Outback Radian Inverter/Charger

I'm liking what I'm reading about the operating modes of this new Radian inverter/charger Attachment not found. system from Outback.
Sounds like it handles a grid interface better than Xantrex XW.
But --- it is a 8000W unit with 33.3A max output (needs 41+ ampacity) so can this go on a 200A service???
I suppose the rated AC output is for any dedicated loads, but what is the backfeed rating on the grid connection?
Spec sheet doesn't really address this. I assume they wouldn't preclude using a 200A service.

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Outback Radian Inverter/Charger

solarix,

I know nothing, but you might consider, if you have not asked there, going to the OB Forum .. link to the Radian Topic:
    http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=40&sid=2f3debcdbd32cccd8bf108522df14cf5

OB Tech is very responsive on their Forum.

Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭

Solarix,

Good point/question.

The back-feed current rating of battery inverters is definately a disputable issue. Is it rated by the AC pass-through breaker rating or the inverter listed power?
    Different AHJs will look at it differently.

If they are considering the AC pass through rating many single inverters have a 60 amp internal transfer switch. Some AHJs will insist that this is the back feed which the buss bar must (in addition to the main breaker) be rated no less than 120%. Some AHJ will accept that the inverter is only capable of backfeeding it's rated power.

The CSI List of Eiligible Inverters considers the Outback Radian (GS8048 ) power rated at 7650 Watts:
    http://www.gosolarcalifornia.org/equipment/inverters.php
    According to this the backfeed at 240 vac is only 31.87 amps x 1.25 = 39.84 amps.

Okay for a 200 amp 120/240 vac residential service panel?

-Alex Aragon
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I recently had an offgrid machine shop up in the Sierras get PG & E after 15 years. We had to add (2) XW's into their new 200 amp service. So if you can't exceed 120% of the main breaker to protect the bussbar how do you do it? It is really easy!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net