OB Mate (s)

Options
photon_trap
photon_trap Registered Users Posts: 23 ✭✭
Hi - can someone briefly explain the difference between the Outback Mate, Mate2 and Mate3?
I have searched and not yet found a concise answer. what are the extra bells and whistles of each?
Also, would the Flexnet monitor be a redundancy?

My system will be pretty simple:
four 395 ah FLA @ 24v
four 226w panels
one FM60
one FX2524T (or GTfx2524 researching...)
one eu200i

Thanks

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: OB Mate (s)

The MATE and MATE II are functionally identical for the most part. The first one is in a white oval case and was originally designed for home-install systems. The second one is a black square case and was originally designed for mobile systems. They are pretty much interchangeable.

The MATE III is the newest model, and it is designed to work with the new Radian inverters. I have not yet seen one. I believe it is functionally capable of working with the older systems but the older MATEs can not work the Radian.

You need a MATE (of some model) to program an Outback inverter. Don't let anyone tell you it's unnecessary and you can use the factory default settings. You'll be unhappy with them.

The Flexnet is not redundant to the MATE. It adds a very useful battery SOC monitoring system which can measure current going in and out of the battery separately. It allows you to see total input current from multiple sources and how much the inverter(s) are consuming and can control the charge sources as one. An excellent item especially if you have multiple Outback components. For a single charge controller & one inverter it may be a bit of unnecessary expense.

Regarding the GTFX2524, this is a grid tie inverter. Don't buy it unless you can actually make use of the GT function. For strictly off-grid it's not a good choice.
  • photon_trap
    Options

Regarding the GTFX2524, this is a grid tie inverter. Don't buy it unless you can actually make use of the GT function. For strictly off-grid it's not a good choice.

Thanks for the explination - My system will have grid power available for additional charging power (along with eu200i) if and when it is needed. Since I have no expectation of selling back power to my utility company (as if) I am unsure if I should go with the GTFX2524 model or the FX2524T. Any suggestions?

thx
    J
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Thanks for the explination - My system will have grid power available for additional charging power (along with eu200i) if and when it is needed. Since I have no expectation of selling back power to my utility company (as if) I am unsure if I should go with the GTFX2524 model or the FX2524T. Any suggestions?

thx
    J

Without the ability to sell back there's no need for the GT function. Just treat the utility power as a 'generator'; connect to AC IN on an FX and it will automatically switch loads over to that source and go in to battery charging mode.
  • photon_trap
    Options

So when it senses AC input (grid or gen) it automatically goes into charge mode?
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    So when it senses AC input (grid or gen) it automatically goes into charge mode?

Yep. You never even notice on the loads; it just takes over. :D
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you go this route you should realize that you may not be able to use your solar power except when the grid is down. When the fx2524 is in charger mode the inverter is off and your loads are powered by the grid.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    If you go this route you should realize that you may not be able to use your solar power except when the grid is down. When the fx2524 is in charger mode the inverter is off and your loads are powered by the grid.

--vtMaps

Actually it is possible to use the autogen start function to control a relay that will connect the AC IN to utility power only when needed. But it's more complex of course.
  • photon_trap
    Options

that dosn't sound that difficult, can you suggest a specific relay?
  • photon_trap
    Options

or... could I not just put breakers inline with grid pwr and Gen and operate them manually?
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

If I were you I'd start out with one AC line dedicated to the inverter and leave the breaker off unless needed. Then you can evaluate whether or not you need the ease of automatic switch-over or if you only need to flip the breaker on once in a while. The inverter will also shut down if the battery Voltage goes too low (I recommend programming it for the nominal system Voltage so you know the batteries aren't too discharged).

Otherwise you need to size the relay to handle the current. I believe it's 30 Amps max @ 120 VAC. The wiring gets a bit complex, though, depending on exactly how you want it to function.
  • unicornio
    unicornio Solar Expert Posts: 217 ✭✭
    Options
    Hi - can someone briefly explain the difference between the Outback Mate, Mate2 and Mate3?
    I have searched and not yet found a concise answer. what are the extra bells and whistles of each?
    Also, would the Flexnet monitor be a redundancy?

Hi, photon-trap,

the mate3 is far superior in performance to MATE2, if you have no mate yet, I'd recommend the mate3, even know that is more priced... the new mate3 is the outback device that has broken boundaries in integration, configuration, database and communications for all outback systems (grid-tie, off-grid and radian) being from my point of view there is the most advanced in the industry ...

you can see a mate3 in action here:monitor solar mate3 online

as some have said, the FLEXnet DC and the mate3 are not redundancies, but that mate3 will help you visualize so much more of the FLEXnet dc information ...
  • sawmill
    sawmill Solar Expert Posts: 93 ✭✭✭
    Options

Since you will be using Outback equipment the HBX function might be suited to your situation. As others have stated the switching between inverter and grid is seamless. The battery voltage set points can be adjusted to whatever fits best. Once the inverter switches to the grid it can be programmed to begin charging (or not at all) at whatever level you want up to the maximum output of the inverter.