Help for school project

Options
OK i need help for a school project we are running a ac 115 volt water pump a 120 volt light and a 120 volt exhaustion fan in our green house we built and i need to know what all i need like what size panels to get how many batteries i need what type of charge controller,do i need a batteries temperature gauge, and do i need a converter from the batteries to the equipment so some one please help send me a list of things i need and explain please ...

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Help for school project

Welcome, what are the amounts of time the pump, light and fan run?

Can you use DC? dc pump, light and fan? this influences the type of additional equipment you will need.

hth

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

nobody can answer that until we know what the real draw is in watts and for how long every day in watt hours.

one of these may help,
    http://www.solar-electric.com/kiacpomome.html
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

I've moved this to its own thread because it's starting off on a whole new adventure!

What you need is a Kill-A-Watt meter.
    You need to measure the actual power used by the water pump, light, and fan during the course of a typical day. This will be a figure of Watt hours for each one. You add them up to get the total.

Then you have a rough idea of how big a battery and at what Voltage is needed to supply the power through what size inverter. The size of the battery determines what is needed for panels & charge controller.

If this is a standard water pump you will find it uses a lot of power and has a nasty high current demand on start-up. If it's a small one like a Shurflo http://www.solar-electric.com/2088-594-154.html its power demands will not be so great.

Let's look at the light for an example:
    If it is a 100 Watt incandescent it will use 100 Watts * however many hours it is on. Let's say 4 hours at night. That's 400 Watt hours right there.
    Then there is the conversion inefficiency of the inverter. This will add perhaps 10% to that figure. We're now at 440 Watt hours.
    The inverter will consume power too. If it is only on for the light it may take as little as 6 Watts or as much as 40; this will depend on the actual inverter whose size is determined by the total load of everything running at once. If you are just running the light and can use a small inverter we'll add it in as 6 Watts for the 4 hours or 24 more Watt hours. The total is now 464 Watt hours.

Since that is a relatively small amount it could be handle on a 12 Volt system. So you divide by 12 and get 38.7 Amp hours. Since you don't want to discharge the battery more than 50% you need to multiply that by at least 2: 77.4 Amp hour 12 Volt battery. That will need to be rounded up to the nearest available size. Perhaps a 95 Amp hour Crown 12 Volt.

From there you target your peak charge current potential. If the loads are always off during charging you can use the minimum 5% rate. If they may be on you need to use a higher rate. 10% usually works in most cases. That means you want to provide the battery with up to 9.5 Amps of current. To get that you need enough panel to supply that rate. Since this is small, we'll expect to use a less expensive PWM type controller like this: http://www.solar-electric.com/ss-10.html You'll want "12 Volt" panels to supply it. They will have a Vmp around 17 to 18. The other important number is the current rating: "Imp". This should be near or even above the charge rate desired, total for all panels.

Here's where you can fudge things a bit. Kyocera makes some 140 Watt panels with an Imp of 7.9. That current is between the 5% minimum and 10% 'desired' peak rate of the 95 Amp hour battery, and so should work for this example.

But remember; that example is only for running one 100 Watt light for four hours. The other equipment and/or longer times will multiply out, requiring larger battery capacity and more solar panel.

Along about that time a long extension cord to the nearest outlet starts to look really good. :D
  • osborneak13@yahoo.com
    osborneak13@yahoo.com Registered Users Posts: 6
    Options

were could i get a kill-a-watt meter at ?
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Should be available at local hardware/electrical supply stores.
    Or they certainly are available on-line. For instance from the people that host this forum: http://www.solar-electric.com/kiacpomome.html
    About $30, and worth it as you can measure the electrical consumption of anything you plug in and get a good idea where the power is going. The "off" loads of many things are surprisingly high.
  • osborneak13@yahoo.com
    Options

thanks................................
  • osborneak13@yahoo.com
    Options

i was wanting to know were i could find a pole that i can swivel my panel in the direction of the sun can you help ?
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    i was wanting to know were i could find a pole that i can swivel my panel in the direction of the sun can you help ?

Do you mean trackers like these:
    http://wattsun.com/residential_trackers.html
    http://www.solar-electric.com/zotrmoforsoe.html

Or simply a pole mount that you can manually aim towards the sun?

Here is our host NAWS' section on panel mounts to give you some idea of what is involved: http://www.solar-electric.com/panel-mounts.html

The pole itself you'd would have to source locally.
  • osborneak13@yahoo.com
    Options

just manually cause im on a budget
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    just manually cause im on a budget

In that case it becomes a matter of how mechanically inclined you are.
    There are issues with the number of panels, weight of each, area of total, how high up you need to put them, et cetera. It can be quite a challenge and one not easily explained in words.
  • osborneak13@yahoo.com
    Options

approximaly 2 panles per pole