Which Inverter for a 30 KW wind sun system?

yrtrnc
yrtrnc Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭
Hi everyone,

Can you recommend a good inverter that will work with 20 kw sun power and 10 kw wind power and will auto start my generator when there is a power shortage?

Also, it has to be three phase, any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Which Inverter for a 30 KW wind sun system?

Because it's going to be asked anyway ...

You've got 20kW of solar and 10kW of wind and no inverter?
    This sounds a bit backward in the design process. Especially if you've already got a generator.
    What exactly is going on here?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Note the poster is out of Germany (I think), so the solution would probably be better with European voltage/frequency/equipment/support.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • yrtrnc

This sounds a bit backward in the design process. Especially if you've already got a generator.

Yeah, sorry. Forgot to mention that we already have a 10 KW solar sytem installed with a 3-phase inverter. We are looking to get 10KW more solar panels and 10 KW wind as our power needs are increasing soon. Our inerter is not vey efficient and we want to get rid of that and replace it with a 30 KW 3 phase inverter. What do you think is the best out there for our case?

Thanks
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

You will need a separate inverter for wind and solar. For 20kW solar the sunny tripowers TL inverters have 98% efficiency, don't think you'll beat that: http://www.sma.de/en/products/solar-inverter-without-transformer/sunny-tripower-15000tl-20000tl-economic-excellence.html#Technical-Data-8585

If you want to keep the system all SMA then you could use 3 x windy boy 3000TL for the turbine. Have also heard that the aurora powerone is supposed to be good for wind, they have a single 10kW 3-phase inverter: http://www.power-one.com/renewable-energy/products/wind/aurora-wind/sswi-100-i-outd-w/series
    I think it's more complex finding the right inverter for turbine as the startup voltage of the turbine would have an influence. The aurora's have a lower startup V than the windyboys.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

This is a grid-tie system, yes?
    In that case the inverter is not what will be starting the generator. You'd use an automatic transfer switch to do that (detects grid failure, starts gen to provide power to critical loads). And before we start the issue again, no you can not use the GT system with the grid down (not even with the gen running); it is not practical.

With the SMA equipment mentioned by Stephen it is possible to use their GT inverters with the grid down providing you have their Sunny Island system as well.

Definitely use separate GT inverters when wind and solar are used together.
  • vibeline
    vibeline Registered Users Posts: 24 ✭✭

You crack me up sometimes coot, lol

• yrtrnc

Hi Thanks for the input.

This is an off grid system.