couple of newbie questions...

Options
photon_trap
photon_trap Registered Users Posts: 23 ✭✭
Hi all I am building my first system, basically a backup system which will partially power my garage.
My question is, (assuming the battery layout I attached is appropriate) where do I attach a charger - on the output cables
or, is there a preferred location for better charging?

Also, is there a need for any space between the batteries when they are mounted?
and.... would the Iota Engineeering DLS-75 be a good choice for a 110v charger?

BTW my goal is 12V 790 AH from the four 6V batteries

Thanks MUCH ! I sure don't want to have to re-purchase expensive components because I screwed up !
Jeff A
Attachment not found.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: couple of newbie questions...

Welcome to the forum.

For two parallel battery strings what you want to do is diagonal wiring. This will keep the current flow in and out of the two strings as even as possible, which is important for long battery life.

The 75 Amp Iota charger is a good choice for this battery bank (none of the available battery chargers are ideal, as we've just been discussing in another thread).

Space between batteries is not strictly necessary. Normally the heat is not a problem unless you live in a very hot climate and need to actually cool the batteries (force air past them).

Is this going to have a solar charge portion? If so, one of the great add-ons is a remote temperature sensor for the charge controller. Unfortunately no such option is available for AC power stand-alone chargers.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is this going to have a solar charge portion? If so, one of the great add-ons is a remote temperature sensor for the charge controller. Unfortunately no such option is available for AC power stand-alone chargers.

Such an option does exist:
    http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/default/battery-temperature-sensor.aspx

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • photon_trap
    Options

Thanks!
    Unfortunately, the location available does not lend itself to this arrangement -Is there a better set-up when the batteries are parallel to each other?
    Their orientation can be changed but I am limited to a space approx 36 X 13

J
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks!
    Unfortunately, the location available does not lend itself to this arrangement -Is there a better set-up when the batteries are parallel to each other?

Attachment not found.
    wires a1 and a2 must be the same length and gauge
    wires b1 and b2 must be the same length and gauge
    wires c1 and c2 must be the same length and gauge

note that there are two current paths:
    path1: a1 --> b1 --> c1
    path2: c2 --> b2 --> a2

both paths have the same length and resistance.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

As per vtMaps post: it isn't the physical arrangement of the batteries that matters it's the electrical connections, i.e. wire lengths. The idea is to keep the resistance the same on both battery strings.
  • photon_trap
    Options

understood. Thanks