Please recommend a television

bnlfan
bnlfan Registered Users Posts: 8
I am selling my 50" plasma television this week so I can get a more efficient television for when I hook up and switch to my solar panels. I would like to have some recommendations.

I do not need a 50" tv. I will be sitting about 5 feet max. from the screen.

I want to know the features to look for to get the most energy efficient television.

Thanks folks.

Bnlfan

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Please recommend a television
    bnlfan wrote: »
    I am selling my 50" plasma television this week so I can get a more efficient television for when I hook up and switch to my solar panels. I would like to have some recommendations.

I do not need a 50" tv. I will be sitting about 5 feet max. from the screen.

I want to know the features to look for to get the most energy efficient television.

Thanks folks.

Bnlfan

You probably want to look for LED backlight. Fluorescent backlight may be slightly more efficient but may not last as long or be as dimmable to reduce input power.
    And whatever you get, look for ways to reduce the light in the room when watching (not darkness, just not bright sun) to allow you to turn the TV backlight brightness down.
    Use a Kill-a-watt meter to determine how much power the TV draws when "off" and see whether you want to put it on a power strip or switched outlet to really turn it off. (I have not seen any TVs with a real off switch built in. Does anybody else know of any?)
    The parasitic power will vary from brand to brand, but will not change much with size, while the biggest factor in the operating power is the backlight, and that goes as the area of the picture. So it goes as the square of the diagonal measurement.

1080P and 740P both will use the same backlight, but the 1080P will use more power switching the LCD elements on and off. If you are sitting 5 feet away and if you play BlueRay DVDs or watch action sports, I would go for 1080.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

As luck would have it, we have quite a long thread about televisions which will either help or confuse you! :D
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?16167-televisions
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

you are on the right track as reducing screen size will help tremendously in cutting power consumption. do look over specs for tvs to compare pwr consumption and most online stores give these specs with walmart, sears, and best buy just to name a few. this will not always be what you will draw, but is a worst case the manufacturer is safe going with to cover their butts with. often times energy star rated tvs will do better so that would be a good start. in my opinion the standard 32" tvs will do fine, but if you like big then no more than 37" i would think for 5ft away. i watch my 32" 10ft away and it's fine for me and i don't see as good as i used to either.:roll: do read the link cariboocoot listed.
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    I ended up getting a 32 inch samsung direct led . The direct led is a little more efficient than the edge led lit screens. The Kilowatt meter shows it using 38 watts with screen on full brilliance. that is less than the spec watts,maybe because I did not check with it on full volume... Happy with my set up . Did however consider a led projector as suggested on the tv thread.
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

When you've narrowed your choices down I would go to a store that has them on display, with your Kill-A-Watt. Explain to the salesperson that you need to see the energy consumption on a few models and have him help you (so you don't get thrown out for messing with the display units). Measured energy useage always trumps manufacturer claims.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • Coach Dad
    Coach Dad Solar Expert Posts: 154 ✭✭

I just bought a Vizio
    Attachment not found.
    It is a 42 inch TV and uses about 58 watts
  • DavidOH
    DavidOH Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

If you still want a BIG screen TV, why not go with a projector?

Here is what a friend did in his OFF GRID home:
    " I was going to buy a 22" D.C. TV but decided to go with a projector instead. A little more money for a much larger screen. (Approx. 70" dia.) *LG HX350T* Running it directly from my battery with a voltage converter. (12 to 19.5v) TV Tuner built in..

Made the screen from a 4'x8' sheet of masonite, white on one side, and a quart of flat white paint. The paint isn't glossy and is whiter than the board itself. (Ceiling white with some added pigment.. ) The size of the screen is 48"x68" and I can fill it up..

The head unit for playing AM/FM, DVD's and CD's is a Jensen AWM975 which is normally used in an RV. It has an HDMI output so I can have a true digital picture instead of composite. It has an audio amp built-in at ~120 watts and will support 6 speakers. I have 4 connected with the front/rear fader in the Jensen for that Hillbilly Surround Sound effect. 2 of the speakers are in my kitchen ~12' behind the couch. (RCA) The two fronts are Klipsch.

I have the sound of the TV/Projector through the Jensen in true stereo and Dolby. Sounds really good! Totally remote controlled and on 12 v.d.c. (NO INVERTER INVOLVED!) "

The above is from him on another forum. He has pictures! That shows what can be done with a little shopping and connecting the parts.
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/showthread.php?t=26322&page=2
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

TV's are a pay me now or pay me later deal. You can buy cheap (like a Vizio) and throw it away long before you would like to because they are a disposable "third tier" brand that has crap customer support, or pay a little more up front for a name brand and when it breaks is at least fixable because the parts are available. Don't spend for the high end models as the production rates are much lower for these, and they are always changing - trying to have the latest features and performance, and as such don't get the flaws worked out. The models that have been in production the longest are the ones with the fewest problems. Go to the store with your smartphone and google the model number with the word "complaint" or "repair" and see how it is doing. LCD tv's are fundamentally a reliable technology, especially if it has LED backlighting, but the level of complexity is quite high and most all models have flaws in their design or construction. Middle of the road, Name brand, LCD with LED backlighting.

I've given up on TV anyway. It's a wasteland of content. We just use wireless laptops now and are in much better control of our eyeballs with virtually no commercials.
    There is even online channels like Satelite Direct now that for a very nominal one-time fee will give you access to the direct feed from hundreds of satelites, if that is what you want. You can even see all of the game, because the feed doesn't cut away for commercials! Besides, my laptop serves a double purpose keeping my lap warm in the winter...
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

Having a visio tv is a matter of opinion and I know some friends that have them. I have had a panasonic 47" tv for about 2 months, model TC-47ET5 led smart tv. energystar rated to use $14 per year. Kilowatt meter off 1 watt, on about 70 watt adjusted the way I like it. I had it down to 42 watts but like a real bright picture., and have it set to Vivid. I carefully researched different tv,s and had it narrowed down to either LG or panasonic. This seems like a good time to buy as prices keep dropping as they are clearing out the 2012 models. Amazobn seems to have the brst info and has the energy rateing for all the tv,s they sell. I watch off air antenna tv and of all the tv,s I have Samsung has the most deaf tuner. Solarix!! do you have a web address to post about the satelite feed you mentioned. My other hobby is satelites and I watch FTA from satelite. :Dsolarvic:D
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I assume it is www.satellitedirect.com

Regarding getting a "good brand" of TV--A couple decades ago, I used to buy Sony--But after two TVs that lasted just over two years--Cheap is "good enough" from a store with good support.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel

solarvic does bring up an aspect of today's tvs that usually isn't addressed in specs or otherwise and that is a tv's ability to pick up an over the air signal. i have found that stations i used to get with analog i no longer can pick up via digital. even the little signal strength meter doesn't show the signal as being there. vic probably picks up the stations i refer to as he's gone the extra effort to get them, but i may be closer to the stations than he is. vic, i am referring to ch 7 and 9, wheeling wv and steubenville ohio respectively. btw i tried an amp from wally world and there was 0 difference with or without it. no increase in signal was noticed on one that had about 3/4 scale. i think it was a placibo amp and you had to believe psychologically that there was an improvement.:roll:
  • Cariboocoot

We're in an RF dead zone here, so no over-the-air or cell com. It's satellite or nothing. Right now, nothing. Suits me fine.

One thing I don't like about digital is that signal drop-outs are terminal to the program; it doesn't just get distorted like analog (which your brain can make sense of) it gets gone until it's picked up again.

I like my Toshiba set. Over 100 Watts (turned down) but my eyes appreciate the 40" screen. I've got this comp screen enlarged to the max and 15" isn't very big. For all the trouble it's giving me lately (warranty ran out in October; daily blue screen death now) I may unpack the power-guzzling desktop. That's a 5X increase in power usage! :cry:
  • inetdog
    niel wrote: »
    btw i tried an amp from wally world and there was 0 difference with or without it. no increase in signal was noticed on one that had about 3/4 scale. i think it was a placibo amp and you had to believe psychologically that there was an improvement.:roll:

The only kind of amp that can make a difference when the signal level is really low is a low noise amp which is mounted right at the antenna terminals. And the biggest bang for the buck (until you run out of space) is to use a more directional antenna, in both horizontal and vertical planes. Unfortunately that usually requires rotating the antenna between stations. Which means in turn that you cannot rely on the automatic channel scan of the TV but have to manually program in each station with the antenna pointed in the right direction.
  • Cariboocoot
    inetdog wrote: »
    The only kind of amp that can make a difference when the signal level is really low is a low noise amp which is mounted right at the antenna terminals. And the biggest bang for the buck (until you run out of space) is to use a more directional antenna, in both horizontal and vertical planes. Unfortunately that usually requires rotating the antenna between stations. Which means in turn that you cannot rely on the automatic channel scan of the TV but have to manually program in each station with the antenna pointed in the right direction.

Are you old enough to remember antenna rotors? :p
    You could walk through the village of an evening and look up at the roofs and see which way the antennas were turning on the hour/half hour and figure out what the people were watching by the direction!
  • niel

inetdog,
    i understand that, believe me i do, but this isn't analog tv just raising the noise and signal both by 20db and the amp is just there to overcome the losses in the cabling or twin lead. even a working cheap amp that has gain will show an increase on the signal levels on a relative signal strength meter. that amp boasted of 20db and i would darn well see an increase on the relative signal strength meter if the amp was working.

i didn't hold much promise for using the amp anyway even if i would've seen a signal increase. i know the real answer will be a good antenna high up. those 2 stations aren't worth my effort, but maybe one day. the question remains though, is it because of the sensitivity of the tv that it is no longer there or is it other circumstances like tx power, antenna changes at their station, mode differences, etc.?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

One thing you have to worry about with amplifiers--Yes, you can see a signal strength increase--But many increase noise too... The "strength" meters on digital TVs (and GPS receivers, etc.) are really signal to noise meters--If noise and signal are both amplified--The signal to noise issue remains the same--and so does your (lack of) reception.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solarvic

Yes coot I have an antenna rotor and a fringe area channelmaster antenna that was made here before China started making them. The crt Toshiba tv,s lasted forever but the new digital ones are junk. I still have a couple toshiba crt tvs that are 22 years old, never had a problem. So budy bought a Toshiba DLP tv that barely lasted 3 years. There was a class action against Toshiba but friend was too late to join in it. Also I notced at walmart that ther big screen tv is a real energy hog. Uses $78 worth pf electric. Niel I have an amplifier too and one thing it dioes is scan in my channels twice. Was told the amplifer causes this. The first set 45-1 45-2 45-3 and 45-4 scan and has a lower signal than the second set scaned in. I think that is caused by tuner using channel 44 to scan first and uses the true channel 45 the second time it scans. I just delete the first set. :Dsolarvic:D
  • niel

solarvic,
    i get that with wtae and i am not using an amp. 4-3 and 4-4 correspond to 4-1 and 4-2 respectively. i see that nowhere else and wondered about that duplication. i guess what you are saying is that it is bleedover from the other channel due to receiver overload.
  • inetdog
    solarvic wrote: »
    Niel I have an amplifier too and one thing it dioes is scan in my channels twice. Was told the amplifer causes this. The first set 45-1 45-2 45-3 and 45-4 scan and has a lower signal than the second set scaned in. I think that is caused by tuner using channel 44 to scan first and uses the true channel 45 the second time it scans. I just delete the first set. :Dsolarvic:D

Sounds likely. The amplifier is taking a strong signal and amplifying it so much that it overloads the receiver's selectivity and shows up on two different frequencies.
    Since you may need to use a manual scan to get all of the stations in, you would have to do a manual, one channel at a time, scan anyway. And if you know the right broadcast frequency for each channel, you can only scan it once in the first place.
  • solarvic

You are right about the amplifier. I gat close to 40 channels that scanned in.Only double scans in my 45-1 thru 45-4 channels. Lots easier to delete the 4 of channels solarvic
  • inetdog
    solarvic wrote: »
    You are right about the amplifier. I gat close to 40 channels that scanned in.Only double scans in my 45-1 thru 45-4 channels. Lots easier to delete the 4 of channels solarvic

1. How are you counting the 40 channels? For example 45-1 through 45-4 is four viewable channels but only one transmission frequency, so only one manual scan operation.
    2. Are there any other channels which you might be getting if you pointed the antenna in a different direction? You can check http://www.tvfool.com/ for very useful information about US stations.

Lots of folks do not realize that when doing a manual scan you need to know what the transmission frequency of the station is, not what its channel number appears as. :-)
  • solarvic

That is at 1 location. If I fixed my rotor I could get lots more. It depends what brand tv you have also, some don,t allow manual scanning. Also even though there is a 45-1, 45-2 45-3 45-4, I don,t care if it comes from one channel,to me it is 4 different channels. I know about tv fool. I also have mpeg satelites also and know all about scanning different channels from the same transponder. Realize that off air is that way also. People that have direct tv or dish don,t know that there is 4 separate program channels on 45 as they only get 1 of them. Solarvic