How do you connect a parallel battery bank to controller

TDSolarguy
TDSolarguy Solar Expert Posts: 31 ✭✭
Hello All
I'm needing some advice on how to connect to a solar controller from two batteries connected in parallel . I know that on the battery side one connects positive to positive and negative to negative.

The step on where to connect from the batteries to the controller is what I'm not sure of.
Do I connect from one positive on one battery and then negative from the other battery to the controller?

Or do I connect one positive and one negative from just one of the batteries to the controller.

I'm thinking it's the first one.

Thanks

T D Solar guy

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: How do you connect a parallel battery bank to controller

Ideally, you want the resistance from the "bus bar +/- common points" to be equal path (resistance) to each battery in parallel (to ensure balanced current flow during charging and discharging). Here is one website that does a good job of explaining the options:

www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭

TD, that smartgauge site is a great resource, but it illustrates how to connect 4 batteries in parallel. Here is a more explicit diagram for 2 batteries.
    Attachment not found.
    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    TDSolarguy wrote: »
    Do I connect from one positive on one battery and then negative from the other battery to the controller?

You are correct: it's this one. :D
  • TDSolarguy
    TDSolarguy Solar Expert Posts: 31 ✭✭

Thak you so much guys.

T D Solar guy