CFL recomendations

Ken Marsh
Ken Marsh Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭✭
Some of you may enjoy this.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/75548.html

I feel that CFLs are already out of date.
I am not going to buy another one.
We have better alternatives.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: CFL recomendations

Lucky Americans! CFL's are the only bargain in energy-efficient lighting available in British Columbia.
    Just stay away from the el cheapo no-name-brand ones.

Canada has already outlawed certain sizes of incandescent bulbs.
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭

Coot, what size do you want. I'll ship it as photography parts :cool:
  • Dill
    Dill Solar Expert Posts: 170 ✭✭

really! I just bought another couple 60W replacement LED's for $14 each just today.
  • Cariboocoot
    Dill wrote: »
    really! I just bought another couple 60W replacement LED's for $14 each just today.

$29.98 each here.
    Philips dimmable: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/125w-led-a-dimmable-soft-white/926038

With electricity at $0.10 per kW hour it takes a long time to achieve payback.

Meanwhile a pack of two CFL 13 Watts is $10: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/mini-twister-bright-white-compact-fluorescent-bulb-13-watt-2-pack/914381

It is the 100 Watt incandescents which have been banned. You can still get 60 Watt and most other sizes. But give them time.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Wow! I only wish I could buy " 60W replacement LED's for $14" here in Nova Scotia Canada! Even at Wal*Mart there's over $1.00 per watt in that size and in the smaller sizes they're closer to $4.00/watt :(
    They're just sitting on the Wal*Mart shelves, no one is buying them at that price, other than fools like me getting one or two when we really need them for off grid use in the Winter, and then only when there were major manufacturer rebates on the price.
    All "normal" customers take one look at the price and walk over to the old style 60 watt bulbs, 4 for 99 cents. Who could blame them?
  • Dill
    $29.98 each here.
    Philips dimmable: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/125w-led-a-dimmable-soft-white/926038

With electricity at $0.10 per kW hour it takes a long time to achieve payback.

Meanwhile a pack of two CFL 13 Watts is $10: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/mini-twister-bright-white-compact-fluorescent-bulb-13-watt-2-pack/914381

It is the 100 Watt incandescents which have been banned. You can still get 60 Watt and most other sizes. But give them time.

that's crazy, those are the EXACT bulbs I just bought too! Looking at my receipt from HD, I guess they were closer to $15ea.
  • Cariboocoot
    that's crazy, those are the EXACT bulbs I just bought too!

I thought they might be.
    Like Wayne said, it's crazy up here.
    I haven't seen B.C.'s amazing 'carbon tax' save the planet yet either. :roll:
  • Dill

well, for what it's worth, they light up my kitchen quite well.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

odd as i don't see that particular led bulb on the website in a single pack. they have the 4pk with a different number, but it's the same bulb. at $94.89 that is still not even close to $15 a piece.
    http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Light-Bulbs-LED-Light-Bulbs/Philips/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbm79Z15b/R-203363486/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UEkFwSIkok4
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    odd as i don't see that particular led bulb on the website in a single pack. they have the 4pk with a different number, but it's the same bulb. at $94.89 that is still not even close to $15 a piece.
    http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Light-Bulbs-LED-Light-Bulbs/Philips/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbm79Z15b/R-203363486/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UEkFwSIkok4

In store special?
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Dill

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203406583/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=led+60W&storeId=10051
  • Cariboocoot

Uh, Dill? That one's $25, not $14.
  • Dill

must vary store to store. I have my local store selected online and it's 14.97

Attachment not found.
  • Cariboocoot

That's better! :D

Well, no; it's 1/2 the price they are up here is what it is! :grr
  • Dill

well now that I know it's such a good price, I'm going to go get two more tomorrow.
  • Volvo Farmer
    Volvo Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭

A CFL 60W equivalent uses 14W. That thing uses 12.5W. Where's the huge energy savings we were promised with LED?
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    That's better! :D

Well, no; it's 1/2 the price they are up here is what it is! :grr

If it makes you feel any better, that's half the price of my local Home Depot in WA as well!:cry:
  • inetdog
    A CFL 60W equivalent uses 14W. That thing uses 12.5W. Where's the huge energy savings we were promised with LED?

The huge energy savings which was promised was probably comparing against an incandescent! However a well designed LED unit can produce better light than most CFLs, will last a lot longer, and is more likely to be dimable with reasonable results. So even though the energy efficiency is only comparable to a CFL and not even as good as a tubular (T5) fluorescent, the price over its lifetime can be better because you would end up replacing the CFL several times. However, there is hope for higher efficiencies in LEDs in the future while CFLs have probably gotten about as good as they can be.
  • niel

are the leds fairing any better under higher ac voltages? my utility still puts it right to the edge.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    are the leds fairing any better under higher ac voltages? my utility still puts it right to the edge.
    Can't answer that one because I run all my LEDs off a Morningstar TS-300, but I can say I find them way better than the CFLs I used to have. Didn't take long for the CFL's to start showing their age, both lowering their light output and related blackening of the ends etc. Also I found rather annoying the slight but sudden and very noticeable fluctuations in light output of the CFLs. Always caught my attention, wondering if there was a poor connection in the house or inverter wiring some place. All that vanished when I went with LED, which by the way, are far, far better outside in the cold, or in unheated outbuildings. Instant on to full brightness, no matter the cold Winter nights! The CFLs were awesome when we had nothing better, but after having LEDs, I'd never go back to CFL. Never! And if you drop an LED, or bang you're head into one, there's no broken glass, blood or mercury involved.
  • niel

i see you're up late, or would that be early? anyway, if they deteriorate faster under the higher voltage as i've seen with the cfls then i may not want to do this route with the leds being they are far more costly. i see a big difference in light output between utility and inverter. the inverter is at 120vac and the utility is near 126vac and it fluctuates above and below that point somewhat.
  • Utana
    Utana Solar Expert Posts: 32

I own two of the Philips LED lights, the yellow ones. They work great, but do seem to be a bit higher wattage for the light output vs some of the other LED bulbs. I bought them because I like a more yellow-ish light and liked that they send light out in all directions. Most LED bulbs shine the majority of their light in one direction. I have been thinking of trying this one out:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064AE2K4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A2L75WCABGHRB4
    Seems to be more efficient than many of the others, for the amount of light it claims to put out. The price is reasonable too. Anyone have one of these?

Kelly
  • Dill
    Utana wrote: »
    I own two of the Philips LED lights, the yellow ones. They work great, but do seem to be a bit higher wattage for the light output vs some of the other LED bulbs. I bought them because I like a more yellow-ish light and liked that they send light out in all directions. Most LED bulbs shine the majority of their light in one direction. I have been thinking of trying this one out:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064AE2K4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A2L75WCABGHRB4
    Seems to be more efficient than many of the others, for the amount of light it claims to put out. The price is reasonable too. Anyone have one of these?

Kelly

I would agree that they seem to output more than a 60W incandescent. The two I bought yesterday replaced 2 75W bulbs in my overhead kitchen fixture, and I didn't notice any decrease in lumens while cooking breakfast this morning.
  • inetdog
    I would agree that they seem to output more than a 60W incandescent. The two I bought yesterday replaced 2 75W bulbs in my overhead kitchen fixture, and I didn't notice any decrease in lumens while cooking breakfast this morning.
    There is still some directionality of the light output, and that may be helping you a lot if the fixture is aimed to take advantage of it. That LED bulb might still be poor for a table lamp, but great for a downlight that normally takes A type bulbs.
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

Almost all of my long-running bulbs are now LED, since I'm running off-grid until 7PM every day this summer. (Went to TOU billing, don't run the AC 2-7PM and my off-peak rate is 4.5 cents/kWh - half normal. My highest bill this summer has been $56! :) )

I'm using the Phillips bulbs. Half are the 60W equiv 12.5W bulbs, several more are the 40W equiv ones that look like a regular incandescent except for the heat sink on the base, and I have two 2W "flame-tip" bulbs - one in my bedroom, one for the front porch (don't need much light there).

The porch light stays on almost all day most days, due to heavy shade, it's been in operation for over a year and still doing fine. In the bedroom I was pleased to find the LED bulb plays well with the X10 module I use to turn the light on/off. (Have the button pad beside the bed, lamp across the room.) I had tried a CFL, but the tiny trickle of current used by the X10 module itself would cause the CFL to flash dimly every few seconds when off. Not cool! No flicker at all from the LED.

The "60W equiv" bulbs do seem brighter than a 60W incandescent to me as well, a nice change from the CFLs which didn't quite make it. In rooms where I had to have 2 CFLs to feel it was "bright enough", I now only need one of the 12.5W LEDs so I'm seeing some definite reductions. The only complaint I have with these bulbs in particular is a 1/2 second hesitation between flipping the switch and the bulb coming on. None of the other LEDs do this, just this one style! I'm getting used to it, but it was quite jarring at first... I use mine in ceiling fan fixtures and floor lamps, haven't noticed any real directionality to them, they do a good job filling the room with light. Of course the floor lamps are the style that mostly shine on the ceiling for reflected illumination.

The 40W equiv bulbs are really nice for the desk lamp and reading lamp over the easy chair, as they run so cool. Perhaps it's just because I've not had lower-wattage bulbs in a long time, but they do seem *considerably* dimmer than the 60W equiv. Still, for 7W or 5W (the newest ones) they do very well. Aside from the desk/reading lamps, I use them for the hallways where I often need a light even during the day. No directionality at all with these - they "look like" an incandescent with frosted globe when operating.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    must vary store to store. I have my local store selected online and it's 14.97

Attachment not found.

I put one of these in the ceiling fixture in my garage/music studio. I don't know about the economics, but it works great. It's at least as bright as the 60W incandescent I replaced it with, and the light from it is a comfortable color and not at all "beamy". There is a slight delay when I turn on the switch (about 1/4 second) but it doesn't bother me.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    RandomJoe wrote: »
    ... In the bedroom I was pleased to find the LED bulb plays well with the X10 module I use to turn the light on/off. (Have the button pad beside the bed, lamp across the room.) I had tried a CFL, but the tiny trickle of current used by the X10 module itself would cause the CFL to flash dimly every few seconds when off. ...

I have the exact same situation - X10 for both bedside lamps, I think they are 2 watt CFLS (they've been in place for years so I don't remember). However, the lamp shades are dark enough that we can't see the flash unless we are standing right over the lamp with the other room lights off. And this is in a room that is 100% dark even mid-day. We like to sleep in on the weekends. I wondered at first if it would quickly kill the bulbs, but obviously not.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • inetdog
    techntrek wrote: »
    I have the exact same situation - X10 for both bedside lamps, I think they are 2 watt CFLS (they've been in place for years so I don't remember). However, the lamp shades are dark enough that we can't see the flash unless we are standing right over the lamp with the other room lights off. And this is in a room that is 100% dark even mid-day. We like to sleep in on the weekends. I wondered at first if it would quickly kill the bulbs, but obviously not.

You should be able to avoid the flash by providing a suitably high resistance and correct power rating resistor in parallel with the CFL bulb. That should not increase the current drain when the X10 is off, but could be an issue when the CFL is turned on. I am not recommending this or counseling you on how to do it. :-)
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

There's an easier solution, you can clip one of the diodes in the module to turn off the sensing voltage pulse. In my case the flicker is so mild I'm not worried about it but others might be able to use this.

Just found a schematic and explanation (see the 2nd to last comment on the page). Click on the schematic to enlarge it. http://www.x10community.com/marko/2006/06/disabling_the_local_control_fe.html
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is