Sun Run PV leasing

2»

Comments

• rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Re: Sun Run PV leasing

jeffjet the thread was 3 years old.
    4 months to install a solar system is not horribly long.

Having a fire and having to wiat 1.5 months to get it fixed is pretty long though. What causes the fire? did the wire burn up due to being undersized?
  • sunruncustomercare
    sunruncustomercare Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Jeffjet,

I apologize for the experience you've had so far with Sunrun. To increase our response time have recently doubled our Customer Care department, which was already the largest in the industry. As for the system's production, luckily you are protected by the Sunrun performance guarantee in which we pay you back for any power you do not receive from the system. If you had simply purchased the system instead of gone with us, you would have paid $16,650 more to get the system on your roof and would not have been refunded for the power you didn't receive. We look forward to getting your system back up and running and once again apologize for the delays.

Best,

Sunrun Customer Care
    855.4SUNRUNx2

customercare@sunrunhome.com
  • Juram
    Juram Solar Expert Posts: 36
    jeffjet wrote: »
    I have used SUNRUN and they were a very disappointing company along with their partner Standard Solar! Please be very careful with them if you even consider using them! Their staff is more understandable if you watch Cheech and Chong, Valley Girls Movie or better yet smoke a joint! You can expect to stay on hold for no less than 10-15 minutes, then when someone does come on the line about 15 minutes later you will be told that they will look in your problem and have someone call you back. Don't hold your breath, as they never call you back! When you call them, wait on hold for about 15 minutes to be told they have been really busy and then apologize for not calling you back instead of correcting the problem! As a east coast person myself, my time is valuable, as I am sure your is also. Be advised, that SUNRUN employees have no regard for your time or timeframe to get things done! I signed contracts/lease agreement with Sunrun/Standard Solar back on October 26, 2011 and my system was not complete to be turned on till February 27th a full 4 months! I was promised/guaranteed first year production of 9.8kWh. For the summer months of May produced 4.67kWh, June produced 4.69 and in the longest daylight hours July it produced a whopping 6.7kWh! This is way below what was promised and to date they have not explained to me what they plan on doing! In the mean time we had a small fire from the way the system was installed by Standard Solar/ Sunrun on August 19, 2012, I am still waiting for them to assign a contractor to start my system back up. Again, no regard to customer service or my time that I waste calling them to see when they will be repairing their system! I have called so many times that I was told to only deal with their Senior Attorney who emphatically insisted that he would get someone one out immediately. On September 25th, I spoke with Michael their senior Attorney where he promised me someone would be out within a few days. It will now be 10 days since we spoke and more than one and a half (1.5) months later I am still waiting with no one calling me back as to a date they will get the system back up and running! In my opinion, I would stay away from them and Standard Solar!

Par for the course for a lot of these companies, all sorts of awesome and highly attentive upfront but once you sign that contract....you're screwed. I've always been in favor of going through a local installer with a solid reputation as most of these leasing outfits have very short business histories and you have to wonder what happens in 2016 when the 30% ITC goes away, what companies whose entire business model is predicated on leasing will do or whether or not they'll even survive.
  • Juram
    Juram Solar Expert Posts: 36
    Hi Jeffjet,

I apologize for the experience you've had so far with Sunrun. To increase our response time have recently doubled our Customer Care department, which was already the largest in the industry. As for the system's production, luckily you are protected by the Sunrun performance guarantee in which we pay you back for any power you do not receive from the system. If you had simply purchased the system instead of gone with us, you would have paid $16,650 more to get the system on your roof and would not have been refunded for the power you didn't receive. We look forward to getting your system back up and running and once again apologize for the delays.

Best,

Sunrun Customer Care
    855.4SUNRUNx2

customercare@sunrunhome.com

In fair disclosure you should state that he will only get paid back if his system underperforms for the entire year based on an already conservative guaranteed output model, I've yet to see a company guarantee production while the system is down other than pointing to the yearly performance model where if his systems happens to produce a kilowatt hour over what was guaranteed, he wouldn't be compensated for any time his system was down.