    Attachment not found.

is there any relay that behave like this manual switch ?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i don't suspect that you will have much luck in finding a relay such as that because energizing the relay activates one contact and without that power it uses gravity to go to the other contact. there isn't any in between. you may employ more relays to mimic such a thing, but i'm not sure what you'd have in mind electrically to determine on/off. of course if it is a manually done on/off anyway then the use of a manual switch in conjunction with a relay could offer that.
  • Ken Marsh
    Ken Marsh Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Interesting post to read the various biases.
    Kudos to BB. I agree, switch it as fast as you can.

Most residential motors are induction.
    When you loose power (their excitation) they switch into neutral.
    The same for the universal motor.
    Synchronous motors could be damaged but, except for clocks, we don't have any in residences.
    Clock motors have so much resistance built in that it doesn't make them any difference.
    They will re-sync within a cycle or two.

It is common to believe that computers are sensitive to power disturbances.
    Actually they are not.
    All they do is charge a cap off the line.
    A cycle can be missing, reversed or change frequency stepwise, it means nothing to a computer power supply.

Niel, The reason you don't find double throw high current contactors is that the high current makes high contact pressure mandatory.
    So in the inactivated position they need a big spring force to hold the contacts together to carry the current.
    This makes for unreasonable sized electromagnets to actuate.
    But there are latching relays. The newer Guardian and some Kohler transfer boxes use them.
    The latching relay has a further advantage for us solar enthusiasts that want to save power.
    They use power only for a split second when they change position.
    A one or two hundred amp contactor typically can draw 25 watts coil power.
    I have been looking to score a latching relay for my transfer switch. So far no luck.
    All my generator stuff is old junk.

The biggest problem I have had with contactors in transfer boxes is that they commonly pull in faster than they release.
    You can get a small time when they both are closed. This is enough to knock out the generator safety.
    At the moment I am using an old Kohler box that has mechanically interlinked contactors that can not both be engaged at the same time.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ken Marsh wrote: »
    Interesting post to read the various biases.
    Kudos to BB. I agree, switch it as fast as you can.

Most residential motors are induction.
    When you loose power (their excitation) they switch into neutral.
    The same for the universal motor.
    Synchronous motors could be damaged but, except for clocks, we don't have any in residences.
    Clock motors have so much resistance built in that it doesn't make them any difference.
    They will re-sync within a cycle or two.

It is common to believe that computers are sensitive to power disturbances.
    Actually they are not.
    All they do is charge a cap off the line.
    A cycle can be missing, reversed or change frequency stepwise, it means nothing to a computer power supply.

This has also been my experience over the decades. Including when the relays used in the "soft start" for my fridge and two freezers activate. They're DPDT relays that remove the compressor from the "soft start" after a timed delay to give the motors time to get up close to full speed and then reconnect them directly to the inverter output. So far, after 5 years, not a hitch. And there's been a lot of starts in that time. Theory doesn't always match reality.
  • ChrisOlson
    Options
    Theory doesn't always match reality.

Well, for a final time I'll offer my 2 cents on this. I guess I've gotten used to working with too much of the big stuff over the years. This is a video I took once of a pair of 1.25MW Cummins QSK50's with one generator accepting out-of-phase load 8 seconds after startup with a faulty switchgear putting the generator out of phase by only 20 degrees.

[video=youtube_share;R-h8uZnW66M]http://youtu.be/R-h8uZnW66M[/video]

You don't even want to know how many thousands of lb-ft of torque gets applied to the generator input shaft on a 900 rpm genset when this happens. Out-of-phase fast switching the other way can even spike the core in 480/277 utility transformers and cause a wide area power outage. When you're dealing with 14,000 surge amps from a pair of big gensets you can't make any mistakes because the damage can cost 10's of thousands. The experience with big stuff can often be applied to little stuff too, just that it don't cost as much when you wreck something.
    Because what i really need is a relay with "off" position....

What you need is called a TDN (Timed Delay Neutral) contactor. Every commercial automatic transfer switch built has it in the absence of a phase monitoring system. Manual transfer switches (like with interconnected breakers) are usually quite slow (>250 ms) compared to automatic switches. This gives time for transformers to spike down to load, inertial regenerative voltage time to decay, and motor starters to fall out so the built-in safety devices (like overload protectors) work. Unfortunately, for the fast switching advocates, I've been working with generators and automatic transfer switches most of my adult life - mostly on utility scale stuff. But the principles are the same. And the type I mentioned earlier as used in Outback FX-series inverters (fast <16 ms) are considered just plain bad design for inductive loads.
    --
    Chris
  • Ken Marsh
    Ken Marsh Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey Chris,
    Don't shoot, we're on your side.
    In a previous life I have had responsibility for large power houses.

I remember close to fifty years ago helping a guy with a private dam.
    He had a Francis wheel driving an 200Kw open frame generator.
    He sold electricity to the local utility for something like 0.7 cents/Kwh.
    That was big $ back then.
    Things were quite simple. They just connected it to the line with a switch.
    To sync in they would crack the gate to spin up the generator.
    They had a string of light bulbs in series across the switch contacts.
    As it approached synchronous speed the light bulbs would flash bright and dim out.
    You were supposed to close the switch when the bulbs were out.
    Well somebody got mixed up and the resulting surge knocked the generator windings off the pole pieces.

The point is that these are low impedance synchronous machines.
    Neglecting generators, where in today's residences do we have a synchronous motor?
    Everyone knows they better not try to connect their generator to the grid.
    The motors we do have (induction, universal, shaded pole) go into free wheeling when they loose their line connection.
    If the line is reapplied while they are still spinning-no problem.
    There is no more surge than when starting them across the line, usually less.

Now, before I get flamed about the above statement, some motors, particularly the universal
    will try to deliver its rotational kinetic energy into something when disconnected
    but still, not a problem restarting it without a synchronization stage.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ChrisOlson wrote: »
    I've been working with generators and automatic transfer switches most of my adult life - mostly on utility scale stuff. But the principles are the same.
    Chris

Totally agree, but with the relatively tiny household stuff I deal with, the torques and inertias involved are like a fly landing on the roof, compared to a crashing airliner, which is how we get away with a lot of the things we do. :D
    My neighbors with the machine shop however, have much larger motors and have had problems with initial inrush and blown breakers when they weren't being careful. I've witnessed some major, apparently instant rotational changes on some of their big motors, that must have put enormous stresses on the equipment. Scary indeed.
  • ChrisOlson
    Options

Indeed, working with the big stuff amplifies the problems. The big Cummins Quantum K's can deliver 2.5x their prime rating (slightly over 6,000 hp) for up to a half hour. In the old days we used to just throw the fuel at 'em and turn the sky black to get it. But then EPA came along and said you diesel guys are a lot easier to regulate than the coal powerplant guys, and we're looking for something to regulate. So only coal power plants can smoke. No more smoke from diesels because we said so. So in engineering it was like, "Hey boys, we's bein' regulated - cut the top end fuel rate back a little bit on them G-drive engines!"

In the old days of Big Smoke we could do 'er with one genset. But after the EPA No Smoke Directive we had to start using dual sets and cut the top end back on 'em.

Still, in smaller residential applications the things I've seen that can cause problems are things like well pumps, bench grinders, ceiling fans and refrigeration systems. No, the fan motor in your microwave, or your washing machine motor probably won't care.
    --
    Chris