Magnum Auto Start Module owners... can you explain?

Options
alyaz
alyaz Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭
I now have a Magnum BMK (battery monitor kit) installed with a Magnum PAE4024 inverter, a Magnum Auto Start module and a Magnum ARC50 remote. The BMK has established an SOC after a couple days of monitoring the battery system...

Anyway, trying to understand how to set up the ARC50 remote to start and stop the gen based on SOC. I can understand setting the start gen SOC parameter at about 55% and the stop gen SOC parameter at about 95%. However, what the heck do you program the 'absorb done' parameter to? To me, it seems that this absorb done parameter, when using SOC to start and stop the gen, is redundant? The absorb done parameter makes sense to me when I was using voltage to start and the float voltage to stop the gen because the battery manufacturer suggested that the batteries should be in absorb mode for 2.5 to 3 hours. But when using SOC parameters, the BMK would or should know when the absorb mode has reached 95% - the stop gen parameter.

It was explained to me (unsuccessfully) that the absorb done parameter is set should the generator start for a reason other than SOC. . ???

Any insight would be appreciated, especially what I should set the 'absorb done' SOC parameter for when starting SOC is 55% and stopping SOC is 95%... or should I just leave the 'absorb done' parameter at 2.5 - 3 hours?
3.3 kW solar.  3 Midnite Solar controllers; 5 lightening suppressors.  Magnum’s inverter; auto gen start, BMK.  Davidson 2 v FLA’s - 24v bank.  Perkins diesel gen.

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Magnum Auto Start Module owners... can you explain?
    alyaz wrote: »
    I now have a Magnum BMK (battery monitor kit) installed with a Magnum PAE4024 inverter, a Magnum Auto Start module and a Magnum ARC50 remote. The BMK has established an SOC after a couple days of monitoring the battery system...

Anyway, trying to understand how to set up the ARC50 remote to start and stop the gen based on SOC. I can understand setting the start gen SOC parameter at about 55% and the stop gen SOC parameter at about 95%. However, what the heck do you program the 'absorb done' parameter to? To me, it seems that this absorb done parameter, when using SOC to start and stop the gen, is redundant? The absorb done parameter makes sense to me when I was using voltage to start and stop the gen because the battery manufacturer suggested that the batteries should be in absorb mode for 2.5 to 3 hours. But when using SOC parameters, the BMK would or should know when the absorb mode has reached 95% - the stop gen parametr. It was explained to me (unsuccessfully) that the absorb done parameter is set should the generator start for a reason other than SOC. . ???

Any insight would be appreciated.

It may not apply to your installation, but in some cases there can be loads which are beyond the continuous running capability of the inverter. If that happens, one of several things will be seen:
    1. The voltage drops below some programmed level even though the battery SOC is still high, or
    2. The inverter signals that the load is beyond its capability and it needs help, or
    3. Somebody manually starts the generator or manually triggers the remote start, knowing that they want to run a heavy load, but they then return the switch so that the generator can turn off on its own.

In any of these cases, it makes sense to keep the generator running beyond the time the load is on, to do some bulk charging or start the absorb charging stage of the CC.

My guess is that the Absorb Done parameter comes into play in these situations. But I would try to get a better explanation from the person who tried to explain it to you earlier, based on this new information.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.