Whole house system including 200 " well

dredge
dredge Registered Users Posts: 2
How far from my 200' well can my house be .Need to keep stock water flowing in N. Idaho winter temps, reconmedations on well pumps. Turning a hay field into a livable abode with undergroud house and barn seeking all the info and help I can get . Best water storage tanks ? I travel a lot so I need to know animals are getting watered for 3 or 4 days at a time, I know I don't even know the right questions to ask yet so feel free fill in the blanks Thanks Steve

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Re: Whole house system including 200 " well

Can you bury the water pipes below the frost line? Or will you/can you make a drain back system (drain the water from the lines before they freeze)?

Also, how many GPH / gallons per day do you need, by season?

Will this be an off grid home? Are you looking more for emergency/backup power? Or just to save money?

There are a lot of options out there for well pumping and off grid well power. A little more information would be helpful (as well as how much power your home overall would use per day/by season, etc.).

Hopefully, you will get some answers from folks that know more than I (near San Francisco--We get "snow" every 10-20 years here).

-Bill "on city water" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dredge
    dredge Registered Users Posts: 2

bury everthing including the house and stock supply tank wood heat and gas cooking
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    dredge wrote: »
    bury everthing including the house and stock supply tank wood heat and gas cooking

"Dredge", have you read and understood the questions posted by BB ?
    You're asking questions, but giving us little or nothing to work - - - - -
  • Organic Farmer
    Organic Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 128 ✭✭

The climate of N. Idaho is not too much different from N. Maine.

Since you are already looking at / thinking about underground; then consider this. If you opened a trench, on a slope, leading directly into the slope, wide enough and long enough to fit a 40' shipping container. Top it with pressure-treated 6X8s and tar-paper for additional support before burying it. With a slight grade to allow any spilled liquids to gravity flow out. You have effectively made a root-cellar / underground livestock pen that is below the frost-line. A 500-gallon closed tank [as a cistern for your home] and a 200-gallon stock tank could sit in there and would not freeze. A small DC well pump that only provides 1 gallon/hour would be sufficient to keep both tanks topped off.

I am on flatland and my water table is high. So I can not dig down. The crawl space under my house punctured an aquifer, just to show how high the water here is.

There are benefits to going underground, I wish I could do that. :)