Anybody using a Fronius IG V to 240V?

Hi, I am new to this forum.

I am self-installing a residential system. I am looking for a sample of all the options settings for this inverter, in my particular application. It seems to be a relatively new model of the Fronius IG V 5.1 (V replaced the PLUS version I think). I have looked through the installation manual, but want to make sure.

My input: 2 strings, max current per string Isc=8.12A. String voltage Vpmax=290V.
AC 240V single phase.

For normal operation the strap should be at SMON, right?

What else do I need to set? Do they come with dc fuses? Or do I need to add them? Is the dc fuse capacity determined by each string or the two combined strings of 16.25A ? (times 1.56)

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Anybody using a Fronius IG V to 240V?

I did not see a string sizing tool at the Fronius website...

Anyway, you need to look very closely at your min/max temperatures for your location, and ensure that Voc-array-cold and Vmp-array-hot fall into the operational range (MPPT appears to be 230-500 VDC, and Voc-cold not to exceed 600 VDC). Not sure if it is the model number you are looking at or not.

There have been some issues with operating earlier Fronius inverters with specific array configurations--So, I would probably ask Fronius to give you a letter "blessing" your exact array series/parallel/solar panel mfg-model configuration.

Fronius
    MPP Hunting
    (older thread)

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

Found Fronius string sizing by doing a web search "Fronius string sizing" can do online configuration or download to your pc. Missing your panel make/model information, min/max temps, modules per string etc. fill in required information and it will give you configurations that will work, or post information for further help.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • BB.

Here is a link I found from Skidoo's search term:

http://www.fronius.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-64608703-2648244F/fronius_usa/hs.xsl/2714_8236.htm

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • SkiDoo55

Thanks Bill
    Need to figure out attaching hyperlink when on IPad.
    Hope that helps him.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • BB.

Not a problem... I can always cut and past something into Google. :p

-Bill "good for someth'n" B.
  • CqCq
    CqCq Registered Users Posts: 8
    BB. wrote: »

Thank you for all of the feedback from everbody. The above link checks out as optimal my configuration of 2 strings of 10 panels each. The panels are the Evergreen ES-E-215. BTW, the configuration tool does not show the IG Plus V models, but only the IG plus models --- perhaps they are identical for the voltage/current ratings?

My questions were more specific to things like the option straps SMON or SMOFF setting of this particular inverter. I do not know if that strap option was in the non-V (IG Plus) version.

Fronius seems to ship with some conducting elements -- metal slugs -- (not a fuse) in the fuse holder positions. Can I simply pull on the plastic cover tab of the fuse holder to pull this out? The fuse holders seem to be stuck rather fast! it looks like I have to go procure some special type of fuses for the string... The fuse rating calculation for the string is provided in the manual.

There is also a fuse in the GFI ground circuit. The method to calculate the required fuse size is not specified in the manual. Perhaps that is shipped with a correct fuse and not a metal slug? Anybody knows this?
  • SkiDoo55

The manual for your inverter can be downloaded for your inverter from the Fronius site. Directions for SMON/SMOFF are not really clear unles I am not reading it correctly.
    The ground fault fuse spec is given and should be the correct one installed from the factory. Fuses can replace the slug bars with specified type fuses in the holders.
  • CqCq

SkiDoo55,

The way I understand the SMON/SMOFF strap setting: For normal operation SMON (as it is shipped). For certain test of ground faults and others, do the testing after moving the strap to SMOFF, and after the test is complete move the strap back to SMOFF. The manual is not clearly written like that.

Thanks for pointing out the GFDI fuse rating is in the manual. Yes, I found it at the end in the replacement section 1A/600V. They showed the rating of the string fuses earlier, but at that sectionn when they described the GFDI fuse, they did not show its rating.

I conclude that there is no configuration other than SMON/OFF. Once the modules/string is selected, then that is it. The inverter has two sets of outputs on the same output terminals, one for 240v AC, and one for 277v AC, these are clearly marked on the terminals. Am I correct here?
  • CqCq

My earlier question: Do I simply force pull out the fuses by pulling on the holed tab of the cover, or is there a release point? The fuses seem to be very tight. I do not want to break them :)
  • SkiDoo55

It appears per the picture in the manual that they pull straight up out of the contact fingers.
    If panels are connected make sure the inverter DC disconnect is OFF. Also, check with meter, be safe.
    I haven't been in one of this model. I have a Zantrex GT 3.8 and have installed din rail touch safe fuse holders. Only Fronius I have dealt with has an external combiner/fuse box and it has din/rail touch safe also.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

I have 2 of the fronius plus models. The fuse holders pull hard. Just pull on it till it lets go. You need a 1 amp klkd or equivilent fuse that is for 600 vdc for the gfi fuse. My electrician got me ac fuses and they blew because they were for ac. Our host sells the fuses. :Dsolarvic:D
  • SkiDoo55

Wouldn't the 1 amp be for the GFDI circuit?
    Estimate @15 to 20. Amp for strings
    Shouldn't the 1 amp fuse be installed from factory? Thanks for the answer on those holders, I know all of them I have encountered in equipment and aircraft have pulled hard.

Thanks
  • CqCq

Thank you.

Yes, the GFDI fuse is installed, it is 1A/600v.

The string fuses have to be >1.56XIsc and <2xIsc (Isc short circuit current, max, of the panel). In my case that make 15A fuse as the available one in KLKD type.