Need advice/Help on a simple setup...2x235w 24v, 2x12v, Xantrex C60, Aims 5000W

Everlong
Everlong Solar Expert Posts: 36 ✭✭
Hello Guys, just started my solar project(i have always wanted to do this) and need some advice on how to hook up everything and how to protect it from faults.
I have two Sharp 235w panels at24v. I had them professionaly installed on the roof and also the person that did this install ran all the wiring to the house. I will be doing the rest.

I am planning on purchasing Xantrex C60 (thinking about expanding in the near future) and also Aims 5000W inverter(my load will be around 1000w +- but would like to purchase what i can afford now and not deal with inverter not having enough capacity later).

My load will consist mainly of Par20 LED ligting outside of the house (6 bulbs), probably about 200-300 small led lights around the house during the xmas and new years time.
Idealy i would love to hookup some kitchen lighting to it as well, and maybe an outlet where my 50" plasma is. The items that are on most of the time.

For now i will be using only two 12v batteries connected in series (•900 marine cranking amps, 205 minute reserve capacity,115 amp hours)

1. How should i and where install fuses? What rating should they be?

2. The wire that will be running between batteries will be a 0 gauge plus to the charge controller. Can i run a thinner wire from + and - of the battery bank to the controller and only run 0 gauge between the two and into the inverter?

3. C60 has a load dump mode. Would it make sense with such a small battery bank, to hook up a grid tie to the dump mode outlet so the extra power goes into the grid?

Thanks in advance.
Daniel.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Need advice/Help on a simple setup...2x235w 24v, 2x12v, Xantrex C60, Aims 5000W

Welcome to the forum, Daniel.

Now stop before you spend another dime. You're going about it the wrong way 'round.

What you've got: two 235 Watt panels for a total of 470 Watts. These Sharp 235 have a Vmp of 30 Volts if I recall correctly. That will not charge a 24 Volt system unless you put them both in series and use an MPPT style charge controller, which the C60 is not.

The AIMS inverters are in my opinion badly designed and not worth spending any money on.

The marine/RV batteries aren't really suited to RE applications and will soon disappoint you.

You can not use the "dump mode" function of a C60 to power a grid tie inverter. This is designed to be used with wind turbines to 'bleed off' power they produce to an 'opportunity load' once the batteries are full. GT installs have to be done with the co-operation of the utility and local authorities. The systems are quite different to off grid in respect to their wiring and function.

Back to what you've got; the two panels.
    With an MPPT controller (necessary with those panels) you could expect enough charge current to support about 300 Amp hours @ 12 Volts or 150 @ 24. You could expect them to yield just under 1kW hour on the AC out of an inverter per day. That will also depend on how much power the inverter itself consumes.

Given the nature of the panels and their output potential, what you need is a Rogue MPPT 3024 - which has unfortunately been temporarily discontinued. Otherwise your up against spending a lot of money for a "full size" controller: one side or the other of $500. With it you could charge a 12 or 24 Volt bank comprised of golf cart batteries. Were it me I'd go with 12 Volt and have some extra current to spare.

It is unlikely you will need 0 AWG between the batteries and the controller as your peak current will only be around 30 (for 12 Volt) or 15 (for 24). Most controllers accept up to 6 AWG and that should be fine (keep lower Voltage DC runs short). It should be fused according to the current potential of the controller used.

You can do quite a lot with 1kW hour per day. And there are several good small 12 Volt inverters which could power your lighting easily. The plasma 50" not so much so.
  • Everlong
    Re: Need advice/Help on a simple setup...2x235w 24v, 2x12v, Xantrex C60, Aims 5000W

Nice,
    Ok, lets forget the Aims (Thanks for advice!) , and the idea of running marine batteries.

I still don't understand why these sharp panels should be in series, did you mean series, or parallel? Two of these in series would be close to 60v?

The person who installed these ran 4 solar wires from the panels along with a ground wire. He said that there will be less loss if it is done this way....
  • Cariboocoot

If you want to charge a 24 Volt battery you need more than the 30 Volts these panels put out at maximum power. You need about 35. So you put them in series and use the MPPT type controller to "down-convert" the now 60 Volt panel string to proper charging Voltage. It will turn the higher Voltage into current, so there's no large power loss.

If you want to charge a 12 Volt battery you have the opposite problem: the 30 Vmp is too high to be used with a 12 Volt system and PWM type controller. As a result, you lose some of the power potential of the panel. Instead of Imp * Vmp you get Imp * battery Voltage: 7.8 Amps * 30.1 Volts = 235 Watts, but 7.8 Amps * 14.4 (charging) Volts = 112 Watts! Magically 123 Watts vanishes because panels are a current source and will allow their Voltage to go down without a fight.

Your installer was thinking along the lines of Voltage drop over distance, reasoning that two runs would suffer less power loss. Technically that is correct, but you can get the same effect with either using larger wire for paralleling the panels or putting them in series to increase the Voltage. Parallel the panels would be 30.1 Volts @ 15.6 Amps. Series they would be 60.2 Volts @ 7.8 Amps. Same Watts arranged to different ways. The higher Voltage/lower current way leads to less Voltage loss with any given wire size/distance.

Since you have to use an MPPT type controller to maximize the power from these panels with either Voltage system you might as well wire them in series and reduce the Voltage drop in the down lead.

The ground, btw, should not be run into the house. It should go down the outside to a ground rod to keep stray Voltage from lightning activity from 'lighting up' the panels and anything they're attached to. There is a lot of discussion about grounding practices, and a lot of disagreement.
  • Everlong

That makes sense. Ok, why Rogue and not other brand like xentrex or Steca ?

I believe 10g wire was used for wiring tnese, so if i go on the roof and connect + and - between panels, and run only two of these wires down (other + & -) will tnat be ok for the 60v and 7.8A?
  • Cariboocoot

Rogue made (and will again soon) a very good quality 30 Amp 12/24 Volt MPPT controller for a reasonable price.
    Xantrex is more money, a 60 Amp unit (for the MPPT one), and buggy.
    I'm not familiar with Steca controllers and haven't seen a listing for an MPPT unit from them.
    Blue Sky makes some in about the right range, but frankly their specifications are confusing.

We are talking about $300 range controllers here. Go up to $500 and you can get a MidNite Classic 150 lite which will handle a lot more current and is frankly one of the best on the market (the 'full' version being the best) today. This is one reason why you need to consider possible future expansion now. One of the smartest things I ever did was shell out $900 for an Outback MX60 back in 2008. It was the best controller available then. I used three panels on a 12 Volt system originally, and now have four wired for 48 Volts nominal (70 Vmp) on a 24 Volt system. What's more I know I can add panels to it or change over to an even bigger array or even up the system Voltage again without having to replace the controller.

10 AWG would handle 60 Volts @ 8 Amps up to a distance of about 100 feet before the Voltage drop (at full power) started to climb above acceptable limits. :D
  • Everlong

http://www.stecasolar.com/index.php?Steca_Solarix_MPPT_en
  • Everlong

Rogue is nowhere to be found. I have narrowed my choices to Morningstar ts60, outback fm60, and midnite 200 which due to high price is last on the list.

Thank You for steering me in the right direction. :)
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

really? the midnight is too expensive? look again.
    http://www.solar-electric.com/misoclli.html
    the lite will be a few bucks less than the others with the full capabilities of the classic far exceeding the others with only a bit less graphics to look at.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,591 admin

This is the Rogue website:

www.roguepowertech.com

But he is a small company and is bringing out his next generation product (3rd design iteration?) and, last I heard 2nd hand, it should be out around the end of the year.

The present Rogue controller (out of stock) is a 12/24 volt controller at 30 Amps maximum to the battery bank.

A very nice/well made controller with nice features (and you don't have to pay for an optional LCD meter).

If you can wait and need a smaller MPPT controller--Should be worth while (I don't know anything about the new model or its specifications).
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset