What is the best small gas frig.

Options
solorone
solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
I had an old customer call the other day, needing power and frig for hunting camp, this is not a passing thought, he will do this, after I talked him into a gas frig, I thought I might ask what brand is currently best rated by members here. personally I use Crystal cold, Amish made, but they are very large, I am talking of the 7 to 8 CF units. I have had 2 of these over the last 30 years, with mixed results.

This will be a small 24V lighting only setup
Thanks.

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: What is the best small gas frig.

I have had very good luck with Dometics over the years. Most, but not all, require 12 vdc for the control boards. We have one that has been coninutelaly fired for 22 years, save for a month when it needed a tstat.

You can also find them used in Rv wrecking yards pretty cheap if you look for them.

That said, the financial equation of a lp fridge changes as it gets used more. For part time, a LP fridge wins hands down,, as it nears full time, a conventional begins to win. They are becoming very efficient, and are much cheaper. There are some issues with lp fridges, like needing to clean the burners once in a while, an they need to be run level.

Tony
  • solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Tony, I started out with a dometic in 83, know I put one new back on it, worked well but the finish would pucker up and rust. I will pass on the salvage aspect. IO was just making sure there was nothing new and extra good available, I am hooked on Crystal colds, huge stainless, no 12v required, makes 6 to 7 pounds of ice a day, very important here in the south. ;<) I can understand in a new setup and good solar site the newer efficient AC frigs, that would be nice.
  • Volvo Farmer
    Volvo Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

We have had a Danby 7.8 CF for the last six years. Got to defrost it once in a while and it will make copious amounts of CO if the burner gets dirty. Otherwise it's been 100% reliable and no 12V needed.