Money and No Brains

Options
2»

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Money and No Brains

stephendv and I are on similar pages, altho on some of the fine details, I do wax and wane.

Some do note that FLA batts should be cycled to 90% SOC as a minimum per charge cycle (ie, cycling to 80% would be better). The way I read Surrette's info (and from some conversations with Surrette tech), believe that they are saying that their Solar batts should really by cycled to abut 50% SOC per cycle, "Surrete batteries are meant to be worked" or similar.

The PV array on the oldest system here represents about 4% of 20 Hr capacity. Agree that on larger batt banks, really, 100 hr capacity is probably more meaningful, as the 100 hr rate on this bank is 19 amps, which represents a fairly large load over 100 hrs. Although, this might make some feel that at 10% minimum recharge capability, one would need 190 amp charger.

This bank with this anemic PV array seems to be doing fine after 7 years in service ... knock, knock. One must be careful to not discharge the bank too deeply, or at least monitor the bank carefully, and be ready to use generator power to recharge when needed.

It might be difficult for the OP's 3Kw genset to get to EQ in a mature Forklift bank of the size noted, or at least it might be a slow grind. Doing an an EQ at the end of Absorb is easier, as one does not need to recharge back to the Absorbtion setpoint.

Personally, believe that the OP's large bank should do fine if attention is paid to monitoring SGs regularly, EQing when needed, and monitoring water levels.

Even Hup has moderated its previous dictum of mandatory 10% of capacity from PV input. In the past year, they have begun stating that a minimum of 10% recharge capability form the sum of all charge sources (or similar).

Busy households with teens, and the person responsibility for managing the Power System absent, DO need much more PV recharge capability, and perhaps AGS on a capable genset. Things can get out of hand when that person is not always present to monitor and correct undercharging etc. OH and stephendv, there may be a typo in your calcs of power needed to recharge from 50% DOD, or mabe it is just my tired eyes/brain. Just opinions, Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Jungle Jim
    Jungle Jim Registered Users Posts: 10
    Options
    fowlerrudi wrote: »
    I also have a 7.5 KW diesel genset, but it's ugly and old.

What is your aversion to using this genset? If it is a 240V unit you should be able to bring “Bertha” back in line in short order.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options

Issues with stratification could be helped with an air pump & bubbling the electrolyte, so EQ isn't the only way to correct that.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

Member "John P" actually did a test on pumping air to mix/agitate electrolyte in storage batteries. The setup and test results are in this thread:

Air pumps for better battery charging

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Options

I believe that straitification is a non-issue, at least in some tall Surrettes here. An Absorption charge at any reasonable voltage seems to do the trick in a few minutes. It is difficult to actually measure. Added some water the main bank here the other day. Was only about 10 Fl oz per cell. The batteries were in Float. Did a 20 minute Absorb at 59 volts, and seemed that all of the added water was mixed, and SGs were normal.

This is not an exhaustive test. Each cell is about 22.5"H X 7" X 10". So a tall cell. I could unserstand some stratification is the battery only was recharged once per week of so.

Thanks Wayne for posting Surrette Bulletin 614. This Bulletin changed three times IIRC. The first rendition that I saw recommended not recharging the battery bank until it reached 50% SOC (or every 30 days at a minimum), and then charging at 10% of 20 hour capacity, IIRC. Was told that this was a contraversial document within Surrette Engineeding. Some of the context was that batteries that were habitually lightly cycled and charged at low rates, would have charge acceptance issues after some time. This regime would save fuel, improve capacity over time, and increase charge acceptance, especially on systems with anemic PV input (which was the norm in years past).

Believe that the reconstructed Surrette site is a bit more useful than it had been, although, some of these bulletins were useful, if one could find the correct one.

FWIW, the batteries in use here have more than 40% difference in rated capacity between 100hr and 20 hr rates ... And so on, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • fowlerrudi
    fowlerrudi Solar Expert Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Options

Hey folks, I appreciate all the hard work that was put into this post of mine. I have been busy working away with this system as well as other things. We have the system all up and running. We have 15 230w panels hooked up and running, and the battery really never gets discharged since we aren't living at the house yet. It does get used when working on the house though. My rack will hold 30 panels and I only have 20 at this time. The reason we are using only 15 right now is because they are all in series and we have to keep the voltage below 550v. I think I will add a second charge controller and also fill my rack with a total of 30 panels, for a total of 6900 watts. I think this will be a better balance of battery to panel. Lots of learning yet to do! I did pick up a transformer so I can charge with my 3000EU.
  • fowlerrudi
    Options

Just an update - I have been using the system for about a month or 2 now. It has been charged back up to full every single day so far. I added some distilled water to it since, it took about 4L for the entire bank. I really haven't worked it that hard yet to be honest. Have seen it go down to 49.5V. I do not yet have a battery monitor but did test the SG tonight. They were off of each other so I did an EQ. The charge controller is only set to do it an hour at a time. One hour didn't change much - I checked 2 hrs after dark with no load on battery. I think with the forklift batteries - especially ones of this size - I need to give it a few more hours at the EQ voltage of 60V. These are DEKA D-Series batteries - I managed to get a manual for them. I have an email out to xtrapowerbatteries.com to see what they recommend for EQ times. Looking forward to really giving these batteries a workout soon. Hope to be able to post a few pics soon.
  • Vic
    Options

Hi fowlerrudi,

Couple of things. This IS a farily large battery bank. It will need a medium-sized genset for recharging in Winter months.

EQ is best done manually, with a human monitoring the process, IMHO. Normally the Hydrometer is a great tool to measure how the EQ is progressing.

Most Forklift batteries have high SG electrolyte. I would be astonished if 60 V was high enough to really do much EQing at all.

I did poke around on the Net looking for charger settings for your type battery, but cound find none. Many of these fork lift batteries need a fairly high Absorption V setting.

It IS good that you have needed to add some water in a couple of months of use. Will go back are re-read this Thread to get back in sync. Vic
  • fowlerrudi
    Options

My SG readings are off of each other - I have done a 1 hr EQ, it only used about 1000 watts of power from the solar - even though more was available. I EQed at 60V and they bubbled a lot, it sounded like they wanted to erupt! I guess this is normal. The 1 hr didn't do a whole lot to the SQ readings. I'm thinking I need to let them EQ for 3 hrs at least. Check out cell #4, I am concerned about this one - but it is under warranty - speaking with the dealer I bought it from now. My charge is in float at 9am everyday since I am not using the system for much at all - just power tools. I did draw it down to 50V a few times.

Questions: Should it be using more than 1000 watts to EQ? The Xantrex 80A Charge controller only allows me to EQ for an hr at a time and doesn't seem to allow me to change the current.

1- 1.260
    2- 1.280
    3- 1.300
    4- 1.175
    5- 1.300
    6- 1.305
    7- 1.260
    8- 1.290
    9- 1.275
    10- 1.300
    11- 1.275
    12- 1.290
    13- 1.250
    14- 1.290
    15- 1.260
    16- 1.275
    17- 1.280
    18- 1.225
    19- 1.275
    20- 1.295
    21- 1.255
    22- 1.300
    23- 1.280
    24- 1.300
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

The Watts is irrelevant to EQ. It is a higher than normal Voltage after full charge which tries to force low cells up. For a 48 Volt system EQ Voltage is usually 62 Volts.
    If the first hour does something but not enough, try again. When you stop seeing improvement it's time to stop EQ'ing as you'll actually start hurting the batteries with too much time at high Voltage.
  • fowlerrudi
    Options

Ok cool, I'll give it another EQ tomorrow afternoon - I am learning that Sun in Nov. is scarce! I heard that EQing can raise battery temps, so I assumed that to generate that kind of heat would require a few watts.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Ok cool, I'll give it another EQ tomorrow afternoon - I am learning that Sun in Nov. is scarce! I heard that EQing can raise battery temps, so I assumed that to generate that kind of heat would require a few watts.

It's the high V + time that makes them warm. Which is why I recommend doing it for only an hour at a time.
  • BB.
    Options

Number 4 definitely looks like it is having problems.... The maximum EQ current is probably around 5% of the battery rating (higher than that, you may start overheating the cells/bubbling too much). If you are not seeing any of the cells rising after an hour of good bubbling (especially #4)--Then probably stop and save your fuel and battery stress.

If you want to try more current, you can go upwards of 62-63 volts (with nominal 77F battery temperature) and see if that increases current (it should).

Nominally, you should see no more than 0.015 to 0.030 variation between high and low cells (several vendors recommend that exceeding those levels, you should equalize).

See what the vendor will do with #4.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • fowlerrudi
    Options

I'm going to turn my EQ voltage up past 60V I think. I will give Deka a buzz tomorrow and ask them what they think too.
  • fowlerrudi
    Options

I just got off the phone with deka. They recommended the following for my d-series deka forklift battery:

Bulk: 59.4 v
    Absorb: 58.2 v
    Float: 54 v
    Equalize: 63 v
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just got off the phone with deka. They recommended the following for my d-series deka forklift battery:

Bulk: 59.4 v
    Absorb: 58.2 v
    Float: 54 v
    Equalize: 63 v

Does your Xantrex charger allow you to set charging parameters with a different value for bulk and absorb? Most RE equipment does not support that type of charging profile. read: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?14738

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • fowlerrudi
    Options

Yep I can set bulk and absorb separately.
  • BB.
    Options

I would certainly think about upping the absorb voltage a bit if the batteries are still not fully charging (close to bulk)... With solar you only have a limited amount of time for sun--You cannot let the battery sit for 6+ hours to absorb at a lower voltage--especially during winter and heavy power usage.

-Bill
  • Vic
    Options

Agree with BB Bill about raising the Absorption V setting for Winter season -- this will allow more chaging to occur in the short Solar days.

You have NOTHING to loose by EQing the snot out of the batteries. With the huge variations in SG, you need to get the average SOC of the bank UP. Just monitor the electrolyte temps. With such a wide variation in SGs, the temperature differential twix individual cells may well be greater than for a bank with a tighter SG range. If you have a glass thermometer that can be be immersed into each cell to monitor temps, this chould help.

Forklift batteries are very tough. And, you might want to review charging/EQing strategies with the folks that sold this bank to you. But, time is wasting, allowing low SG cells to remain low for an extended time is not good, IMHO. Good Luck, Vic
  • fowlerrudi
    Options

I have EQed twice in the past 2 weeks for 2-3 hrs each time. The SG came up on that cell - but not all the way yet. Perhaps I will continue EQing?
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

As long as it's improving there's hope! :D