outback flexmax 80 only gives 60amps

Options
Far Jump
Far Jump Registered Users Posts: 5
I have a small 12v system with a FM80. The panels will charge my batteries but I notice that it never generates more that 60amps. When I attempt to set max amps on the Mate it will not allow me to increase it past 60amps. I have a HUB and the DC. Can anyone tell me how to correct this, or maybe I missed some config option , thanks

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: outback flexmax 80 only gives 60amps

Welcome to the forum.

The MATE isn't going to allow you to change the settings on the FM80: it can only look at it. You have to program the controller directly.
    To that end, its default setting is maximum. You will not see that much current unless A). you have enough panel to supply it (about 1200 Watts on a 12 Volt system) and B). the batteries actually need the current (the higher their state of charge the lower their current demand).

And if you're running an 800 Amp hour 12 Volt battery bank you should consider the possibility of going to a higher system Voltage if it can be used. See this thread about the advantages: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?15989-Battery-System-Voltages-and-equivalent-power
  • Far Jump
    Options

thanks for the info. My panels can produce upto 1350 watts and my battery bank is rated: 1320 amp/hour. the documentation for the Mates says:

The following tasks are common to many OutBack Power Systems customers and are viewable
    and programmable using the MATE. They are fully explained within this manual. The purpose
    here is to offer an overview of the tasks and put them in an easily understandable context,
    especially for new users.

and on page 180

The advanced CC screens include:
    AUX output function
    AUX output control
    programming of both the
    FLEXmax60 and FLEXmax 80
    Charge Controllers

When I go to the advanced screen it does indeed have these functions and I can program the FM80, At the option: Output Current Limit, I can decrease the amps from 60 to any amount below 60. when I press the INC button it will increase it tops out at 60amps
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Far Jump wrote: »
    thanks for the info. My panels can produce upto 1350 watts and my battery bank is rated: 1320 amp/hour. the documentation for the Mates says:

The following tasks are common to many OutBack Power Systems customers and are viewable
    and programmable using the MATE. They are fully explained within this manual. The purpose
    here is to offer an overview of the tasks and put them in an easily understandable context,
    especially for new users.

and on page 180

The advanced CC screens include:
    AUX output function
    AUX output control
    programming of both the
    FLEXmax60 and FLEXmax 80

Charge Controllers

When I go to the advanced screen it does indeed have these functions and I can program the FM80, At the option: Output Current Limit, I can decrease the amps from 60 to any amount below 60. when I press the INC button it will increase it tops out at 60amps

Sounds to me as if the MATE thinks that you have a FLEXmax 60!
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Somebody please remind me why I'm here? :p
  • Far Jump
    Options

Yes, is there a section in the Mate where you tell it what equipment you have?
  • unicornio
    unicornio Solar Expert Posts: 217 ✭✭
    Options
    Somebody please remind me why I'm here? :p

I think maybe you're here to relax some time about the really technical problems that you usually solve! .... but I'm like you, that I'm not sure!...;-)
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Yes, is there a section in the Mate where you tell it what equipment you have?

Re-poll the components with the MATE and see if it recognizes the FM80 as an 80 instead of a 60.

When all else fails, leave it disconnected from the HUB and let it run on its own.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe the FM80 got programmed to be an FM60 ?? That kind of thing can and does happen.

I believe the two FM80 and FM60 are basically the same except for the fan and the software.

boB
  • unicornio
    Options
    boB wrote: »
    Maybe the FM80 got programmed to be an FM60 ?? That kind of thing can and does happen.

I believe the two FM80 and FM60 are basically the same except for the fan and the software.

boB

yeah!...if anyone change the control board of the FM80 by a FM60 control board, then the FM80 is turned on a FM60 automatically... ;-)
    maybe this happens too with the midnites?....lol
  • Far Jump
    Options

boB

can it be reprogramed or does the manufacturer have to do this?
  • unicornio
    Options
    can it be reprogramed or does the manufacturer have to do this?

maybe before ask manufacturer, you should confirm that the limit of 60 amps is not the result of any of the multiple configurations that can have a outback system, especially if you have installed the FlexNet DC ...and of course, if the FM80 is in warranty period, the manufacturer will solve easily and quickly...sure!...;-)
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    unicornio wrote: »
    maybe before ask manufacturer, you should confirm that the limit of 60 amps is not the result of any of the multiple configurations that can have a outback system, especially if you have installed the FlexNet DC ...and of course, if the FM80 is in warranty period, the manufacturer will solve easily and quickly...sure!...;-)

Yes. This first.

Look at the Mate and see what CC it thinks it is connected to first.

Also, go to the FM80 itself and try to raise the current limit. If it stops at 60 amps then maybe it was
    programmed wrong.

I suspect that it is something else, maybe the Mate... If it is a regular old mate and not a mate 3, then it
    may not even be aware of the FM80 and will only let it do what a MX60 or FM80 will allow for current limit.
    If it doesn't know what an FM80 is, then maybe the mate needs its firmware updated to a newer version ??

I'd go to the CC itself and try raising the limit.

boB
  • Far Jump
    Options
    Yes. This first.

Look at the Mate and see what CC it thinks it is connected to first.

Also, go to the FM80 itself and try to raise the current limit. If it stops at 60 amps then maybe it was
    programmed wrong.

I suspect that it is something else, maybe the Mate... If it is a regular old mate and not a mate 3, then it
    may not even be aware of the FM80 and will only let it do what a MX60 or FM80 will allow for current limit.
    If it doesn't know what an FM80 is, then maybe the mate needs its firmware updated to a newer version ??

I'd go to the CC itself and try raising the limit.

boB

OK I will go directly to the CC and try to raise the limit. I re-polled as suggested and all is says is that a CC is connected - it does not indicate whether it is a FM80 or FM60. If the CC indicates it can handle 80 amps I will disconnect the Mate as suggested
  • unicornio
    Options
    maybe the mate needs its firmware updated to a newer version ?? boB

if the matter is this, OB can update the mate for free...;-)