Painting your homes walls white reduces Cooling Energy costs by 11%

rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
http://www.ba-pirc.org/media/pdf/ReflectiveWalls_DParker.pdf

Took me about an hour to find this article. Next time I paint my home it's going to change from the brown 80% sun soaker to white.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Painting your homes walls white reduces Cooling Energy costs by 11%

many like the white or other light colors as it also allows a lessening in lighting costs.
  • RadioGuy
    RadioGuy Registered Users Posts: 7

Also, for those of us who live in hot climates painting your roof white makes a huge difference in cooling costs. I have done this at two locations now. With the first I never had to run my swamp cooler again. The second, where we get into the 100s regularly, I can easily keep my house in the low 80s (instead of mid 90s) on the really hot days. My brother painted his garage roof and it easily dropped the temperatures by 10 degrees.
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    RadioGuy wrote: »
    Also, for those of us who live in hot climates painting your roof white makes a huge difference in cooling costs. I have done this at two locations now. With the first I never had to run my swamp cooler again. The second, where we get into the 100s regularly, I can easily keep my house in the low 80s (instead of mid 90s) on the really hot days. My brother painted his garage roof and it easily dropped the temperatures by 10 degrees.
    What kind of roof paint did you use? Half my roof is flat (rolled bitumen) - been thinking of doing the same both to reduce solar heating in the summer and keep the roof cooler in general which should boost solar production a smidge as well.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

geez all those quaint old white Greek houses with their white roofs really do work to keep you cool! Who knew...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • DavidOH
    DavidOH Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

Yes! That's why I did it. ^--- Right here. It's harder to cool it than it is to heat.
  • Utana
    Utana Solar Expert Posts: 32
    RadioGuy wrote: »

I would like to know what kind of pain you used on the roof too. Would it work on asphalt shingles? Been wanting to get a nice white tin roof for our house, but its really expensive.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

painting ashphalt shingles white might reduce the heat load on your roof 15% but that only results in around 3 to 5% energy reduction per FSECU. given the cost of paint, it is not ecnomically beneficially usually.

getting a cool roof, a new energy star appliance, a higher effcience heating/cooling system are upgrades that really only make sense at the end of usefull life of the item most of the time.