Help connecting two 4/0 cables with lugs

Options
balee123
balee123 Solar Expert Posts: 86 ✭✭
Hello,

Need some help/advice finding something.

In the picture shown in the following link, it would be similar to the connector for the two large black cables.

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?6918-Wiring-schematic-for-battery-charger/page2

I am looking for something similar to connect two 4/0 cables together that have lugs on the ends. Ideally, it would be nice if this connection can be enclosed and not too big (i.e. more like a continuation of the wire, instead of a large junction box). Do connectors like this exist?

I guess I'm looking for a 4/0 cable splice kit if they exist. But I don't want to have to cut off the lugs.

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Help connecting two 4/0 cables with lugs

Bolt, nut, 2 flat washers, 1 Lock washer and a Piece of heat shrink tube. Most Electrical Supply's would have the Heat Shrink . Home Depot might Any Battery Supply. The bolt needs to be short enough there is not a lot sticking out, say maybe 5/8 or 3/4 inch long.

Online, here's where I buy most of my needs.

http://shop.genuinedealz.com/Marine%20Electrical%20Supply/Heat%20Shrink%20Tubing/
  • balee123
    balee123 Solar Expert Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the idea. Will try soon.
  • firerescue712
    firerescue712 Solar Expert Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Options

Google search 4/0 butt connectors. There are many places that sell these. You need a good crimper for the heavy wire.
  • H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Options

I use 4/0 wire on some of the batteries and the ends have 3/8" ring terminals. (NAWS has the ends) I use a 3/8" stainless steel bolt that is 3/4" long, 2 of the 3/8" stainless steel washers, stainless steel 3/8" lock washer, and a 3/8-16 stainless steel nut. Tighten it down and break out the electrical tape because it will be fairly large in diameter when done. Works great for me, just keep an eye on the tape if it will be subjected to H2SO4 as it will eat it up and could cause in interesting short. You could find out how much potential your battery pack has! DC arc welding - RE style.

Skip
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014.