A Generac Ecogen 6kW in the Suburbs: A Look and Listen

I posted this vid for interest as I've been asked how loud the unit is. Really it's a bit louder than a gas mower but not by much. The camera is just a small Nikon S8000 and I didn't have to raise my voice while filming next to it. Anyway, cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgji4MiZV6U

Comments

• TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭
    Re: A Generac Ecogen 6kW in the Suburbs: A Look and Listen

Thanks for the post! I've been wondering that question myself!
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

T C,

Thanks for the post. It does seem quiet.

There has been some buzz on another Forum about the difficulty in getting this unit upgraded to 240 VAC, with a well-regulated AC voltage output.

IIRC, this genset retains its warranty coverage for off-grid use. Believe that you may have grid at your location (?) -- your title DOES say Suburbs.

Thanks, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Trickle Charge
    Trickle Charge Solar Expert Posts: 28
    Vic wrote: »
    T C,

Thanks for the post. It does seem quiet.

There has been some buzz on another Forum about the difficulty in getting this unit upgraded to 240 VAC, with a well-regulated AC voltage output.

IIRC, this genset retains its warranty coverage for off-grid use. Believe that you may have grid at your location (?) -- your title DOES say Suburbs.

Thanks, Vic

Hi Vic,

I'm waiting for the 240 VAC kit and I'm aware of the previous issue with voltage regulation but I'd also was under the assumption that they'd addressed the issue, but I guess I'll find out. The out put is 120V to the inverter, which is fine since it splits the phase for two legs out to my breaker panel but the 4024PAE is better suited to 240V so I will make the change. It's currently a battery backup system but I've recently expanded the solar system and battery bank to the point that I'm going to pull the utility meter and run off-grid once the 240V kit is in the Ecogen. Then it's "Root Hog or Die!" lol
  • Trickle Charge

The 240V kit went in without a problem and I've had a reliable 240V/60 Hz from the ecogen for 30 plus runtime hours. I'm having to run the genset every 3 or 4 days for 2 hour to keep above the low battery generator run setting of 23VDC. I have had a couple of "inspect battery" messages from the ecogen control panel so I'm putting a solar battery tender on it.

Cheers
  • ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭

I assume you didn't hook up 120V power to the battery tender then? That's what I eventually did with ours too was put a small solar panel on it.
    --
    Chris
  • Trickle Charge

I've got a 120V battery tender hooked up for now but I'm expecting a solar unit to be delivered any day now. I don't think the installer pulled enough wires to do the auto start and the 120V charging. He won't admit it either. lol

The Ecogen has an alternator but it doesn't seem to keep up with the demand even though I run it for 2 hours. I'd expect the battery to be charged up after 15 mins, like a car alternator/battery, but with the ecogen if I run it for 2 hours every three or four days the control panel warns me to "inspect the battery" after the third or fourth running.

Cheers
  • ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭

That was one of the flaws for an off-grid generator in the EcoGen design. I never understood that but it's what they did. They should've incorporated a solar panel on it in the first place instead of running 120V back to it to maintain the battery.

Ours would go dead after only 14 days if it hadn't been running, without the solar panel on it. Once I put the panel on it, the battery was fine.

Our new Honda generator draws zero power from the starting battery when it's in standby. But it's not a two-wire start generator with a bunch of electronics in it to keep alive 24/7. The price of LP gas ended up being the deciding factor for us to get rid of the EcoGen. We ran it until we used all the gas up in our 500 gallon LP tank. Then put in the new Honda and I sold the EcoGen and tank to a guy that's now using it for a battery based inverter system being used on a grid-tie/battery backup system, which it is better suited to than true off-grid.
    --
    Chris
  • Trickle Charge

Well the ecogen is quiet in comparison to most units and that's a big concern for me, being on a city lot sized 50'x100'.
    Tech support told me there's an alternator output at T1 but for now I'm going to see how a solar or 120V tender keeps things going.

Cheers
  • Trickle Charge

I've been running the Ecogen three days a week for 2 to 3.5 hours each time. This goes through a bulk charge through to an absorb charge but only a few times have I seem a float charge. I've had the odd "Check Battery" message from its control panel and have had to put a tender on it when that happens but it's been weeks of use without issue.
  • Trickle Charge

The Ecogen sat there from the beginning of March to the end of Oct while we relied on solar for 100% of our electricity. I've got the usage down to 2.4-3.3 kWh/day but now I'm having to supplement the solar production with the ecogen. It now has 120V to the T1 terminal to provide power to the smart charger and frankly, it's better than the tender. I don't find the draw to be a measureable issue either.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    The Ecogen sat there from the beginning of March to the end of Oct while we relied on solar for 100% of our electricity. I've got the usage down to 2.4-3.3 kWh/day but now I'm having to supplement the solar production with the ecogen. It now has 120V to the T1 terminal to provide power to the smart charger and frankly, it's better than the tender. I don't find the draw to be a measureable issue either.

I have a bigger 10kW Generac Guardian. It's been sitting quiet all summer, but not any more. Today, at 3:25pm it said "The day is over, but your solar panels didn't capture enough energy, so it is my turn now." About every other day, and it'll only get worse in a month. Days are getting shorter, and, in cold weather, our daily consumption approaches 15kWh/day.
  • Trickle Charge

Yeah I'm on the 49th parallel and I'm averaging 1 kWh/day from the PV array so far this month but last Dec my average was only 0.5 kWh/day. And having a 100 AH limit to charging means running the ecogen for at least 2 hours every other day.