anyone used the kyocera kc130tm solar panels

has anyone ever used them and how do they work as far as efficientcy and how many watts can i expect to get from 3 panels together

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: anyone used the kyocera kc130tm solar panels

From what I have read here--Kyocera makes good/reliable panels that perform well... There was an "oops" about a decade ago where this series of panels was failing in the field. Kyocera stood behind their panels and (as far as I know), has replaced any failing panels (and groups of panels that had some failures).

The 130 watt are now 140 watt panels (current production)--But should be fine too. For the most part, panels with similar Vmp and/or Imp can be mixed without major issues (Vmp matches to withing ~10% or better for parallel connections; Imp matches to 10% or better for series connections).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

welcome.
    the nominal output (rated) would be 390W but in practice you will probably get ~ 50% of that amount that you can actually use, due to losses in transmission, conversion, inversion etc.

What other equipment do you have? Application?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

In general, solar panels output around 81% of their ratings for average warmish days... In cooler weather/higher altitudes, you may get ~84-85% of rated power. With snow on the ground, a few folks have reported 100% of rated power (sub freezing weather, refections from ice/snow).

There are a lot of questions about your overall system and power usage... But as WestBranch brings up--The end to end efficiency (panel to charge controller to battery bank to AC inverter to load) is much closer to 50% overall rating.

For example, a 390 watt array for off grid + AC inverter power:

390 watts * 4 hours typical sun * 0.52 system derate = 811 Watt*Hours per day

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

They look basically identical to my KD135 panels. I think the only difference is in production runs and supplied connectors.

I have 9 KD135 panels and 6 KD185 panels, like them fine. They perform just as they should, Kyocera supplies PTC ratings on their data sheets and I find those are just what I reliably get on a regular basis. With cooler weather I'll be somewhere between the PTC and STC ratings. My panels were installed in stages, the oldest batch are 3-4 years old now. All panels look the same from the ground, the only difference is the frames changed slightly along the way.
  • OverTheTopCargoTrailer
    OverTheTopCargoTrailer Registered Users Posts: 3

I have 4 x 210 = 840 Kyocera panels , they are laying flat and I have pulled 670 watts at 2 pm in the afternoon

The NOCT ? is rated at 149 so I was quite surprised considering the poor angle to the sun.

http://overthetopcargotrailer.blogspot.com/
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

I have 4 of those in my array. My only disappointment is Kyocera stopped making them! I've since added a couple of the 135W modules, but looks like those have been discontinued too. Makes it tough for those of us that can only afford a couple of panels at a time.

I can't give you specifics on those exact panels. But with my mix of 130W and 135W Kyocera panels, and some 15W panels on another charge controller, I was getting close to 70% of the rated 880W. From what I've read, 70% is a reasonable figure to expect with all the losses.

dscn6176.jpg

charging48a-t.jpg

880W x 70% = 616W / 12V = 51A. I was pushing 49A. Keep in mind I had some Harbor Freight and Northern Tool 15W panels in the mix, so that might have brought the efficiency down some too. I'm also in FL, and it was hot here during the time of the measurement.

FWIW, I had to put a big load on the battery bank to get the charge controllers to increase the charge to the batteries.

My oldest Kyocera is 4 years old. Great product, no regrets.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

robert,
    there's no real problem getting the higher wattage model put in for an expansion or replacement as they would be well within percentages of each other. beyond 10w difference could show an excursion from the %, but if no others are available within tolerance then you wouldn't have much choice anyhow and it will still work at least on par with your original pvs.
  • 2manytoyz

Thanks Niel.

Since my system has been Frankenstiened together, I have multiple charge controllers. The downside is this is the expensive way to go. The upside is I don't have a single point failure. The manufacturer of my charge controllers, MorningStar, says it's okay to parallel charge controllers, provided they all have their own dedicated panels.

I will likely put the four 135W panels on a Prostar 30M. The two 130W panels will go on my second Prostar 30M. I might be able to put two 140W panels (don't own yet) on that same controller. Morningstar says not to derate their controllers. They can handle the full 30A rating. All the 15W panels will be put onto the Sunlight 10L controller.

I'll have to look at the numbers on the spec sheets before doing so.

I had hoped to keep "like" panels together on individual charge controllers, but I can't keep up with the obsolescence rate! Good to know I can mix them within reason.
  • Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭

to many,

a supplier in miami is selling the kyocera kd135 panel which is very close to the specs of the kc 130tm of which I have twelve since 2007. They have worked well during that time. the kd has spec of 17.7v mp and 7.63A mp as compared to those of the kc130tm of 17.6V and 7.39A so I thing they would work very well together. The kd140 from wind sun would also work well as well but the kd135 has closer specs.

cheers...
    Damani
  • 2manytoyz

Damani,

I have two of the KD135SX-UPU panels, along with the four KC130TM panels as well. The 135s are nice panels, work great, but physically a little larger than the slightly older 130W panels. Going to be the same deal if I have to go with 140W panels. Different thicknesses too, which makes mounting a bit of a challenge. At least these all have the same junction boxes, which I prefer.

Years ago I did ask Sun Electronics years ago if they had any 130s in stock. Not checked with them, or anyone else, for the now discontinued 135s yet. My toy money is going towards the house at the moment.

Thanks for the thought.